New cars are shit

Angry Hipster /

Maybe I'm just being crotchety at the age of 32 but I'm really sick of new cars.

They generally can make it 200k or so in about 10-15 years reliably but after that all hell breaks loose. Too many plastic parts in the engine and transmission and accessibility is really a problem.

I'd rather have a simple to maintain car that is geared towards longevity instead. No science projects please... long production cycles are a good thing I'm my eyes versus the average consumer's auto fad hopping dbag.

They will likely never build a decent car again that can be driven and passed down generation to generation easily.

Because of that I hate new cars, those who encourage this mindset and those who are too dumb to realize it. Shitters is what they should be called. Fuck the shitters and their shittermobiles.

Re: New cars are shit

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Eh, depends on what car, just look at the last generation Renault Laguna, they were Built between about 2008 and 2015 if i remember correctly, there are a lot of examples with 200'000-250'000miles and sometimes more.

Bring back the 93 Camry!!! 90s Toyota's are the last of the cars you can actually work on without needing to take off 10lbs of plastic covers. I drive a 81 Benz 300d turbo and it has about 550k on it, its got a little bit of blow by these days but its still ticking. Ive been using the peanut oil from the chineese restraunt behind my house and now my car smells like fried rice and tempura going down the street.

My 93 Camry wagon was cool until it wasn't. Sold it to Alex Groh for nothing. Now I won't own anything old as hell or at least new enough for obdii.

It's give or take. New cars seem to hold up better to the elements, things like plastic inner fenders and such that don't start rusting as soon as you drive it off the lot. I don't think anyone misses having to clean carburetors, or replacing points every 5000 miles or whatever. I think the worst things are that most new cars are fairly ugly, and they all look pretty much the same. It seems like nobody is willing to try anything new. Half the current cars are rehashed 70's designs. The other thing car makers are bad at is packing shit so its hard to work on so you basically have to tear the whole car apart to replace anything bigger than an oil filter.

Renault? I had a 18i that ran for years that I paid $250 for. god it was ugly and ran for 400k maybe 500k until I sold it to the state for a grand.

The idea is that they don't want you working on it, at ALL. Most people are not "into" their cars like they used to be, hence the boring styling, and they have no interest in repairing/maintaining it themselves. I was at a shop recently and everyone in line ahead of me had a bill of over $1,000!!!! Ouch, but if you have a loan and need it for work/life, what choice do you have? The '90's through early 2,000's Toyota's were some of the best built cars, Honda too, but they were a little more delicate, more sensitive to abuse, but if maintained they will also go longer than you want them to. :) I love older cars, there are improvements of more modern designs, fuel injection for one, and corrosion resistance has dramatically improved. What I really like is the no car payment thing. Cars like almost everything new today are geared towards our disposable culture, it is a waste really. I like utilitarian things, f-fancy, fluff is a waste of money, but it sure sells. Give me steel wheels not "pretty" alloy rims etc. Of the close to 100 cars I have owned only 2 have been bought with under 100,000 miles on them. Many with over 200k and many driven to that mileage and sold running. Obviously none new. Too much depreciation to make new worth it. Buy one yr old, save thousands of dollars. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I guess if you have a lot of money or don't mind debt new is nice, you get a warranty etc, but if you are working class you can save a lot by driving an older vehicle, even if you have to learn to work on it yourself or at least know enough about it to buy your own parts and know when you go to a shop what is wrong and tell them what to do, not just go in there saying it is making a funny noise... I may, next year get my first vehicle with a loan, as I'm getting too old to enjoy working on cars as I once did, and I finally found one that will fill all the needs I have of a vehicle, but it is a MAJOR mental struggle to take on that kind of debt, vehicle will be in the 10-13k range, still cheap by today's standards. See my "cars for moped prices" thread for more beater talk. :)

I got a 97 jetta, it is a fucking shitshow and only 75k miles. Most recently it's been randomly locking me in the car so I have to crawl out the window, or trying to open the sunroof when it's been parked. Or worst itll randomly decide the lights are on and beep to remind me to turn them off. But they are off... and then the beeping kills the battery. Ironic.

Still, I bought it for 800, I got like 300 into it and I could sell it for 1100 probably. I really want an old volvo.

I will say vs my 87 suzuki alot of it is easier to work on because on the suzuki every fucking bolt is so rusted i have to break them off and drill em out and replace entirely. On the jetta it's only like20%rusted in place

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

DUH! ...

26113738_10211326355498057_2174711033109464358_n.jpg

Jetta's are shit shows, the first gen diesels were ok.... for a Volvo only a 240, wagon if you can find a clean one, with a stick if you can get it, the od frys on the automatics, but they remain drivable, everything on them was designed to be worked on, the only weakness is the lights, they have an awful time keeping all the tail/brake lamps working. They also rust out...bad. That is the ONLY Volvo I would buy the rest are overly complicated and expensive to repair, and some have 5cyl engines....so wrong...lol.

