Re: New cars are shit

kevin Smellaflange /

NAPA oil filters have been cut in 1/2 to show a better design than for example; fram= the worst filter you can buy...on sale, yeah.

you get what you pay for in most cases, but people are hyper focused on sales & deals & close-outs.

I quit buying Fram after I saw evidence on the Lincoln forum of how much better a Motorcraft filter is. Nothing but Motorcraft anymore for my Fords.

Angry Hipster /

I bought an AC Delco filter off Amazon and noticed when I rubbed my finger on the threads I could see metal glitter on my finger. I thought it had to do with amazon but then I tested a few at Wal-Mart and the same thing.

I may be going to napa or wix filters soon.

Also the new cars don't even use cartridge filters anymore.. I ended up having to buy a special socket to fit the filter. All part of the master plan to try and keep the masses from performing their own service.

kevin Smellaflange /

planned obsolescence...yet another example.

put the filter were a shade tree wrencher can't reach it,or just make it need to be re calibrated every 2 seconds...LOL LOL YIKES!

i know old vw's have their flaws, but mine are still all going great..but they do get tucked in for the winter in dry storage.

i keep 3 spare motors & 2 spare trans-axles

Wix was always a good filter. I trust NAPA also, but I woulda thought AC Delco would know better than to leave metal bits in the threads. I'll be watching for that on my motorcraft.Thanks!

Angry Hipster /

I like old Volkswagens they are a car designed for the people... antiquated design but very easy to repair.

I know many people who have had their modern shitmobile mess up and require an exhorbant amount to repair that wish they would have had an old VW instead.

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I like old Volkswagens they are a car designed for the people...

> antiquated design but very easy to repair.

>

> I know many people who have had their modern shitmobile mess up and

> require an exhorbant amount to repair that wish they would have had an

> old VW instead.

It's why these CAR WARRANTY companies can charge exorbitantly per month to cover basic car repairs. People KNOW that mechanic shops charge thru the nose to repair the over-engineered vehicles of today. They would rather pay a lot per month than get the SHOCK of the engine rebuild repair or more commonly,the transmission repair, especially on these inferior FWD cars.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Jimmy, I'd never buy a cheapo off Ebay. When I have to do a job that could mean life or death to my engine,valve interference type, I definitely want NAPA quality or OEM quality.

I drive beaters and i put that ebay stuff on my car all the time. Car ran fine with the new water pump / timing belt. Short of maybe OEM stuff, id be willing to bet most NAPA parts are sourced from the same place.

RockAuto & Ebay has saved me alot of money in the past.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> Jimmy, I'd never buy a cheapo off Ebay. When I have to do a job that

> could mean life or death to my engine,valve interference type, I

> definitely want NAPA quality or OEM quality.

>

> I drive beaters and i put that ebay stuff on my car all the time. Car

> ran fine with the new water pump / timing belt. Short of maybe OEM

> stuff, id be willing to bet most NAPA parts are sourced from the same

> place.

>

> RockAuto & Ebay has saved me alot of money in the past.

Nah,there's some really bad stuff comes off Ebay. Not near NAPA quality. I bought a set of stabilizer bar links and rear toe links for one of my LSes for about a fifth of what OEM costs.

One month later,the front Stabilizer bar links were bad AND the critical toe links(rear-wheel independent suspension tie rod ends) had play in them.NOW I have to pay Ford 200 bucks apiece for the rear toe links and 230 bucks installation and ALIGNMENT to Tire kingdom since I was on the road without tools.

NEVER again, will I buy parts from Ebay.

If it works for you,that's fine.

Angry Hipster /

Rockauto is great and even Amazon offers some good deals especially when you have prime shipping.

I've bought lots of used parts off EBay, no problem, in fact when I had to replace my climate control programmer eBay seemed to be the only place offering one that was remanufactured for sale.

Now if you get a new unbranded part off eBay then you're rolling the dice.

Also I remember at the height of the Fram oil filter shit show I could hear someone start their engine and if I heard that classic, tap, tap, tap, then silence I knew it had a Fram. I surprised many people with that trick and never was wrong, lol.

kevin Smellaflange /

e-bay can & does have o.e.m & nos for sale.

proper storage is critical...

example; tires/dry rot...etc

Coker tires get me my old stuff.

Oh, I'll save money by buying OEM on E-bay, or MOOG parts...……..not used parts unless they're rare and rebuildable, like lower control arms for an LS.

For the cheapies, remember, I warned you. Cheap is usually not as good.

LOL!

Angry Hipster /

I worry sometimes about parts being warehouse clear out specials. I know the brand is good but how long has the part been sitting.

