Homebrewing?

Anyone on here into homebrewing? I just kegged my first batch this past Sunday. A Saison with some extra hops.

Re: Homebrewing?

Just wine here MPB .

Jimmy Cincinnati /

This is a new trend. Hardly ever dealt with home-brewers 13 years ago when i started at the gas plant and nowadays i get people every day coming in for CO2 or Beer-mixtures. Same thing with all these microbreweries. I wonder how long this will be a thing.

I'm sure the bubble will burst soon but for now there are microbrewies popping up all over the place. Or maybe it's just a Michigan thing?

been making hibiscus wine for years..

never beer tho

It’s an everywhere thing. Even in Europe.

I brewed a few batches of simple ales over 20 years ago but quickly realized I didn’t enjoy the process enough to keep at it until I got good. I should try again, I get way more into cooking these days than I used to.

The microbrewery trend has been there for about 15 years now and i currently don't see much of a decline yet. I'm shure the bubble will burst but it's safe to say it will take at least another 5 to 10 years.

I've always liked the traditional "special beers" (as they are called here) i'm always down for downing some Belgium abbey beers. I've brewed a few beers in the past but these days i don't think its worth the hassle. (The keeping everything sterile part is what i dislike most)

Since hipsters took over my beloved beers i've grown quite the disliking to them. Saisons, porters, ipas are all pretty disgusting no matter how fun the name or the label is.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -----------------------------------

> Since hipsters took over my beloved beers i've grown quite the disliking

> to them. Saisons, porters, ipas are all pretty disgusting no matter how

> fun the name or the label is.

Porters are still my favorite, after cheap lager, but here no one likes them. If they do brew a porter they feel the need to add chocolate syrup or other nonsense. It’s hard to find a good simple porter.

I tend to stick to big bottle Guinness if I’m not drinking Miller High Life. It doesn’t have the goofy widget thing like the small bottle or cans, and has a slightly harsher flavor. Oddly enough I preferred it when they were brewing it in Canada. When they shifted back to Irish production it got a bit sweeter.

The only part of the process i've found tricky is keeping the beer at a consistent temperature during fermentation. Too high or too low in either direct will result in off flavors or less active yeast. I'm thinking of trying to use an old chest freezer as a fermentation chamber.

> Thomas TPRF Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It’s an everywhere thing. Even in Europe.

Local breweries popping up all over the place just copying the inventors of beer. I mean, last week, the plot opposite my work was a wasteland. Now this...

Jumping on the bandwagon Euro hipsters.

> I M Wrote:

> > Thomas TPRF Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > It’s an everywhere thing. Even in Europe.

>

> Local breweries popping up all over the place just copying the inventors

> of beer. I mean, last week, the plot opposite my work was a wasteland.

> Now this...

>

> https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pwc.co.uk%2Fprivate-business-private-clients%2Ffamily-business-survey%2Fcase-studies%2Fjw-lees-1.jpg&f=1

>

> Jumping on the bandwagon Euro hipsters.

I get your sarcasm, but my point was that it’s now a thing to make awful over hopped small batch beers there too. I went to a beer festival in Helsinki and was depressed that EVERYONE makes IPAs and how hard it was to find anything different. I was hoping to find a little more variety.

Best beer related thing about that trip was going to St. Urho’s Pub and having proper cask Fuller’s ESB. That was probably some of the tastiest beer I’ve ever had. I’d had Fuller’s before but was never impressed but the bar had a plaque from Fuller’s congratulating them on serving more casks than any bar outside of England so I figured I’d try it cask style.

I do keep hoping that they’ll relax our laws here enough that all the cool kid 20 somethings with monied parents will start opening breweries instead of tattoo shops.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I do keep hoping that they’ll relax our laws here enough that all the cool kid 20 somethings with monied parents will start opening breweries instead of tattoo shops.

Dont worry, between the FDA and dudes like Bernie Sanders opening a new business is basically off the table. Tattoo shops it is! Hey, atleast all those kids will have dragon tattoos or things written in a language they dont actually understand across then chest.

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> I do keep hoping that they’ll relax our laws here enough that all the

> cool kid 20 somethings with monied parents will start opening breweries

> instead of tattoo shops.

>

> Dont worry, between the FDA and dudes like Bernie Sanders opening a new

> business is basically off the table. Tattoo shops it is! Hey, atleast

> all those kids will have dragon tattoos or things written in a language

> they dont actually understand across then chest.

None of them want dragons. They want scribbles with super deep meanings they found on Pinterest. I’d love to do a Taz or some kanji over any picture from a cellphone. We’re an old school street shop with thousands of sheets of flash going back over fifty years, a half dozen awesome artists who each have stacks of their own original art. Customers all want something original that no one else has though, which means we get the same dozen images from google everyday as requests.

