I bought a dual sport! who else likes dual sports?

i purchased a CRF250L with 4000 miles for 3 grand last january. I love it so far! but its still not warm enough to ride to work :-(

who else here has a dual sport bike? what make model and year do you have? :-)

I get really tired when riding it for more than 2 hrs... but i am hoping that changes when the temperatures get above 50°F

Re: I bought a dual sport! who else likes dual sports?

Most of my bikes have been dual sports. I got a 2001 KE100 for real cheap this fall, I've been ripping around on it a lot but it does not like the cold at all

I've had several KE's and a G5, a G4TR and the 2012 KLR650 (pictured below), now I am riding a 2007 BMW G650X Country (pictured below KLR picture).

00I0I_4Ilo6jbYs3Z_1200x900.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg
IMG_0681.jpg

Dual sports are great, I use mine as a commuter some days and taking it camping in the middle of the mountains others. If I could only have one bike it would probably be a mid-size dual sport bike.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

Anyone got a Dual Sport Moped?

> Chöschi21 C.K. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone got a Dual Sport Moped?

WFFF

> Derek Stahl Wrote:

> I've had several KE's and a G5, a G4TR and the 2012 KLR650 (pictured

> below), now I am riding a 2007 BMW G650X Country (pictured below KLR

> picture).

>

> Dual sports are great, I use mine as a commuter some days and taking it

> camping in the middle of the mountains others. If I could only have one

> bike it would probably be a mid-size dual sport bike.

Nice bikes! I agree, I loved my KLR 250 (even though I went through 2 exhaust cams in only 500 miles) and, my XT 250. I've been trying to find a good deal on a XL600 for a while now.

> Chöschi21 C.K. Wrote:

> Anyone got a Dual Sport Moped?

I know a few people with Derbi RD50's, does that count?

Josiah Radebaugh /

I kinda like Honda Monkeys which are considered a dual sport, so yes.

Half the swoops own small enduros. We have 2 Super Sherpas, a klr250, a wr250, and I have an xt250.

If you include 50cc enduros, we have a slew of them. I have two yamaha dt50mx, nick and eugene have Honda MT5s, NickB and Syn have Sendas, Andy has a Rieju RR Black but it's an SM so kinda not an enduro anymore. I think Will still has his Suzuki TS50. Probably forgetting a bike or two.

I like to call us an underpowered enduro club. Except the wr250, that bike moves.

I love Enduros. Have been moving that way for a few years.

Had a 1991 Yamaha XT350 I did some porting to and then a kid made made a great offer and it is gone. Great bike.

I then moved to a 1985 Honda XL600R. It is on the lift now getting a very good porting job, 11:1 piston, Cam for low end torque, pipe, SS Valves, Better Springs and so much more. This will be my "Keeper Enduro". I went on a number of runs with it last year. Loved the fit and feel. For me it is my most comfortable bike for long distance. Not a big fan of the new tall bikes. I just do not need the ground clearance. Love the older ones like the XL600.

But my first Keeper Enduro is my wonderful CZ 175 trail. I just love the bike.

Pictures below.

P1010047.JPG
IMG_0097.jpg

^ The Honda is awesome!

Dirty30 Dillon /

I have always loved dual sports, I have a '73 XL175, a '80 TS250, '74 TS100, and the newest is a '86 Cagiva Elefant 125.

IMG_20190208_183749.jpg

Jimmy Cincinnati /

WFFF

Welsh Free Flight Federation?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I have a couple Yamaha GT80's & a couple Honda SL70's. All but one of the Sl70's has a title. I plan to do some dual sport mini riding soon! My main ride this year will be my 1980 Yamaha Gt80 (red). I have the top end off right now as Im replace gaskets. Also have new crank seals, chain/ sprockets, tires, cables, and etc...

Ive debated making my Honda CB250 Nighthawk a dual sport.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> WFFF

>

> Welsh Free Flight Federation?

Wisconsin Free Flight Federation, delta-dart squadron leader 8-12yo, thank you.

