Re: New cars are shit

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Ken Roff Wrote:

>

>

>

>

> > And then they came out with that junkyard law In early 90s

>

> What law?

They started to get tough on how cars are stored and steel prices shot way up at about thee same time. Lots of old junkyards got rid of most of their cars over 10 years or so old at thee time, and a bunch shut down.

Insurance for yards also changed. That’s when it became less common to be able to just go and wander yards looking for what you want.

Re: New cars are shit

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

My '98 Beetle with 2.0 engine/manual tranny, is still going strong after 21 years. The only thing wrong with it is the headliner is falling down. Other than that, no issues whatsoever. I guess I was lucky. I hope to still be driving it 20 years from now.

Re: New cars are shit

Andrew Squiggman /

This is about new cars. Not cars from the last century.

Re: New cars are shit

New cars are nasty looking crap but I hate say it but this weekend I.m going out an get a new SUV (jeep or ford) I just cant work on cars anymore since I broke my back again so if you see a driver hiding their face while driving it might be me.

Re: New cars are shit

Jimmy Cincinnati /

New cars are nasty looking crap but I hate say it but this weekend I.m going out an get a new SUV (jeep or ford) I

Dont go Jeep (nor Dodge, Chrysler, etc...) , they are putting out some real garbage these days.

My favorite car was a 2003 Hyundai Accent. Simple, cheap, reliable. Only sold it due to not having factory A/C and I had a fresh baby.

Re: New cars are shit

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I steer clear of Chrysler products (Dodge, Jeep). I've had nothing but bad experiences with late model Chrysler vehicles. My brother's late model Jeep burns over a quart of oil every 3K miles and Jeep told him it was normal.

The best new car that I've ever owned is my wife's 2009 Honda Element. It has 186K trouble-free miles on it.(edited)

Re: New cars are shit

Honda Element for the win.

Re: New cars are shit

Well, I'm gonna go with new cars kick ass right now,

my wife hit a patch of snow on the highway, prolly last snowstorm of the year sunday - all the salt and sand have already been cleared off the roads and we got a good bunch of snow. She hit a pile left by a plow switching lanes and spun into the median at like 65. the car's rocked completely off the wheels, smashed in just the right ways in all the right places, but the interior is nearly untouched except airbags, didn't even break the glass. She came out totally unscathed and less sore than I was after a 6hr plane ride. So, while I also hate new cars i'm very gladfor the safety aspects. 2013 accord. If it were one of our older other cars she'd be right super fucked up and instead is almost completely untouched. its crazy.

Then on top of that, love of my life old car 87 samurai. I fucking love that car and have trusted it pretty unwaveringly, managed to throw a rod right out the side of the engine block last night. Fucking DONE! that thing exploded. wow.

I'm gonna swap the motor soon, but that was a pretty enormous +1 for the new car and a pretty frustrating demerit -1 for the old beast.

And somehow my shitbox trashpile jetta has now outlasted both and is the only car I've got... But it's warm enough outside to bike so fuck all them cars anyway

Re: New cars are shit

Tell her to slow down next time. 65mph with the possibility of snow in your road is dumb. Those little cars get thrown and spin too easily. A large car, like a Crown Vic is more stable.

Glad she wasn't hurt.

Re: New cars are shit

Andrew Squiggman /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Tell her to slow down next time. 65mph with the possibility of snow in

> your road is dumb.

>

god you are an ass, don.

Re: New cars are shit

The element is just too ugly for me, unless I put some boost behind it.

Re: New cars are shit

Glad she wasn't hurt Will, the safety aspects of new cars is better...even though the car destroys itself in the process, but cars are replaceable, people are not.

Re: New cars are shit

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Crash safety for sure gets better, but they could achieve all that while still keeping drive trains simplistic. It’s obvious auto makers want to get us out of the engine bay and just writing checks to their mechanics.

Throwing a rod on a 32 year old cracker box Suzuki that’s been driven into the dirt doesn’t sound like a -1 to me. I doubt you’ll get 32 years out of a newer hybrid... wait till it needs new batteries haha

Re: New cars are shit

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Crash safety for sure gets better, but they could achieve all that while

> still keeping drive trains simplistic. It’s obvious auto makers want to

> get us out of the engine bay and just writing checks to their mechanics.

