Tesla's Troubles

Well first they start raising the KWH at their chargers and now more troubles.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/251c1e6d-55be-3c09-9315-993546762ebd/the-%2435%2C000-tesla-model-3-has.html

Re: Tesla's Troubles

I don't know that I really see that as troubles particularly. if the vehicle were originally only sold online I don't think anyone really would have batted an eye and given the seemingly beyond current technology they employ, it seems like they could lean on the way that many brick-and-mortar stores are now exclusively online as the way of the future and "convenient". Living in an area that is extremely densely populated with Tesla vehicles due to the amount of wealth here, they are quite a common sight. At least a sizable portion of the owners are near geriatrics and I suspect they would have an issue with having to order a car online but for the up and coming generations I feel like it's something that will be shrugged off. If they want the car, they've already been scouring the internet about it.

Overpriced Parts /

The first person to bring on the technology is usually the one who gets the shaft!

now that everybody is making electric vehicles, tesla the pioneer of them basically other than the early 1900 cars, golf carts an such is going to suffer sometimes!

Most Times to be the first at something is to be the worst at something!

Why does Tesla sell cars online? Because 48 states have laws that limit or ban manufacturers from selling vehicles directly to consumers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_dealership_disputes

Tesla swings like this on what seems like a daily basis. You can buy a house or lose your own playing weekly TSLA options. It’s going to be a $2,000 stock. When? No idea, but I’ll stand by anything Papa Elon does.

I wouldn't buy stock in the company, but the cars are pretty badass.

> DPC Ryan Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I wouldn't buy stock in the company, but the cars are pretty badass.

They are nice, and well built, but they are not well suited to cold climates, range really drops off, would rock one if I lived in Arizona or New Mexico...I had a customer a few yrs ago who bought one of the first gen ones as a novelty, he is very wealthy, registered it to his business. A write off, but he turned out to really like it, drove the hell out of it, hauled kids in it got scratches on it etc, used it like a "real" car, it was fast, did not give him issues, until winter, range was cut in half, but he said he would buy another, as for city driving it was more than enough, but if he were to go out of town he would take one of his "real" cars. Simply for the range of IC engine vs electric, AT THIS time. It is steady getting better, and one day will be awesome, as of now it is not quite there, but all the rest of the tech is. When an electric can take a full charge in 15 mins or less and have a range of 500 miles or greater, in any weather, everyone, including my old school self will want one. I for where I live will expect awesome heat, able to melt ice in -20 weather and a minimum 300 mile range in that temp before I give in. I realize that is a lot to ask, but it will come to pass. When there is a profit to be made, the tech follows, quickly.(edited)

Stephen said: ` When an electric can take a full charge in 15 mins or less and have a range of 500 miles or greater, in any weather, everyone, including my old school self will want one. I for where I live will expect awesome heat, able to melt ice in -20 weather and a minimum 300 mile range in that temp before I give in. I realize that is a lot to ask, but it will come to pass. '

I doubt it ever will, Stephen.

A 15 min. charge to go 500 miles? That's `pie in the sky'.

They have to make these things affordable to the common 40 hr. a week person, in my book to be acceptable.

I am still also concerned about the EMFs.

$35000 is below a vast amount of new full size sedans, and below just about every full size SUV and quite a lot of mid sized ones as well, with far more advanced standard kit. The price is beginning to meet the point where electric becomes the better buy.

As for charging in 15 minutes, physics is still a thing. You can only pump so much power into such a small thing. Heat is a major concern, efficiency another. Also, when you charge a battery so quickly it is hard to make one that will last under that kind of extreme duty.

Ryan said: ` As for charging in 15 minutes, physics is still a thing. You can only pump so much power into such a small thing. Heat is a major concern, efficiency another. Also, when you charge a battery so quickly it is hard to make one that will last under that kind of extreme duty.'

This I agree with. Forget about 15 minute charges for 500 mile ranges.

