Re: New cars are shit

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Thanks Jimmy. 13 cans of Bahama Blue. It could use a few cans of touch-up now. I might wash the mildew off of it this summer.

I actually like your truck more because it looks like you actually use it. Im all for keeping it going but please dont restore it!! (i know you werent restoring it) There are too many "museum" pieces out there already, it takes the fun away from that stuff for me.

Seriously i love that blue. Maybe Ill paint my GT80 that color.

Angry Hipster /

That truck is awesome and some good points have been made.

We must all stand in awe of the mighty Chevrolet inline 6 with no chain or belt. That was a serviceable design meant to last!

Also transmissions, the Turbo 400 is the best in the world. Nothing is as durable, serviceable, and upgradable as it. All other transmissions may save fuel, but they are not designed to last like the Turbo 400.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Also transmissions, the Turbo 400 is the best in the world. Nothing is as durable, serviceable, and upgradable as it. All other transmissions may save fuel, but they are not designed to last like the Turbo 400.

Its seems to me that modern cars are designed to get 200K out of a auto trans. So if that Turbo 400 gets 10mpg while modern cars are getting 30mpg i think your better with the newer stuff in terms of saving money over the course of a life span. Stories of people keeping their old school cars and racking 500K on them are far and few between and therefore most people will not get a benefit out of owning a Turbo 400 trans.

Angry Hipster /

It's not just the miles, but the fact the turbo 400 ages so well. Time won't kill it like the plastic solenoid actuated shit transmissions.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Also transmissions, the Turbo 400 is the best in the world. Nothing is

> as durable, serviceable, and upgradable as it. All other transmissions

> may save fuel, but they are not designed to last like the Turbo 400.

>

> Its seems to me that modern cars are designed to get 200K out of a auto

> trans. So if that Turbo 400 gets 10mpg while modern cars are getting

> 30mpg i think your better with the newer stuff in terms of saving money

> over the course of a life span. Stories of people keeping their old

> school cars and racking 500K on them are far and few between and

> therefore most people will not get a benefit out of owning a Turbo 400

> trans.

^^Agreed as far as modern transmissions are concerned. As far as old stuff, Chrysler A747 > GM TH400, IMHO.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

It's not just the miles, but the fact the turbo 400 ages so well. Time won't kill it like the plastic solenoid actuated shit transmissions.

Time did age it, with gas prices the way they are we need better MPG.

Again,you miss the point...………….the ones in the junkyard probably had ONE-HUNDRED EIGHTY THOUSAND,instead of EIGHTY THOUSAND. Do you get it yet?

This was accomplished on inferior oil,tires, batteries, antifreeze, and terrible roads,a lot of them dusty gravel roads AND mostly NO overdrive on those cars. THINK about it!

BTW, my 62 Falcon HAD the 230K on it by year 1974, 45 years ago. Never quit.still ran strong and didn't use oil.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

I like my Powerglide slushbox. Rebuild kit is like $99 and it takes about an hour to rebuild once it’s on the bench.

Here’s a “Money Shot” of my piece of shit truck. Hehehe. Enjoy.

45B2D342-441B-44CB-A828-118E77AAF72B.jpeg

Sorry don. You can’t bullshit me. I was there. I lived it. You on the other hand were too busy with church activities.

> Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

> Sorry don. You can’t bullshit me. I was there. I lived it. You on the

> other hand were too busy with church activities.

No BS here...…….I'm 67 yrs. old and worked in a stock car garage at 15-17 yrs. old and you tell ME you lived it and I didn't? LOL!

Angry Hipster /

Why does everyone shit on Don's religion? I don't get it.

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> Why does everyone shit on Don's religion? I don't get it.

A lot here don't respect God's book He gave to man thru inspiration of its Writers,Tom. They don't like it when I ruin their evolutionary ridicule with Bible scriptures.

It's okay. They've never had a chance to examine the accuracy of prophecy vs. observed history.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Sorry don. You can’t bullshit me. I was there. I lived it. You on the

>

> > other hand were too busy with church activities.

>

> No BS here...…….I'm 67 yrs. old and worked in a stock car garage at

> 15-17 yrs. old and you tell ME you lived it and I didn't? LOL!

67 huh? You’re pushing Alzheimer age now. Hmmm. Of course there are always a few exceptions to everything, but it’s a well documented fact that the typical life expectancy of vehicles 50 yrs ago was around 100k.

They last longer now. Not an opinion, just the facts. The same thing that puts cars in the junkyard today is the same thing that put them there 50 years ago. Nobody wants to spend more to repair it than what the vehicle is worth. Economics 101.

You must have missed your AARP Newsletter about modern vehicles.

Don't bother with the mildew, adds character, is that a clock face on the firewall?(edited)

Yes Stephen. Somewhere along the way someone used an AMC donor car for the engine, trans, rear, steering column and wheel, and the heater box assembly. The heater box had a thru-firewall blower motor similar to the original, but at a different location, so they cut a huge hole in the firewall. I sourced an original heater box to replace it. The clock face was the only thing large enough in my scrap bin at the time to cover the entire hole.

I replaced the shit AMC column with a 58 Fairlane column with a Ford-o-matic column shifter and a 53 Truck steering wheel so it looks original, and a mid 80’s Toyota truck power steering gear box for some much needed power steering.

The guy I bought it from installed the 283/powerglide and 3.70 9” rear. The 283 is 65-66 era according to the carb tag. Notice the “no pcv” valve covers. Just a draft tube to the road. And a fucking rag for an oil cap, piece of shit truck. Lol

Early 80’s lincoln master cylinder, Chrysler radiator. GM “1 wire” alterator. The entire engine wiring harness will fit in your pocket. I re-wired the harness to the rear lights with several feet of an old heavy duty black rubber 12-2 w/ground extension cord. No backup lights, no windshield washers, no 4 way flashers. All options in its day.

