Re: New cars are shit

Angry Hipster /

My dad has a 1970 C/30 the cab is completely rusted out now and it is in the back of our property. But the inline six and transmission work fine.. It was on the road circa 2008 or so. It was originally purchased for working in Galveston Port, so it has seen it's share of salt.

Your father's truck was probably exposed to the salt roads.. They destroy everything in short order.. brutal conditions there.

But ya, the old cars customers brought it did experience repairs and we could keep them going until the inevitable stuff would happen and total them.

What really sticks in my mind is the difficulty in serviceability and the disposable nature of the modern cars. The abusive conditions in which the mechanics are forced to work due to the placement of components.

After such abuse I will gladly adjust points, or even pull and rebuild the drivetrain with a smile on my face knowing that I will be an old man or dead before it needs any major repair again.

Have you ever rebuilt the a/c system on an old and a newer car...night and day! Same system pretty much except the new cars components are placed in ungodly brutal locations!

But I am becoming aware I come from a bygone era of wanting to keep a car. I think most people have cushy office jobs/ or simple tech jobs and the money comes in like water and they spend it on new cars accordingly.

Maybe once I get the chance to go back to college I will join their ranks. Except I'll just buy an old car and be happy.

I'll disagree that all new cars are ugly because thats completely subjective.

I'm given rental cars for work, and ROMP on them. Ive put 8k miles on my current rental since february with no cares about it and none of them have given me trouble aside from a flat tire.

My problem with new cars is unnecessary tech (i.e. having a camera in the passenger side mirror)

Jimmy Cincinnati /

My problem with new cars is unnecessary tech (i.e. having a camera in the passenger side mirror)

Great point! I think every car should have A/C standard. If im feeling luxurious i would request power windows, a center arm rest, and cruise control. Most other stuff you can leave off.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Also theyre fucking huge. and while I suspect we might disagree here

> too, I love tiny little cars from like gas crisis era. Those barely

> exist anymore.

>

> I hate the size of cars. Old cars guzzle like 10mpg with those giant V8

> engines. Somehow new cars still for the most part suck on MPG as well.

> Why is it with all the innovation we have, cars still are lucky to hit

> 30mpg. Personally i think the majority of the population should be in a

> small hatch back car. So freakin practical. Fold down the seats and you

> basically have a small van, and if everyone drove smaller cars you

> wouldnt need to worry about that massive SUV running you over.

>

> The new mini work vans are pretty decent as well. Like the Nissan NV200.

> Not sure on reliability but they seem decent, and fairly simple.

>

> Also the customers who relied on their 20yr old cars were often

> completly fucked when transmissions and timing belts went out.

>

> To be fair, how many cars honestly make it 20 years of regular daily

> driving not requiring something more than a tune up? And if it doesnt

> have some bigger mechanical problem rust will probably take its toll.

> Ill send you a picture of my fathers 71 chevy truck from 20 years ago if

> you dont believe that. It was rotted out bad.

My 88 F-250 could win the ugly truck contest because the paint peeled and surface rust appeared. but hardly any rust-thru in all those years in Ohio and 179,000 miles.

Pretty easy to work on except the 460 cid takes up some room.LOL!

Computer is accessible, and most other things. Around year 2000, I believe, is when they started getting crazy with stuff.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Computer is accessible, and most other things. Around year 2000, I believe, is when they started getting crazy with stuff.

Your skating on thin Ice don! Some of us know about the dual tank crap ford "tried to do in the 80's & 90's!

new cars are ugly is definitely subjective, but I really don't dig any of the current styles and pretty bummed by the trend of everything towards SUV crossovers. Like jeep was a unique neat capable offroad designed vehicle. now most are just tuff lookin' SUV's. Look at the new Cherokee - old XJ's were brutal utilitatians, Big capital U. Now it's a minivan for people who are scared to admit they want a minivan.

And I love tiny cars, I was pumped to see the new fiat 500s and mini's, even though I don't like them I like that they exist. Theyir whole appeal was being tiny. And now thye got bigger "Town & country versions" or whatever that make them hideously ugly and just another SUV crossover - like it erased anything interesting about it to make more of the same.

Sure, I understand why, it's what sells. and 100% subjective - but I just personally find it uninspiring

I wish suzuki would import cars into the US again, the new Jimny is very neat imo. Also the mini cargo van trend is something I find myself interested in.