Hell even cell phone companies that are coming through with phones that will charge 60% of the battery capacity in 30 min and such. They know the battery would not last more than a couple of years doing this once a day. But a cell phone is not a car that needs to last for several years to be worth buying. Also, the amount of amperage it takes to give a cell phone a 60% charge does not require an entire liquid cooling system and 3 phase power to do it.

Yep! That's the point. Destruction of battery banks by rapid, heat-producing charging.

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ /

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> The first person to bring on the technology is usually the one who gets

> the shaft!

>

>edited > now that everybody is making electric bikes, chinarelli was the pioneer

BOY, dont i know it.. lol

did you get those pics before you had the thread deleted ken ?

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Stephen said: ` When an electric can take a full charge in 15 mins or

> less and have a range of 500 miles or greater, in any weather, everyone,

> including my old school self will want one. I for where I live will

> expect awesome heat, able to melt ice in -20 weather and a minimum 300

> mile range in that temp before I give in. I realize that is a lot to

> ask, but it will come to pass. '

>

> I doubt it ever will, Stephen.

>

> A 15 min. charge to go 500 miles? That's `pie in the sky'.

>

> They have to make these things affordable to the common 40 hr. a week

> k person, in my book to be acceptable.

>

> I am still also concerned about the EMFs.

It IS pie in the sky, but it exists in the modern ic powered vehicle. There are a lot of people who need, or just flat out want a long range and convenience. For many though the current range is more than adequate. I still think electric is coming, just not with the speed some are anticipating. I think it makes more sense for things like bicycle assist motors and scooters/moped class vehicles than cars.

Did you even read that article? It literally says that the only reason tesla is scrutinized so heavily is because boomers don't trust technology and they managed to upset the current market. I think tesla makes hideous cars and I will never own one, but they certainly opened the door for innovation. Auto manufacturers and gas companies do not want to see an electric car thrive yet, its pretty clear that the media takes every shot it can at tesla in an attempt to sour its stock prices.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Did you even read that article? It literally says that the only reason

> tesla is scrutinized so heavily is because boomers don't trust

> technology and they managed to upset the current market. I think tesla

> makes hideous cars and I will never own one, but they certainly opened

> the door for innovation. Auto manufacturers and gas companies do not

> want to see an electric car thrive yet, its pretty clear that the media

> takes every shot it can at tesla in an attempt to sour its stock prices.

Sure I read it, but what I noticed first was the CHARRED remains of the widely-acclaimed Tesla. I have always wondered how much of a liability that HUGE battery pack would be in a devastating crash.

So yer Tesla ain't a bed of roses,eh? Well, keep an open mind, cause I'll bet the setbacks will be many in the future.

For instance, look up a wreck in FL today wherer a 19 yr. old driver survived (barely) a multiple roll thru a parking lot from road speed when an idiot turned into him.

I wonder what that battery pack would've done in THAT instance. I'll try to find that wreck and post a link here. Here's that link:

https://www.wkrg.com/news/national/florida-teen-injured-in-hit-and-run-rollover-crash/1820422026(edited)

I mean its kond of a micracle that teenager survived, regardless of the car. Florida is the nost dangeroua state to drive in. Everyone there is a loon. All thay aside maybe you remember the pinto? Where a fender bender would cause the plastic gas tank to rupture and possibly a large explosion? I bet you forget about the fiero too, oh ya and the slough of 100s of disposable American cars from the 70s-now. Tesla is a new company, there are some hurdles to overcome with new tech and also when there is the oil and auto industry opposing them at very turn its no surprise there is a little backlash in the media. Ive seen many many more chevy astro vans catch on fire than tesla.

Can we not remember the Toyota debacle of cars accelerating into things just so recently? How about GM and the ignition switches that killed 12 people and injured hundreds more? These are just in this century. How many cars were rolling deathtraps through the 80s and 90s, and not even for the sake of innovation but just pure shitty construction and haphazard design.