61-66 f series 9” rear bolts right under the 53-56 trucks. I think he put the high back Camaro seats in it on a square tubing nightmare of a frame. Floor shifter was close to the floor and you had to reach back towards the back of the cab. Dumb. High back seats don’t work in these trucks, so i put an original bench back in and made linkage for the column shifter.

I slammed the front by removing all but three plys from each front leaf spring. Original spring stacks in rear with overload ply stacks on top. New spring pins and bushings on all 4 corners. New kin pins and bushings. Added a FAT swaybar to the front and a “solid” bar tierod. Added the wheels and 255/70/15 BFG/TA’s.

Rides nicer than a mustang GT, accelerates faster than your Yarus, it’ll haul over a ton and a half of scrap steel with ease, and it handles way better than a Grayhound bus. Still rockin’ 11” drums on all 4 corners. I can easily lock all 4 at any speed. The sound is more effective than any horn ever made. Screeching hollering tires always turns heads. ;)(edited)

Love it!

Ps: Patch of fiberglass insulation improves choke thermostat operation below 20F, and yes, points are still found under that cap. I’ve never met a set of points i couldn’t make work. Try that with a module sitting on the side of the road.

No modules or even relays are used in the operation of my truck. I think there’s 2 or 3 fuses somewhere, but i’m pretty sure they’re wrapped in foil.

I know new cars suck so I just picked up a new hyundai santa fe sport. I hate working on cars anymore so I'm going just roll with it.

^ lol. Pretty sure as far as this thread is concerned, anything made by Hyundai isn’t old yet, even though many Hyundai’s could be tagged as “antique”.

kevin Smellaflange /

DON...you assume that they have actually read the bible.

> Brent Eaton Wrote:

> DON...you assume that they have actually read the bible.

Have you read the Quran?

> > Brent Eaton Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > DON...you assume that they have actually read the bible.

>

> Have you read the Quran?

You do not have to read a whole false religious book to pick up on doctrines unbefitting to kindness and understanding. Here are some of those demeaning beliefs which are NOT comparable to the fairness of the New Testament concerning treatment of women. If you are a MAN and Muslim,works out pretty good for you.not so the women.

Exceprt: `One of the attributes of Allah is that Allah has no body and no gender. Yet Allah is always referred to as “He.” In Arabic, genderless nouns are generally given the male form. This clearly illustrates that in Arabic Islamic society, males are seen as superior to females.

The requirement that women cover their hair and dress modestly is demeaning and discriminatory. The restriction is used to justify mistreatment of women with uncovered hair, exposed arms, etc., by suggesting they “asked for it” by being immodest.

While many specifics of Sharia law (Islamic religious law) are not found in the Qur’an, traditional Muslim texts and practice are used to justify restrictions which limit women’s access to education, transportation, employment, making women reliant on men for these fundamental rights and denying women self-determination. In countries where this is the case, women and girls experience oppression, whatever the Qur’an says.

If lowering the eyes and softening the voice are recognitions of personal power and displays of humility before God, why are men not required to do it as well as women? The fact that this is not required of men demonstrates the expectation of women being submissive.

Unwillingness to question different requirements for men and women is a sign of ongoing oppression. Does something being done many times and having the force of habit make it right?

Acknowledging that Muhammad was ahead of his time, valued women enough to assert their equality with men, and changed their standing in society for the better, would he not want today’s women also to be equal with men? If Muhammad could see that the way Sharia (Islamic law) is applied today keeps women from opportunity, freedom, and happiness, would he want things done differently?' END

I never hear you talk about the Old Testament don. What’s wrong with it?

> I never hear you talk about the Old Testament don. What’s wrong with it?

It is not what we're to follow as Jesus directed. The LAW (old testament regs.) were nailed to the cross when Jesus died for us.

The NEW law had been laid out by Christ and his example for us to follow closely.

Great things in ta Old Testament,but we are not bound by the extensive laws God gave the Hebrews.

The principles of the old law are valuable to this day. Such as remembering the widows and orphans, helping the oppressed, loving our neighbor.

So why have you changed the subject from Quran reading, Blaine? Hmmmm?

Say what you will about new cars, but I've come to very much enjoy the heated seat and steering wheel in my rental when I get in at 3am in january.

Angry Hipster /

Stuff like that isn't difficult to add to old cars.

I think some guy in this thread said the number of people who work on cars is like 9% of the population and dwindling.. so therefore we have a few in here that get it.

The rest will never need to do extensive work to their cars so this issue means nothing to them ... yet they chime in and are like no wait, my new car has doodads and I don't have to adjust points... It's awesome!!

So I guess I should have said new cars are shit to keep for decades and pass down to multiple drivers... for that the old cars are better.

Because I didn't really specify that in my title, I have to admit I am wrong. The new stuff does seem to go about 10 yrs and hit 100k no problem.... but after that watch out!! It's not like you can pull the engine/transmission easily and have it rebuilt cheaply...

kevin Smellaflange /

i can't read Hebrew...

but i don't pull rank on there religion either.

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> Stuff like that isn't difficult to add to old cars.

You're right, but I have a hard time trusting aftermarket products like that, they might be 100% safe but I have a personal fear of malfunction on the manufacturer side and burning my car to a crisp

irrational? maybe but whatever

I have the OHV 4.0 in my Aerostar, and it will run forever. OHC engines are NOT superior. They are just more trouble.LOL!

Andrew Squiggman /

300!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account