New cars are so ugly. Slant-eyed headlights. Who needs the ugliness. Next car if my Lincolns ever wear out or my 94 Aerostar ever wears out, will be 60s Ford or early to mid 70ish Ford. My dream car is the 63 Galaxie 500XL Convertible.

Not gonna be played by these dunderheads designing cars nowadays.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> New cars are so ugly. Slant-eyed headlights. Who needs the ugliness.

> Next car if my Lincolns ever wear out or my 94 Aerostar ever wears out,

> will be 60s Ford or early to mid 70ish Ford. My dream car is the 63

> Galaxie 500XL Convertible.

>

> Not gonna be played by these dunderheads designing cars nowadays.

'74 continental????

> __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ Wrote:

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > New cars are so ugly. Slant-eyed headlights. Who needs the ugliness.

>

> > Next car if my Lincolns ever wear out or my 94 Aerostar ever wears

> out,

>

> > will be 60s Ford or early to mid 70ish Ford. My dream car is the 63

>

> > Galaxie 500XL Convertible.

>

> >

>

> > Not gonna be played by these dunderheads designing cars nowadays.

>

> '74 continental????

Nice! But too big for the wife to hoss around. That's why I have the Lincoln LSes right now.

Gas mileage too. The proper gearing on a 289 or 390 or even a 428 brings the lighter Ford's mileage way up.

WIFE! oooooohh. . . .

Brad William /

Wish my 1994 red chevy 1500 wt "work truck" was new. 2wd, v6, throttle body FI, stick shift, vinyl floors, crank windows, am radio. square as a solid brick no nonsense body styling. 180k and bulletproof if it werent for the fkkkn michigan road salt.

open the hood and you can see road on either side of the engine, jus like grampas ol truck. literally nothing in the engine bay you cant easily see and reach.

a lot of new electronics and chips and modules have to support emissions, efficiency, etc. i get it. but much more of this error/failure prone electronic horseshit feeds some weird arrested development urge for evermore "shiny objects". "onstar...make my lunch reservation". "alexa, open my trunk lid". "alexa, cue the tinted washer fluid, multicolored led, wiper coordinated musical fountain to jimmy buffets greatest hits".

wifes grocery getter, soccer mom caravan, get to work suv sits in the shop for three days to repair the broken tinted washer fluid, multicolor led illuminated, wiper coordinated, musical fountain.

consumer reports regularly lists reiability and satisfaction stats. Failures of this mostly extraenneous electronic gee-gaw bullshit always tops the lists. and this info is available for all to learn. and how do we respond each model year?

"Give us MORE!"(edited)

It would be great to have a car to pass down generation to generation. The problem is maintaining it, or even building it. And then converting the braking system to a more reliable one. I actually have an invention which involves easily interchanging old performance motors to new cars but the idea probably won't work well because of pollution control laws.

Brad William /

"Shitters is what they should be

called. Fuck the shitters and their shittermobiles."

...and im geezer old enough to catch the Christine reference.

Definitely brakes need upgrading,at least the front need disc brakes on older cars,along with dual reservoir master cylinders.

kevin Smellaflange /

ever read the book...unsafe at any speed?

that's why i still use my 1973 vw bug w/ a trailer hitch, as my daily driver.

my back-up car is a 1969 vw bug.

the advantage is in the insurance..$130 per year...

& being able to change the motor for a spare on in an afternoon, no-lead valves keep u @ the 91 octain pump. the gas is a respectable 31 mpg.

bumper cage for my 107lb. moby.

dry storage for off street parking & wrenching.

i still wouldn't get a new or used car.

planned obsolesce.

Angry Hipster /

Yes, planned obsolence. The cars from 2000s on are are ugly and built to be shit in a junkyard.

Count me out. I want an easy to get to and easily rebuildable engine/transmission. I don't want year to year variations and I don't want any plastic parts in the engine or transmission.

I don't want a plastic intake, hell I don't even want an aluminum intake, cast iron is the way to go, and no coolant running through it either. Exhaust heated or non heated intakes are the way to go.

Aluminum heads belong on race cars only as do 200degree plus thermostats, especially when running a piece of shit paper thin plastic radiator and plastic fan witn a chinese made motor. Also plugs should be able to be changed without stripping and valve seats should never drop!

Head gaskets that fail due to poor design should not be tolerated, yet the dbags live with it and try and upgrade it by using different studs and such......nonsense fucking nonsense... what total shit.

Electronics should be limited and easily serviceable, no a/c actuators buried in the dash or sensors or programmers or ecus. They could put them under the dash but make sure it's easy to get to. Once again the shitters don't care.

Multi coil ignition systems are great but don't use plastics within the engine to make it happen. Fuel injection is fine, but stick with sequential. Variable valve timing, overhead cams with plastic tensioners and other modern junk won't last for generations and will send a slew of shittermobiles to the junkyard.

To give an annoying example of over-engineering...……..the computer on my Lincoln LS will override the AC OFF mode when I put it into that mode.

It (the pointy-headed engineer,that is) knows better than I when I want it off.