I forgot that I had a GT80 years ago, a silver one, really fun little bike.

> I have a couple Yamaha GT80's & a couple Honda SL70's. All but one of

> the Sl70's has a title. I plan to do some dual sport mini riding soon!

> My main ride this year will be my 1980 Yamaha Gt80 (red). I have the top

> end off right now as Im replace gaskets. Also have new crank seals,

> chain/ sprockets, tires, cables, and etc...

>

> Ive debated making my Honda CB250 Nighthawk a dual sport.

Jimmy, you don't have any turn signals for a GT/DT80 that you'd want to sell, do you? I'd like to get mine back in road-worthy shape so I can ride it around when my mopeds aren't working.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I dont, i think both of mine are missing the signals as well. I was going to throw generic ones on mine.

Overpriced Parts /

Blast from the past 1981 or 1982 not sure, I’ve never owned a four stroke dual purpose bike in my life though I worked on several of them,

I don’t think I’ll ever own a four stroke bike but Who knows,

Two stroke or no stroke at all! Ha ha ,

Loved my 74 f11 Kawasaki 250 but I didn’t love my Yamaha 1978 DT 125 until I put a dt 175 jug on it and then it was nothing as far as power wise as the Kawasaki F7 175 on my profile picture but it kept up with traffic OK,

5’ 10 at near 200 pounds the Kaw 250 pulled me around like nothing, especially after I changed the chamber to mx type and drilled out the airbox air box and upjeted,

I beat 550 Honda’s and Harley Electra glides and any car up to 75 miles an hour

0A0B1571-DE62-40BC-857A-99C556E53B10.jpeg

I loved those days when you didn’t have to insure motorcycles so you could have several of them at one time,

Them days I’d have 6-7 enduro 2t bikes in my garage at one time!

Got two wheels right?

My sweet Rose 2012 KLR650

FB_IMG_1531471199965.jpg

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I like the look of the KLR650 but I sat on one once and it just seemed so big. They seem to big for a enduro riding.

i have a '98 KTM 300exc (2stroke!)

one of the few street legal 2strokes... i mean anything is possible, but ktm, gasgas, husq/hussenberg are the only companies that have street legal dirt bikes (easily i should say). the titles DONT say "offroad use only"

she rips... as you can imagine. took it to ride n chatter rally last year. stands up in 5th at 70mph lol

ktm.jpg

> I like the look of the KLR650 but I sat on one once and it just seemed

> so big. They seem to big for a enduro riding.

They really are unless you are a very skilled rider, fire roads are great but anything technical and it becomes challenging fast. They are so much nicer to ride on the highway though that it's almost worth the compromise. In the end a dual sport bike is just that, a compromise.

> Chris Szuba Wrote:

> i have a '98 KTM 300exc (2stroke!)

>

> one of the few street legal 2strokes... i mean anything is possible, but

> ktm, gasgas, husq/hussenberg are the only companies that have street

> legal dirt bikes (easily i should say). the titles DONT say "offroad use

> only"

>

> she rips... as you can imagine. took it to ride n chatter rally last

> year. stands up in 5th at 70mph lol

> >

Not a dual sport really, I had a 95 ATK 250lq which is similar and would never do the the kind distance rides that are possible on true dual sport bike. Those bikes rip though.

eh, imo there's 2 catagories of dual sports.

1) dirt bikes that can be tagged (which my ktm falls into)

2) street bikes that can go offroad - KLR650's, DR650's, XR600, etc... anything bigger then a ktm530

I sure as shit dont want to take a KLR 650 on a single track or most dirt bike trails period (sure they can, but you really shouldnt..). too big and heavy. i WOULD however put a large tank on a KTM 450 / 530 exc and either with knobbie tires OR an SM set up, happily ride a long extended distance. sure my 2stroke isnt the best for long distance highway riding but hell it'll do it if i needed it to? draw backs of a 2stroke dual sport, mainly used for around town bike, bar hoping, getting from trail to trail (edited)

These are what my definition of QUICK Kawasaki dual sport bikes are, 720 wiseco kit w/29 smooth bore Mikuni's and a 1075 wiseco kit w/33 smooth bore mikuni's

1987.jpg
1987 (2).jpg
puch 003.jpg

I had a Suzuki DR200 for a year or two. It was great for blasting around on fire roads, backwoods gravel roads and technical trails. It had a very, very low first gear so I could climb up some steep dirt grades. I got rid of it as I live in the city and found less and less time to ride it where it did best.

