Should I Buy a Chinese Moped?

I’m looking for my first moped, I found a 2017 Tao Tao 50cc close to me, I have read mixed reviews about them, some people say they are absolute junk, others say if you maintain them, and use them nicely, they will last you a long time. I know it’s sometimes a hit or miss with Chinese mopeds, any input from more experienced riders?* Moved to this forum by grahammotzing(edited)

Re: Should I Buy a Chinese Moped?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

They are garbage scooters, not mopeds. Try a scooter forum.

Thank you for the slightly informative slightly hostile reply, I didn’t realize they didn’t classify as a moped.

Do not buy that. If you want a scooter get a Honda, Yamaha, Vespa or Kymco. If you want a pedal start vintage moped you are in the right place for that. A 50cc scooter may qualify as a moped legally where you live, but it is not the same as a true moped, which is much more what this site is about.

It's not a hit or miss with Chinese scooters, it's just a miss

Josiah Radebaugh /

It'll run fer awhile. A little. Get a Honda, Yamaha or Vespa if ya want scoota

Buy the Taotao. Then poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick. Same thing

kevin Smellaflange /

if you get one...

you have to refer to the country of origin as...

''CcHiIiNNA'' as agent orange #45 does

Frank Bailey (MOPITT) /

I have no experience with any Chinese or other scooters of any kind. Being a mechanic this caught my eye and thought it had merit. We like mopeds here but this might help if you decide to go the scooter route. Fresh oil from new and regular maintenance works for all machinery.

https://www.ebay.com/gds/Real-Life-Chinese-Scooter-Mechanic-Here-/10000000017723074/g.html

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

Want a scooooooooooooter, get a metropolitan honda or somthin'

Want a moped go with uhhhhhhhhhh, actually just get a scooter. Mopeds are a lot of trouble. Unless you're extremely mechanically inclined.

Even then don't do it, the moped folly will haunt you for eternity.

*Attempts to put Vespa grande clutch bell on the shaft*

*Variator spring pushes the nut off if its last 2 threads*

*Spring shoots off he variator*

*everything falls apart and the woodruff key is gone*

*Still holding the clutch bell you contemplate just throwing it in the trash*

*Instead you wimper for a moment*

*Moped*

Josiah Radebaugh /

^Dont remind me of the horror that was and still could be that cursed grande's clutch....

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

Josiah Radebaugh /

Ahhh yes... Why isnt this perfectly tuned 30mph only doing 25???? Lests do and check a bunch of other stuff and then at last of the pain and suffering we'll see what carb is on it... Oh, its a 12.7 and not s 12.12....

I've had some. if you're mechanically inclined and like to fuck around it's fun to have a motorized vehicle that's essentially a throw away. The only requisite is that it's nearly free. I wouldn't pay more than maybe 150 for one, but i'd pretty gladly pick one up if it's under 100 and doesn't need to be running. when you realize how cheap parts are, and realize how essentially basic everything is, and you don't have to care about it - thus making halfass weld-on fixes mostly acceptable, you can have a lot of fun just being dumb and wrecking shit.

As a sole source of transportation? probably a hard pass, unless you were like a softmore in college and wanted to spend the next year fixing the immediate issues to have something that kinda works til you graduate? It could work.

Chinese scooters are like disposable cups. they work, just not long term

Chinese scooters are sick but only when they are free

kevin Smellaflange /

even free...they have to be in your spot, lawn, garage, storage unit, barn... etc.

every moment spent focusing on them is a waste of everyone's time but...CHINA

Louis Brunskill /

If ya want a moped type.. aka "noped" look for a Yamaha qt50. Or a Honda Express. Couple of the best kinda moped bikes out there.. "IMO" NO CHINIEZIUM scooters ever. Not even free...

A buddy has a 70cc Chinese scooter and loves it for now, but really if you like it then why not pick it up . You might read up on it first so you don't go in to it blind.

I’ve had a few Tao Tao, they can be decent if you take care of it, gotta replace a few things right away but Tao Tao is an ok Chinese brand so you’ll also want to keep a few extra parts for inevitable repair. But I do vote getting a moped and having a cheap scooter for beer runs. You can fit way more than on a moped.

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Buy the Taotao. Then poke yourself in the eye with a sharp stick. Same

> thing

LOL! Heed this!

If no sharp stick is available you can use any part that falls off the poorly assembled shitty metallurgy thing. That should provide numerous choices. My favorite is when on about a third of the 4strokers the valve tappers are loose often causing valve damage very early in life

Damn auto correct. Valve tappets

> Tri-ped Dave Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Damn auto correct. Valve tappets

Same here. Damn auto correct

Overpriced Parts /

Junk like in Chinese sail boat

i got started on chinese bikes. if you are just learing for the first time, (and you actually want to work on your bike) a tao tao is a great choice. (q-link and kymco are Taiwanese and a bit more quality) its kind of cool to get a tao tao , work on it , and then get a better brand bike. it will really teach you a ton about why a honda is better quality than a tao tao.... if you buy one, make sure it has spark and compression first...

also, make sure it doesnt have high miles and has been stored indoors, since you never want to try and rebuild the bottom end ever...

the main reason its a good idea is that replacement parts are dirt cheap. you can destroy a top end by accident and it will only cost you 30$ to get a new jug and piston... a new ignition coil is like 5$... stator coils are like 10$... so feel free to break parts all over the place and not feel an ounce of guilt... try doing that with a vintage honda or yamaha? i am still pissed about messing up a few classic bikes of mine over the years

buy a honda or something after you have figured out that you can turn a wrench and you understand the mechanics of what makes a scooter/moped run.

great advice all of it. I love how we're all kinda pro -scooter. even if your hating on it, deep down inside you know you get a kick out of riding'em. Chinese scooters are plentiful and cheap so don't pay more than what you could get a vintage moped for.

Alex quote: ` great advice all of it. I love how we're ALL (caps mine) kinda pro -scooter. even if your hating on it, deep down inside you know you get a kick out of riding'em.'

Nah,Baby,Nah! Only time you'll ever catch me riding anything as ugly as a snail scooter is if you see me on my 918 AC backhoe. LOL!

I have nothing against scooters, only ones made by what is in effect slave labor. This is why quality control is out the door. Free people build better products. For a small difference in price you can get a Kymco or Sym and the quality level and reliability jump exponentially.

true, but its pretty hard to get a sym or a kymco for 100 to 200$. if you can get it hella cheap, its the best way to start the hobby without killing your wallet.

my first scoot was a 150CC that a guy crashed and snapped the exhaust bolts off in the cylinder head. bought it for 50$, put 30$ into and sold it for 450$... used that money to buy my first hobbit. maybe this guy could end up doing something like that?

I once had like 4 or 5 chinese scoots... me and my buddies would get high down by the river and ride them in the woods. i didnt care if they crashed, i didnt care if they quit working... i wasnt worried at all. it was just fun... i miss those days.

try doing that with mopeds?... i bet i would be stressed... telling all my buddies over and over to watch their temps... id have to teach each guy how to start the damn bike... tell them about all the little quirks that the bikes have.

i might just buy a few scoots and sell some mopeds myself... i miss them.

I have owned plenty of China scoots. Those must have been some extremely tame trails. I would lose plastics or worse on the malleat bump or crack in the road. Plastic rattle traps. I would take my Puch X50/3 Alpine on any trail without fear and have climbed mountains with it. Metal vs plastic.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account