Who's into turntables?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I picked up this Technics SL-B3 turntable this morning from a guy I found on FB Marketplace. It is identical to the one I had in high school, which coincidentally was stolen in 1983 when I was in college. I finally got around to replacing it. It's been over 35 years since any of my albums have been played. They sound amazing! I'm using a Kenwood receiver that I bought at a garage sale a couple of years ago. I paid $20 for it and it looked like it was never used. I still have my original Marantz 2230 receiver in the garage. I've had it for over 40 years. Vinyl rules! Rock on!

technicsslb3.jpg

(edited)

Re: Who's into turntables?

That's awesome, vinyl is making a comeback, there is a record store right next to the diner where I have breakfast, and it is always very busy. I don't know much about them, but always thought they had better sound than tapes. Enjoy!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Vinyl is getting very popular here in NJ as well. There are actually brick and mortar vintage vinyl record stores opening up in the area. If you get the Sunday paper, check out the Target insert. They're even selling vinyl again. I guess it's cool now. I'm listening to Wings Greatest Hits now. It never sounded so good.

There are high end audio companies making turntables again, While you may want to keep them, some of your old albums, GOD I love to say that, "albums"...not files...lol. can be quite valuable, the guy who runs the store I mentioned buys and sells them, I got rid of all mine yrs ago, wish I would not have now. I have a portable stereo that has a turntable and am-fm, that get this, can run off D batteries! The speakers latch on top and it has a suitcase handle! The '57 Chrysler 300 came with an optional in car record player, did '45's, remember those? Glad you are enjoying it! Its fun to live long enough to be "cool" again! :) I think some bands are actually releasing records again.

Driving up the street today...........talk about coincidences, we were marveling at a little store we'd never seen before. It was Nostalgia Records or something like that, and they had a sign out front with metallic records hanging off it.

We're gonna stop back out there soon. My son,who plays rock n roll and sings would love it. He's coming down here for a visit soon.

Ohh man. Got real deep into HiFi a few years ago. Still use my Thorens TD165 almost every day. My Denon DP 30L MKII, not as much lately..

Designed my own monofilament supported magnetic pivot tonearm. Use that for mono records.

I have the matching Marantz turntable but sadly my Fisher reciever took a shit and i haven't had time to fix it. Got a reciever that i haven't hooked up from my mom and dad but no phono in so i'd have to either setup a preamp or do something else.

I still have 2 more turntables so don't worry the vinyl is getting played, just not as loud as it would be with the Fisher.

Dirty30 Dillon /

I just bought an Audio-Tecnica this year to get into vinyl. Considered buying vintage, but honestly I have enough hobbies and didn't really want another "fix-it" hobby.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

project one and lxi series

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Supertramp school at extreme volume exhibits effects known as trevor and woow it's the needle feedback at about 200w or lot less depending on location of tt and speakers

Hanging your turntable can help reduce feedback, as well as skips caused by walking, jumping, twerking or whatever.

Philips ga-212

But what about your cartridge?(edited)

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Audio-technica

I never owned an Audio-Technica cartridge but it was a big brand in my area, like other brands they had models to fit different price points but they were and are known to be good cartridges.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

The one I had 40 years ago that got stolen, was a Stanton.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I bought my first vinyl record in over 35 years yesterday. It was "Best of the Monkees". I bought it at a vintage record store in Easton, PA.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

chipmunk christmas album 1st edition (;

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Zeppelin 4....

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I bought my first vinyl record in over 35 years yesterday. It was "Best

> of the Monkees". I bought it at a vintage record store in Easton, PA.

Got a signed Gordon Lightfoot album,I believe it is Dream Street Rose.

Andrew Squiggman /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I bought my first vinyl record in over 35 years yesterday. It was

> "Best

>

> > of the Monkees". I bought it at a vintage record store in Easton, PA.

>

> Got a signed Gordon Lightfoot album,I believe it is Dream Street Rose.

Snore already big daddy.

Brad William /

Vinyl is making a comeback as surely and reliably as points ignition.

When nostalgia points its five minute attention span elsewhere the vinyls going back where it belongs, collected in the basement, museums. The Smithsonian. Right now there's an edison wax cylinder sitting alone there wondering "WTF, where's the love? What he got i aint got?". Thats reasonable to ask.

I have lots of my old vinyl. I listen to it sometimes. Its limits are glaringly obvious.

Love my 1980 two stroke smokey little puch newport. Id be horrified if it was still the state of the art today.

107C4613-E1D2-4E7A-8BCE-8A260D118A21.jpeg

I remember being maybe 10 yrs. old and Dad showed me how to change out to a new needle(diamond).

AMAZING the difference a new needle would make on the old Zenith.(edited)

> Brad William Wrote:

> Vinyl is making a comeback as surely and reliably as points ignition.

>

It has already made its comeback years ago. When i started collecting vinyl about 16 years ago i could still get everything for next to nothing, nowadays even multimillion selling albums like Rumours or Dark side of the moon will cost you at least a tenner.

I'm just glad i got most records before the hipsters took over.(edited)

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account