21557998_501978586820932_3623413274582600812_n.jpg

(edited)

Overpriced Parts /

> Chris Szuba Wrote:

> i have a '98 KTM 300exc (2stroke!)

>

> one of the few street legal 2strokes... i mean anything is possible, but

> ktm, gasgas, husq/hussenberg are the only companies that have street

> legal dirt bikes (easily i should say). the titles DONT say "offroad use

> only"

>

> she rips... as you can imagine. took it to ride n chatter rally last

> year. stands up in 5th at 70mph lol

> >

Yeah buddy ! that’s what I’m talking about !

my dr200 was the biggest pile of shit. I also rode it a lot and still had an awesome time. I took that through some pretty crazy dirtbike shit, but very few distance trips. In retrospect I'm quite certain it just had slightly bent valves which cause progressively worse problems until it would just cool off and not start again, leaving me stranded and in a very shitty mood.

It made me want for a DR350, those seem light and brutal enough to really be an asshole offroad and you can still manage high enough speed and range to cover serious distance.

All I have now is a TS50, it's a watercooled 6 speed 50, it's super stupid fun around town and pretty damn capable offroad, not like competitive or anything but will demolish trails, you just don't let up, it's so light you can peg it and you're only going 30-40 but folks on bigger bikes are slowing up and you just kinda huck it around and keep blasting. But I agree with the 2 classes and think mostly I'm more interested in the regristerable dirtbikes. WR250 would kick ass, 90s 2 strokes even more so. But for me the bigger desire in an enduro isn't being able to go long distance and also go offroad, I want a dirtbike that I can fuck around locally without having to trailer it to trails. This was mostly coming outta Atlanta, where I lived I was 3 miles up the road from a couple big patches of abandoned that were a fuckload of fun to fuck around, I could just detour out there on my way home after work, get dirty and still get home for supper

Born to be Wild... you hit my highest requirement on the nose, run locally without having to trailer it.

My "Keeper Trail Bike" has to meet a set of criteria listed below:

Has to be able to run the freeway @ 65/70 mph all day with power to spare. I need this requirement to get me to the trails or group runs in the area. The best run being @ 90 miles away and all freeway to get there.

Needs to be light and not a tall bike. I had a Yamaha XT350... great bike but I sold it. The 85 Honda XL600 was the same weight and a lot more power. The XL600 is not as tall as the new XL/XR650s. The suspension of the 650s is great but I will never use this with the way I ride. I am strictly trails not jumps and air time! LOL!

At this time I am porting and doing lots to boost the power of the bike. I love the Tiddler bikes but I really like the power that the 600 can provide me on the trails and freeways.

Lastly and here is the funny part of this... I have 8 bikes at this time. All including my new 2014 Honda CB1100 require me to rest after @ 45 minutes. My hands will tingle and get numb from the ride. My XL600! I can sit on it for hours and never get fatigued. For me this will be my Keeper Enduro Bike! I just love this thing.

love 'em. i had a sick xl250 a couple years back. i sold it to a buddy and he moved away, but he just moved back and he still has it! i told him i'd give it a tune up pro bono. i want to get a klr or something someday. something highway capable. i also have intentions of making a endortster out of my 883 sportster. guys do it. the biltwell helmet dudes made one recently and did ok racing it i think....baja? u seent dat?

sportsters do make really cool (looking at least) dirtbikes.

bobby thrashed his sportster offroad, that thing was pretty sweet but holy fuck it's heavy if you dump it, and if you get it mired in the mud you're gonna need a winch or a tow

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account