^ Mini cargo vans are really neat! I miss the old Toyota van where you sat on the front wheels like an old VW bus, Mitisubishi made one of those too....you never see them any more.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> Computer is accessible, and most other things. Around year 2000, I

> believe, is when they started getting crazy with stuff.

>

> Your skating on thin Ice don! Some of us know about the dual tank crap

> ford "tried to do in the 80's & 90's!

Didn't hear about it,except I did hear about the switch component from one tank to another going crazy and overfilling one of the tanks. Never happened on mine.Switch works fine. That what you mean?

P.S.: Never heard of them recalling thousands of trucks because of dangerous,rusty frames like Toymotor,either.LOL!

It's a weird nostalgia I think that makes people thing old cars lasted so much longer. I don't see lots of 30s cars in pictures from the 50s. "Classics" get kept on the road, or trailer at least, by enthusiasts but that's about it. As a kid we had a '70 Maverick that my friends made fun of because it was so old. That would have been in the mid '80s. Seems most cars through the ages have about a 20 year life span before they're in need of serious work to keep them going.

Hell. Try driving a stock early sixties economy car on a daily interstate commute. I have a dropped valve and a drivetrain swap to help explain the futility of that.

Two speed automatic transmissions. Silly enough on a moped, awful in a car.

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> It's a weird nostalgia I think that makes people thing old cars lasted

> so much longer. I don't see lots of 30s cars in pictures from the 50s.

> "Classics" get kept on the road, or trailer at least, by enthusiasts but

> that's about it. As a kid we had a '70 Maverick that my friends made

> fun of because it was so old. That would have been in the mid '80s.

> Seems most cars through the ages have about a 20 year life span before

> they're in need of serious work to keep them going.

>

> Hell. Try driving a stock early sixties economy car on a daily

> interstate commute. I have a dropped valve and a drivetrain swap to

> help explain the futility of that.

>

> Two speed automatic transmissions. Silly enough on a moped, awful in a

> car.

My 2-speed Falcon Futura would hit 100 mph any time I wanted. What 2-speed are you talking about.

Plus I could change out that tranny in an hour and a half with only jackstands and blocks. I abused that car and it always got me where I was going.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Thomas TPRF Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > It's a weird nostalgia I think that makes people thing old cars lasted

>

> > so much longer. I don't see lots of 30s cars in pictures from the

> 50s.

>

> > "Classics" get kept on the road, or trailer at least, by enthusiasts

> but

>

> > that's about it. As a kid we had a '70 Maverick that my friends made

>

> > fun of because it was so old. That would have been in the mid '80s.

>

> > Seems most cars through the ages have about a 20 year life span before

>

> > they're in need of serious work to keep them going.

>

> >

>

> > Hell. Try driving a stock early sixties economy car on a daily

>

> > interstate commute. I have a dropped valve and a drivetrain swap to

>

> > help explain the futility of that.

>

> >

>

> > Two speed automatic transmissions. Silly enough on a moped, awful in a

>

> > car.

>

> My 2-speed Falcon Futura would hit 100 mph any time I wanted. What

> 2-speed are you talking about.

>

> Plus I could change out that tranny in an hour and a half with only

> ly jackstands and blocks. I abused that car and it always got me where I

> was going.

I'm talking about the two speed that was behind my 170. After a year or so of 120 miles a day at 70+ mph, the engine gave up. It got swapped with a 250/c4/8" rear combo out of a '70s Maverick and was quite happy cruising at 80 after that.

With the C4 I can't drop the transmission by itself. The engine and transmission have to come out as a unit. It fits too tight against the tunnel. I had to "massage" sheet metal just to tuck it in there.

After upgrading the suspension completely to late '60s Mustang specs, Grenada disks up front, '90s ranger drums in the back, it even handles nicely and stops on a dime.

Must've got a bad 170 or didn't treat it right. My 170 special WAS special. No problems with engine ever. After my ex wore out the body of it, they put the engine in a sawmill, so I have no idea after the approx. 300K it really ran.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Just wanted to comment about that Scotty video.

“Headgasket failures because of fewer head bolts”?

That’s probably the dumbest thing I’ve ever head.