But sometimes you’re making art, other days you’re making bill money. It’s still better than working for a living.

My brother inlaw did home brew once in a distant galaxy far far away (oroville ca) oh god it was nasty beyond well beyond bad and the cost was higher then buying good beer.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I started buying equipment to get into ammo reloading than realized how expensive it was to buy the shells, powder, primers, and lead and said screw it. I get that brewing your own is a pride then but there is no savings in it

Uh I dunno what ya'll are talking about cost. You can brew a 5 gallon batch for like 30 bucks. That's only 75 cents a pint.

Of course you can go crazy and make much more expensive beer but the same can be said for what you buy at the store.

Raspberry/Passionfruit/Wheat Graff

gy5fbio.jpg

2# Wheat DME

2# Amber LME

.5# Crystal 60L

.5# Crystal 120L

2 oz Torrified Wheat

3.25 Gallons apple juice

.75 oz Cascade

36 oz Frozen Raspberries

2 L Passion Fruit Juice

1 Can Frozen Apple/Raspberry Concentrate

yeah i still have all my gear, i was doing brew-in-bag method for awhile and really got some beer that i enjoyed from it. I liked being able to make stuff that nobody else made, like a dark red 'pale ale' with strong roasty malty tones but also a good wallop of cascade and mosaic, and a clean finish.

all in all its too much work just for drinking but if you like the process its worth it.

now that i got kids and a million other things going on, i don't see having an unobstructed 6 hours on a sunday afternoon to dick around making beer, but who knows.

Brad William /

5gal glass carboy at thrift store. $5. Hmmmm. Impulse weakness. Plastic bubbler and rubber bung from brew shop on the way home. Stop for sugar, frozen cider concentrate, yeast. Just add water, stopper, enshrine in corner of shop, and wait! Not much later... Walking sideways through shop, knocking shit over, wondering later how/why someone keeps rearranging my tools every night. Realizing that cost and the inconvenient distance to the liquor store is all that separates me from homeless and friendless. Someone else finds a nice 5gal glass carboy, with bubbler at Goodwill.

I tip my glass to all with better impulse control;)Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/19 01:24PM by wsemajb.

> MPB Andrew Wrote:

> Raspberry/Passionfruit/Wheat Graff

>

> 2# Wheat DME

>

> 2# Amber LME

>

> .5# Crystal 60L

>

> .5# Crystal 120L

>

> 2 oz Torrified Wheat

>

> 3.25 Gallons apple juice

>

> .75 oz Cascade

>

> 36 oz Frozen Raspberries

>

> 2 L Passion Fruit Juice

>

> 1 Can Frozen Apple/Raspberry Concentrate

I'm of the conviction that beer should be made with water barley yeast and hops. Maybe 1 other ingredient, but what you made is just fruit punch.

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> I'm of the conviction that beer should be made with water barley yeast

> and hops. Maybe 1 other ingredient, but what you made is just fruit

> punch.

That's why it's called Graff and not Beer.

Regarding microbreweries, I read last year this article that talks about how they have reached their peak.

There will come a point where they'll just be too many. It's not sustainable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/04/10/the-craft-beer-industrys-buzz-is-wearing-off/

maybe it's trendy, but it's a great trend! good beer is good, making your own is fun, I prefer to cook my own hamburgers, why not make my own beer!

I started in highschool because you could buy all the stuff on order, early internet sites, like circa 2000. obviously we couldn't buy beer but even more obvious was that we wanted to drink it! Of course there wasn't much online literature and advice, and we mostly just winged it and tried alotta goofy shit, like banana nut ale or bumbleberry pie wheat and had like very little experience in good beer to begin with. sometimes it turned out shit awful like wtf were we thinking, but the generic recipes were usually good. Even back then, not even 20 years ago, there wasn't much great beer around anyway - people who drank "good" beer just had the generic imports, beck or guiness or whatever and some micros were juuuust popping up locally (in NH it was magic hat, long trail and harpoon, with sam adams and Saranac as the macromicros)

my friend I brewed with has continued ever since and one of my favorite parts of visiting the old NH home is after we get the kiddos asleep, sharing a homebrew from his keg in the basement and stirring up a new batch. the smells of malt and hops, it's one of the most comfortable happy places in my life

but for me, I wound up converting my brew bucket into a diaper pail and giving it up totally. I did brew some mead in college that was great for large volume cheap buzz and later some sake that was a very fun process and rewarding product

« Go to Topic — end of thread