This will be remedied by a cut-out switch shortly that I'll install.

It's a 2003 and it's over-engineered badly.

Overpriced Parts /

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> Yes, planned obsolence. The cars from 2000s on are are ugly and built to

> be shit in a junkyard.

>

> Count me out. I want an easy to get to and easily rebuildable

> engine/transmission. I don't want year to year variations and I don't

> want any plastic parts in the engine or transmission.

>

> I don't want a plastic intake, hell I don't even want an aluminum

> intake, cast iron is the way to go, and no coolant running through it

> either. Exhaust heated or non heated intakes are the way to go.

>

> Aluminum heads belong on race cars only as do 200degree plus

> thermostats, especially when running a piece of shit paper thin plastic

> radiator and plastic fan witn a chinese made motor. Also plugs should be

> able to be changed without stripping and valve seats should never drop!

>

> Head gaskets that fail due to poor design should not be tolerated, yet

> the dbags live with it and try and upgrade it by using different studs

> and such......nonsense fucking nonsense... what total shit.

>

> Electronics should be limited and easily serviceable, no a/c actuators

> buried in the dash or sensors or programmers or ecus. They could put

> them under the dash but make sure it's easy to get to. Once again the

> shitters don't care.

>

> Multi coil ignition systems are great but don't use plastics within the

> engine to make it happen. Fuel injection is fine, but stick with

> sequential. Variable valve timing, overhead cams with plastic tensioners

> and other modern junk won't last for generations and will send a slew of

> shittermobiles to the junkyard.

I don’t know, my 2000 Honda odyssey runs pretty darn good, my 2003 Chevy Astro runs pretty good and my son’s 2008 ss cobalt turbo blasts pretty hard with added boost/computer tune,

All have between 110 to 193k mi and all sit out in the elements, I live in the rust belt too,

My son had a few cobalts that all had variable valve timing, all you Gotta do is replace the sensor with A Genuine AC Delco ones maybe every 75k,

Today’s cars have two to three times the horsepower or more for the same fuel economy with 1-5% of the pollution they had and fuel injected today’s cars usually have twice or more the engine life compared to carbureted car unless you get the carburetor rebuilt every year

And make sure a car carb choke never sticks, if you have to drive with the choke stuck on the way home from work you better change the oil because it’s contaminated with gas and would wear out the engine fast, many people back in the day never did that and many 60s and 70s cars engines would start to go bad at 40,000 miles,

I do like old cars and have had old classic/performance cars, they are fun and easy to work on but as far as a 2000s car that has some family/moped carrying capabilities if somebody offered me a free or cheep a midsize SUV or mini van I would drive the hell out of it,

Heck for the past like 10 years even minivans had like 280 net hp with ok gas mileage and last for 200-300k mi

Angry Hipster /

Ken your cars aren't that old check back in 10 years when they're in the junkyard

And sure modern cars create power, and don't drive with the choke stuck, duh. I used to just let the car idle a minute and tap the gas to take it off high idle.

And even if the old cars need an engine rebuild so what, it's not that difficult on the older vehicles meanwhile your cars will be in the junkyard when it needs a rebuild.

as your fore father before , you have been conditioned to be subservient. you will buy what they tell you. your broken.

new cars ARE shit. my newest vehicle is my grom and i hate how much plastic is on that...

otherwise, some 70's/80's mopeds. my daily 91 S10, offroad 93 samurai, toy cars 91 gtr and '85 F20 swapped rx7, and a 98 ktm 300 2stroke dual sport. old stuff DOES IT BETTER. sure the new audi RS3's are nice and fast af, til they brake and cost $1k + for a single failure point

> Brent Eaton Wrote:

> ever read the book...unsafe at any speed?

>

I’ve had swing axle cars, cars with the tank in the hatch, cars with lots of interior chrome, cars with gaudy over styled front facades, still have a car with a solid steering shaft.

Overpriced Parts /

> Thomas Davis Wrote:

> Ken your cars aren't that old check back in 10 years when they're in the

> junkyard

>

> And sure modern cars create power, and don't drive with the choke stuck,

> duh. I used to just let the car idle a minute and tap the gas to take it

> off high idle.

>

> And even if the old cars need an engine rebuild so what, it's not that

> difficult on the older vehicles meanwhile your cars will be in the

> junkyard when it needs a rebuild.

Late 70s and 80s cars were in the junkyard in six and seven years most times

And then they came out with that junkyard law In early 90s

Angry Hipster /

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> Late 70s and 80s cars were in the junkyard in six and seven years most

> t times

So you're saying most cars from the 70's and 80's were in the junkyard within 6-7 years? Or that you could occasionally see cars that old in junkyards?

Because there are tons of new cars in the junkyard now, and I really doubt most cars were in the junkyard within 6-7 years back then...

>

> And then they came out with that junkyard law In early 90s

What law?

New cars aren't shit per say, they are built to a price and the systems are too integrated and complex, so when one thing goes done, the rest is fucked up.

So, yeah, they are shit.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account