>

> Throwing a rod on a 32 year old cracker box Suzuki that’s been driven

> into the dirt doesn’t sound like a -1 to me. I doubt you’ll get 32 years

> out of a newer hybrid... wait till it needs new batteries haha

Thank you Jimmy the shitters were working themselves up into thinking the new stuff is somehow good. It's ok they'll keep making payments. . or keep buying second hand shitmobiles and pay sky high mechanic bills. . you can tell they haven't actually done much work to the new shitmobiles otherwise they wouldn't have this whimsical child like way of thinking. . some of these modern shit mobile repairs are more work than your average person does in their entire useless paperpushing/keyboard punching life. .

Re: New cars are shit

Got a new tracker motor for my samurai already from phil perry (thephilperry onhere)

I actually snagged it last fall but this has definitely accelerated my timeline for that, I still need to give it a small lift: the tracker's independent front suspension and can fit a deeper oil pan, need a lift to clear the samurai's solid front axle. All the parts are at our shop though, because I was under the foolish impression i'd be able to drive there and install...

Re: New cars are shit

informatique formation /

I own a CLK 200 (not compressor) of 1999. 195.000 Km so far, no problem. I wish it will survive for next 10 years, but I strongly believe that :) because these used to be real cars. I'm proud of my "George" (Btw, that's its nickaname) and I don't want to change it.

==FoFo==

Re: New cars are shit

kevin Smellaflange /

i'm happy with my car.

but i do have a spare motor for it in the garage it's an upgrade from my older 1969 vw bug...it's a '73 vw bug auto-stick...w/a torque converter, 1st gear goes 0-45 mph 2nd from 35-80 mph, low range from 0-25 mph.

it's been my daily driver, no car payments, cheaper insurance, has a trailer hitch, & a real bumper, the body steel is 3 times thicker than new 7up cans they use in newer cars.

Re: New cars are shit

I saw an air cooled bug the other day, makes some of today's cars look small...lol, there was a time when that was an ultra compact, but you can get more in a modern car the same size, and no comparison crash wise, but the bug is a breeze to fix.

Re: New cars are shit

How many old cars made a horsepower per cc from the factory?

Honestly my main gripe about new cars is that it's hard to find a really stripped down economy car. I want something with zero bells and whistles other than AC, minimum sound deadening shit. Make that thing as light as possible while still being safe. Fuel economy should be much higher on little cars than it is.

Re: New cars are shit

Yes, new cars make more power, this has been covered already. Yes new cars have crumple zones therefore making them safer...

The real issue is new cars are built in such a way that it is hell to do major repairs and they are built with such shitty parts like plastic that the repairs will be needed with age and then the car will be sent to the junkyard

Meanwhile the old cars are fun to fix and can be passed down for generations.

Re: New cars are shit

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> -

>

> Meanwhile the old cars are fun to fix and can be passed down for

> generations.

You should buy my '63 Comet. I'm tired of working on it.

Re: New cars are shit

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Honestly my main gripe about new cars is that it's hard to find a really stripped down economy car. I want something with zero bells and whistles other than AC, minimum sound deadening shit.

I completely agree. But let me add Cruise Control to that. Plus i do like power windows but that is not a deal breaker. Cruise is just nice to have on long trips. But you can take seat warmers, in dash navigation, memory seats, heated steering wheels, and etc and throw it in the garbage.

Make that thing as light as possible while still being safe. Fuel economy should be much higher on little cars than it is.

I agree completely with this. The Mini coopers get crappy gas mileage considering the size of car it is. They could build a car to get super gas mileage but they always ram way more horsepower into it then required. Like a 90's civic would have been around 100hp where as a 2019 civic is rate 158-180 depending on which model you get. Hell you dont even need 100hp for a good work commuter, geo metros were pushing 55. Im not say all cars should be "metro" slow but somewhere between 55-100hp makes a perfect small family car / work car. I wish they would stop with this power craze and give me gas mileage.

The real issue is new cars are built in such a way that it is hell to do major repairs and they are built with such shitty parts like plastic that the repairs will be needed with age and then the car will be sent to the junkyard

I will say that the cars sitting in junkyards look better nowadays haha. All that plastic makes them look like nice cars.