Coolant leaks are the most common cause of head gasket failures. Aluminum heads warping from overheating caused by a lack of coolant. Occasionally an inoperative fan is responsible.

And if you’re talking external oil leaks from a head gasket issue, it’s because it’s a Subaru.

“Engineered obsolescence”? If it is a real thing, Toyota and Honda didn’t get the memo.

Got rid of my Toyota Tacoma pickup with 380k on it,should have put new engine tranny in it. I have had a few Hyundai's now. The santa fe is a good all around suv,i have a 4 wheel drive small v6 with 230k on it. We just went looking for cars and tried crv rav 4 Tucson. Price mileage condition,ended up with another sante fe 2010,103k miles 4 cylinder limited,my daughter loves it. 5000 cash,expect it to go at least another 100k with belt change. I do love those timing chains and hope they go back to them.

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> Sparks plugs strip when removing them... You can't grasp that fact...

> How am I an idiot and you can't understand the fucking things weld

> themselves into the head??

>

> A tech lol, not a mechanic.

>

> Power....who cares...

>

> And yes, fucking tons of new cars blowing head gaskets left and right.

> It's due to shitty aluminum heads.

>

> And rubber timing belts are garbage no matter how you try and sell it.

>

> Fuck dampening the new car motors aren't as smooth as older carbureted

> v8s.

>

> And you just glossed over the fact the new cars ride like shit, lol

>

> And how many times do I have to tell you you don't pull the head off an

> old car at some random interval on an old car?

>

> Distributors and plug wires aren't that big of a deal and don't go out

> that often....fucking coil on plugs that's made of brittle plastic ya,

> that's the garbage.

>

> You just keep trying to convince yourself you know what you're talking

> about techie, lol.

I love this thread. OP is funny.

Stripped spark plug threads?

Very rarely happens, but damn man, learn how to heli-coil, stop being a whiney little bitch. No big deal, for a real mechanic.

A tech, not a mechanic?

Let me guess... You passed the ASE certification for brakes, but failed all of the other 7 areas for the Master certification, so now you’re a “TECHNICIAN”. I’m so impressed.

“Tons of new cars blowing head gaskets”?

The answer to this is simple. You watch Fox news.

“Fuck dampening the new car motors aren't as smooth as older carbureted

> v8s.“

Wait until the old “harmonic balancer” comes apart that they put on that old pig to smooth it out. And that thing was huge compared to those harmonic balancers they have now. Wait, that’s right, most engines don’t have harmonic balancers now.

And you say they aren’t as smooth. You wouldn’t be stupid enough To make this comparison between a V8 and an inline 4 would you? Never mind. You don’t need to answer that.

You must have some real meat hooks with all this breaking plastic. Plastic makes it possible dude.

Jarod v nailed this thread on so many points. You loose.

Personally I enjoy replacing timing belts. It’s easy money and usually clean work. I piss and complain about a lot of poorly thought out modern engineering too. I drive my 65 yr old truck every day, but i understand that it’s not for everyone.

But you seem to be just like a few special people i’ve worked with over the years, so i’ll give you the same advice. You probably shouldn’t spend any more money on tools. If you wanna be a real mechanic, evolve, or step aside and starve.

I’ve just read this entire thread and it’s obvious to me, it’s not about old cars vs new cars. It boils down to the fact that newer cars and progressing technology as a whole are above your skill level, and most likely always will be.

Maybe lawn and garden equipment would be a better fit for you.

Quote Blaine,LOL: `Personally I enjoy replacing timing belts. It’s easy money and usually clean work. I piss and complain about a lot of poorly thought out modern engineering too.'

You ENJOY working on ratty old timing belt cars?" That's very skewed but if it floats yer boat,okay'.

At least you told the truth about modern pointy-headed engineering' mistreating the mechanic, but it's a lot worse problem than you paint it to be.

There's no question that the older cars are easier to work on and PLENTY dependable. `

Angry Hipster /

Lol, just work on more difficult designs and helicoil shitty aluminum heads and possibly get metal shavings in the cylinder....and changing timing belts is enjoyable, lol.

I don't want to be a better mechanic. I'd rather just fix the older stuff and not contend with new crap.