I don't know it's not like I haven't gotten a belt from AutoZone that looked like it's been sitting on a shelf forever too.

The hydra troll will probably call me nationalist or something dumb but I do not buy chinese parts at all. Too many bad stories about those.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> I worry sometimes about parts being warehouse clear out specials. I know

> the brand is good but how long has the part been sitting.

>

> I don't know it's not like I haven't gotten a belt from AutoZone that

> looked like it's been sitting on a shelf forever too.

>

> The hydra troll will probably call me nationalist or something dumb but

> I do not buy chinese parts at all. Too many bad stories about those.

You think you don’t.

Angry Hipster /

You're right about that.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> I quit buying Fram after I saw evidence on the Lincoln forum of how much

> better a Motorcraft filter is. Nothing but Motorcraft anymore for my

> Fords.

Coming from a guy who believes that angels are real, and that a talking snake convinced the first couple to sin in paradise, this makes complete sense.(edited)

Angry Hipster /

Now the bible is coming into this topic???

Why does trolling have to dumb down this off-topic section so much?

Fuck it, don't feed the trolls; I'll continue speaking mechanically.

An easy to repair modern commuter car should have fuel injection; but easy to get to injectors, ecm, fuel rails, cps sensor, and cam sensor.

The 3800 GM does ok in that the injectors and fuel rail are easy to pull, but the ecm is often buried under the dash, and the cam sensor interrupter magnet is housed in plastic and it gets brittle and the plastic fails and pieces could clog the oil pump, and you have to pull the timing cover to repair it properly.

So, the perfect commuter mobile would have injection but nothing hard to get to. . .and most importantly not plastic time bomb parts, this includes in the engine and transmission!!

Around 98 up to early 2000s, the Buick 3800 had a bad flaw...……..a plastic part, with vacuum,buried under the intake deep. Wasn't cheap for the repair either.

Just stupid stuff they do to keep their garages making money.

It failed so often I bet there was a bulletin on it.

Angry Hipster /

The intake is shit on the 3800. Stupid high tech super duper shitty composite science nerd loser type plastic that fails.

On the earlier models the intake was one piece aluminum the LN3 models..

But then on the LN3 the ignition coil was made by magnavox and was expensive and shitty.. I actually upgraded one to the next generation L27 ignition ..

If you could design a car by sitting back and select choosing components you would have a hell of a car. . . ie, Checker cars.

There’s really no fair way to even compare old to new. I can’t say that any were actually designed to be easily serviced and repaired. I feel the driving force behind things being more difficult to work on is the EPA. Not auto manufactures.

Things have become more complex by trying to make things run cleaner and more efficient to meet EPA requirements. DOHC motors have huge heads compared to an OHV engine, but are far more efficient. That’s were the majority of the room has gone under the hood.

Not sure why you’re all jacked up about the location of ECM’s. We run 20-30 vehicles through our shop every day. The last ECM i had to replace was maybe 2 years ago. And if you’re following the flow charts to the T, when it says “disconnect connector at ECM, test circuit blah blah”, you’re doing it all wrong. Besides, most are out under the hood now.

Late 80’s-early 90’s GM ECM’s had a lot of issues. I’ve replaced dozens of those in the day, but ECM issues are very rare these days. Maybe an occasional Ford with some stupid anti-theft issue.

Same goes for injectors. Very reliable component. I might replace 1 or 2 a year, but it’s always on something at least 10yrs or older. Might need to raise the upper plenum. Like 6 bolts. Big deal.

And i’ll say it again. I like timing belts. Beats the hell out of replacing chains. A chain is no guaranty against failure either.

I just did a chain on a 2.0T Genesis a few weeks ago with 71K on it. Both cams were 7-8 behind, but amazingly the valves never made contact with the pistons. Verified with my bore scope beforehand. Nice deep reliefs in the pistons with no contact. Only needed a chain and tensioner, but yeah, 71,000 miles. Wtf?

NAPA isn’t what NAPA was 30 years ago. They sell what they can get like everyone else now. Not always top quality. About 2yrs ago i had to do chains, guides, and gears on a 4.0L SOHC Explorer. Maybe 110k on it. Guides were gone, chain slapping. They have 3 chains. 2 on the front, the 3rd is on the backside of the right head. Actually there’s a 4th chain for the oil pump too. 20 hour job. Step one. Remove engine.

About 1000 miles later it was towed in again. Left chain snapped in half. No bent valves. NAPA warranted the whole job. 3000 miles later it was towed in again. Broken left chain. Several bent valves on the left bank. NAPA investigator came out. Warranted the whole job again, with Ford dealer parts. Been fine since. “Get the good stuff” lol.