Re: New cars are shit

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Thomas Davis Wrote:

>

> > -

>

> >

>

> > Meanwhile the old cars are fun to fix and can be passed down for

>

> > generations.

>

> You should buy my '63 Comet. I'm tired of working on it.

You fix a 63 Comet right, and you don't HAVE much to do to it. I ran it's cousin, a 62 Falcon Futura for over 200,000 miles. Only thing I wore out were a few shocks and U-joints and ball joints. Loved it.

Re: New cars are shit

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How many old cars made a horsepower per cc from the factory?

>

> Honestly my main gripe about new cars is that it's hard to find a really

> stripped down economy car. I want something with zero bells and

> whistles other than AC, minimum sound deadening shit. Make that thing

> as light as possible while still being safe. Fuel economy should be

> much higher on little cars than it is.

Nissan Versa/Toyota Yaris were like that...no idea if still made. My Tercel could have used a bit of sound deadening material... :)

Re: New cars are shit

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Thomas TPRF Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > How many old cars made a horsepower per cc from the factory?

>

> >

>

> > Honestly my main gripe about new cars is that it's hard to find a

> really

>

> > stripped down economy car. I want something with zero bells and

>

> > whistles other than AC, minimum sound deadening shit. Make that thing

>

> > as light as possible while still being safe. Fuel economy should be

>

> > much higher on little cars than it is.

>

> Nissan Versa/Toyota Yaris were like that...no idea if still made. My

> Tercel could have used a bit of sound deadening material... :)

Still...……..yer dead in a crash. Is the mileage worth it?

Re: New cars are shit

Its a toss up, your dead in a crash on a mc/moped too.

Re: New cars are shit

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Still...……..yer dead in a crash. Is the mileage worth it?

I think if all cars were scaled down the roads would be safer... not to mention the impact on fuel consumption would drop. But we have tons of giant SUV's lurking the streets that are death for a small car.

I wonder when or if they will incorporate GPS units to govern engine speeds to posted speed limits. Make it impossible to speed basically. Im also surprised CDL trucks dont have lights that flash when the truck has some sort of defect (a light not controlled by the driver)... sort of like alerting any near by enforcement that the driver needs to be grounded. Im not for this kind of thing but i am surpised i dont hear people talking about it.

Re: New cars are shit

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Still...……..yer dead in a crash. Is the mileage worth it?

>

> I think if all cars were scaled down the roads would be safer... not to

> mention the impact on fuel consumption would drop. But we have tons of

> giant SUV's lurking the streets that are death for a small car.

>

> I wonder when or if they will incorporate GPS units to govern engine

> speeds to posted speed limits. Make it impossible to speed basically. Im

> also surprised CDL trucks dont have lights that flash when the truck has

> some sort of defect (a light not controlled by the driver)... sort of

> like alerting any near by enforcement that the driver needs to be

> grounded. Im not for this kind of thing but i am surpised i dont hear

> people talking about it.

I think about how they need to limit the size of vehicles for the average consumer all the time as well. All it takes is the right person to die in a wreck and then the ol' legislature starts turning.

It is retarded we have desk jockeys driving F250s and 350s for no reason!!!

We need to limit Class C license to 1/2Ton and require a special license for those behemoths AND a manifest to prove they're not just fucking around with the truck and actually using it for work.

Re: New cars are shit

Still,my experience is that the some of the worst drivers are IN those small cars. They weave in and out, don't signal and are just heading for an accident a lot of times. Ninja bikes,CrotchRockets,etc. also have a lot of bad riders out for a thrill.

People too are mad all the time. Nobody has patience anymore . Driving is becoming riskier by the year.

Re: New cars are shit

Jimmy Cincinnati /

We need to limit Class C license to 1/2Ton and require a special license for those behemoths AND a manifest to prove they're not just fucking around with the truck and actually using it for work.

Im conflicted on this. While i would love to see them do something like that i dont like the idea of the government dedicating what kind of cars we are allowed to drive. Maybe we just really need to test people stricter.

Still,my experience is that the some of the worst drivers are IN those small cars. They weave in and out, don't signal and are just heading for an accident a lot of times.

Its a mixed bag, i see plenty of SUV's driving like maniacs.

Want to reply to this thread?

We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first you'll need to login (or create an account).