I'm all for technological advances but not stupid engineering designs. No plastic or rubber or wiring internal to the engine or transmission please!!! That shit breaks and sends the cheaply built modern piece of shit cars to the junkyard.

Angry Hipster /

I kind of been wanting a checker lately with a Chevrolet inline 6 and no timing chain, turbo 400 transmission, Ford 9" differential, and a gm A6 a/c compressor.

I recently have been searching for that elusive low mileage 60s to 70s car with AC or being a convertible. I WILL find what I WANT for my next daily driver.

Just not playing these goofballs' games anymore.

I just spent an hour reading this thread, and i LOL'd at many of the comments.

Blaine brings up a good point. I'm not a mechanic. My BF works on old motorcycles, but has no experience working on modern cars (except for my Geo, which in many ways is a throwback, and pretty much a go-cart). Newer cars have much more complex systems than old cars. Generally speaking, people tend to fear that which they do no understand (read a good number of Don Ohio's posts to see this point made succinctly). Frightened people tend to lash out on that which scares them. It helps them to come to terms with their fears, or more aptly stated, it's known as denial.

New cars are not shit, though some are definitely better and/or more complex than others. Conversely, they are light years more advanced than the old clunkers from the '50's and '60's. They are more efficient, and are designed to last a hell of a lot longer without servicing major components. That, and the chances of living through a major accident in a newer vehicle are exponentially higher than in an old car (if you don't believe me, check it out for yourself):

Yes, I can work on my BF's '63 D100 with a slant-6 and a 4-speed. The thing is like a farm implement. He has to work on it all the time, so good thing it's so simple. I can definitely work on my little Geo, too (my compromise between painfully old and new, new).

As far as the Falcon with the 2-speed Ford-O-Matic being a great highway car, and another poster's old econo-car not being one, that has more to do with gearing than the transmission. An old sub-100 HP inline 6 with any transmission will hold its own on the highway if its geared for it. My dad works on old cars, and has his whole life. I guess maybe I paid attention to him when he talked about cars, which has always been often.

Interestingly enough, my dad is about the same age as one very prolific windbag of a poster here from the Buckeye State. I was actually over my old man's house today for breakfast, and I showed him this thread. His exact words were, it must hurt to be that stupid.

I love my old man, and he gets it.

Angry Hipster /

That safety video is probably part safety propaganda. I am sure there are some circumstances where being in the larger old car would be advantageous in a wreck, but no car manufacturers would post it.

Old cars look infinitely better.. new cars look like shit.

The spark plugs breaking in heads, rubber timing belts and plastic body panels are not signs of progress.. More like auto makers using cheaper materials to make more money.

I want a quality automobile that will last for many years and I need to get an older car to get that kind of quality.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> It (the pointy-headed engineer,that is) knows better than I when I

> I want it off.

Yes, engineers are smarter than you are. I suspect most insects are, as well.

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> I kind of been wanting a checker lately with a Chevrolet inline 6 and no

> timing chain, turbo 400 transmission, Ford 9" differential, and a gm A6

> a/c compressor.

I would LOVE a Checker Marathon...not seen or thought about them in years, what a beast....I wonder if there are any around anymore?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> > Thomas Davis Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I kind of been wanting a checker lately with a Chevrolet inline 6 and

> no

>

> > timing chain, turbo 400 transmission, Ford 9" differential, and a gm

> A6

>

> > a/c compressor.

>

> I would LOVE a Checker Marathon...not seen or thought about them in

> years, what a beast....I wonder if there are any around anymore?

I have a friend that has an early '70's Checker Marathon. The nice thing about it is that it's got a Chevy 350 and a TH400 trans. There will be parts for those for the next 100 years.

Yep, first time I was ever in a Taxi it was one of those, back seat area is enormous, I would imagine the trunk is too, like they made a '50's car in the '70's...they are tanks, bumpers look like they were made of highway guardrail! :)

Yeah Jethro, them there dad bern aluminum heads.

Cast irons is so much easier to fix.

^ Holy shit....

Angry Hipster /

God, you and the aluminum heads need to get a room

We tell you the problems they have and have had over they years, and show you why and you just will not accept the science and limitations that come with using aluminum heads.

Helicoil as much as you like, I for one am avoiding that junk!

Tom,Blaine has a head like a rock. Give it up.LOL!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account