None of the sprockets are keyed to the shafts. You’ll need a special $300 tool kit that holds the crank and cams in place while you torque the cam and crank bolts that hold the gears on with the special socket. Or you can make the special socket like i did and improvise the rest.

Fuck chains.

5AB1A7BF-6AEC-406A-A8CB-C539A4EFAA49.jpeg

We just had a V6 Honda that was towed in last week and the belt was several teeth off. Tensioner took a shit and the belt skipped time. New belt, pulleys and tensioner, fired right up.

Fuck chains.

Angry Hipster /

Inline Chevrolet 6 Cylinder with gears no chain > Short chain push rod engine > Belt > OHC Chain.

Ok, I'm working with you now.

And thank you for a post with some mechanical aptitude.

Dirty30 Dillon /

You're a nationalist and something else stupid.

There, you were right.

Angry Hipster /

Stop trolling

Blaine said: `About 2yrs ago i had to do chains, guides, and gears on a 4.0L SOHC Explorer. Maybe 110k on it. Guides were gone, chain slapping. They have 3 chains. 2 on the front, the 3rd is on the backside of the right head. Actually there’s a 4th chain for the oil pump too. 20 hour job. Step one. Remove engine.'

Again,Blaine,we're talking OLD vs. NEW repairability…………...your 4.0 Single overhead cam is relatively new and is not relevant, chain or not. The NEWER vehicles are not meant to be easily repaired. NOR are the timing belt equipped cars that ruin the engine half the time when they throw a belt.

AND I believe I have that exact engine in my 05 Mustang and never have had any chain problem and don't expect to. Someone dropped the ball on maintenance on that one. Or just ram-rodded it into the ground. I also have 2 Lincoln LSes with DOHC and timing chains galore and no problems in 15 years. Sure glad THEY didn't have timing belts.Ha!

Now run out there and flag down someone and change their timing belt for free,since it is so enjoyable to you,it shouldn't cost them a red cent.LOL!

Again,Blaine,we're talking OLD vs. NEW repairability…………...your 4.0 Single overhead cam is relatively new and is not relevant, chain or not. The NEWER vehicles are not meant to be easily repaired

Again Don, i’ll say that it’s not a fair comparison if we’re talking engine work. Learn something new or pay the price.

Older cars we’re meant to be easily repaired either. They just were because of their basic simple technology.

A lot of water pumps are pretty damn easy. They were usually under layers of bracketry on old stuff. Long studs froze in the timing cover small block ford shit.

Brakes are easier on new cars. No grease or tapered bearings to mess with to swap out a rotor.

I was scouring junk yards for parts before OP was even born. Most cars in the yards then averaged far less than 100k miles on them. Odometers didn’t even have a sixth digit. If a car did have over 100k on it, it usually smoked like a pig and you could hear that bottom end failure was in the near future. Planned obsolescence?

I can do some serious discount work at home don, but I don’t do free anymore. Sorry.

Quote Blaine: `I was scouring junk yards for parts before OP was even born. Most cars in the yards then averaged far less than 100k miles on them. Odometers didn’t even have a sixth digit. If a car did have over 100k on it, it usually smoked like a pig and you could hear that bottom end failure was in the near future. Planned obsolescence?'.... End of uninformed prattling.

Too bad a guy like you can't figure out that when an odometer reads 60K on old cars,it really has 160K on it. That too tough for you? If it says 30K that means it's likely, like my Ford Falcon,it has 230K. Too many for you? LOL!(edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> Stop trolling

No

And 40 yrs ago your falcon probably had 80k on it like those in the junk in the yard. You found a survivor. Yay. You act like you weren’t there don. Back in 70’s when you could still buy a used car for $25. If you were looking in the newspaper for a used car, you wouldn’t even bother to go look at cars that had over 100k on them unless you didn’t mind pouring oil in every few days, or had a motor laying around to put in it.

I just scored a 2000 Camry a few months ago for my son. Clean car. 201k on it. I put a new T-belt and a vvt solenoid on it. Nice car. Uses no oil between changes. Probably 220k on it now.

My daily driver has rolled the odometer over many times now. No it’s not the original engine, trans, or rear, but the rust is.

A0978E0A-3E50-4033-ACBE-8FAAA9E5571C.jpeg

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Things have become more complex by trying to make things run cleaner and more efficient to meet EPA requirements.

I agree with this statement! The EPA complicates alot... some for the good and some for the bad. Cars back in the day didnt have O2 sensors, catalytic converters, etc... so of course things were simpler.

Blaine i love that truck! Love the color too.

Thanks Jimmy. 13 cans of Bahama Blue. It could use a few cans of touch-up now. I might wash the mildew off of it this summer.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account