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Did you even read that article? It literally says that the only reason

>

> > tesla is scrutinized so heavily is because boomers don't trust

>

> > technology and they managed to upset the current market. I think tesla

>

> > makes hideous cars and I will never own one, but they certainly opened

>

> > the door for innovation. Auto manufacturers and gas companies do not

>

> > want to see an electric car thrive yet, its pretty clear that the

> media

>

> > takes every shot it can at tesla in an attempt to sour its stock

> prices.

>

> Sure I read it, but what I noticed first was the CHARRED remains of the

> widely-acclaimed Tesla. I have always wondered how much of a liability

> that HUGE battery pack would be in a devastating crash.

>

> So yer Tesla ain't a bed of roses,eh? Well, keep an open mind, cause

> se I'll bet the setbacks will be many in the future.

>

> For instance, look up a wreck in FL today wherer a 19 yr. old driver

> er survived (barely) a multiple roll thru a parking lot from road speed

> when an idiot turned into him.

>

> I wonder what that battery pack would've done in THAT instance. I'll

> l try to find that wreck and post a link here. Here's that link:

>

> https://www.wkrg.com/news/national/florida-teen-injured-in-hit-and-run-rollover-crash/1820422026

The car was quite intact in that accident, a battery pack would have survived without issue. This accident happened just miles from me and I have driven past that spot 3 times today.

Holy shit....what a wreck, but I bet a battery would be ok....it impresses me that fuel tanks hold up as well as they do. In reality it is surprising that the public is even allowed to handle gasoline at all.

I'm from Missouri on yer battery pack holding up fine there. When I see that, I'll believe it.

Overpriced Parts /

> __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ Wrote:

> > Ken Roff Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > The first person to bring on the technology is usually the one who

> gets

>

> > the shaft!

>

> >

>

> >edited > now that everybody is making electric bikes, chinarelli was

> the pioneer

>

> BOY, dont i know it.. lol

>

> did you get those pics before you had the thread deleted ken ?

I never had a thread deleted that I know of

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> I'm from Missouri on yer battery pack holding up fine there. When I see

> that, I'll believe it.

It does remain to be seen, but with the weight that car may not have flipped at all, but whatever, it was a horrendous crash, the driver was fortunate, but I believe it says a great deal about how well cars are built today, they usually cant be rebuilt after a crash, but they sacrifice themselves better than the old ones did, I prefer old cars, but know my opinions are dated in these matters...if that cars fuel tank did not rupture, I have to believe a battery would survive as well, if not better, just look at the Prius, I can't stand them personally, but they are well made, safe as any other car in its class and run a damn long time, the battery's have exceeded original expectations. This pains me to admit, but you can't argue with one with almost 200k on original batt...I see a lot of them like that here. I never thought of the petrol industry slamming on a full electric car but it makes sense they would, they will be the mainstay, just later than sooner.

If I had to ride in such-a -lookin' thing as a Prius,I'd turn in my license. UG-LEE! LOL!

So much ugliness crammed,and I mean crammed,LOL into one you tube video.

I don't think driving one of these makes you a bad driver, but those that buy them tend to not be real interested in the act of driving, so, you get what you see, many young people are afraid of driving, they want quiet non engine sounding things so as not to distract them from their precious phones and internet interactions, so a car like a Prius is non-threatening to them, but the lack of attention paid to the act of driving is threatening to us all, no matter what they are driving, or attempting to anyway. I wish the public transportation system in my state was more comprehensive, I would sell all but one car, and lay it up but for once a week grocery shopping, it would be safer to ride the bus than to drive. I hated on the idea of self driving cars for a while, but after the last 10 yrs of watching people who are sober drive worse than drunk people, maybe it is not such a bad idea?

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> I don't think driving one of these makes you a bad driver, but those

> that buy them tend to not be real interested in the act of driving, so,

> you get what you see, many young people are afraid of driving, they

> want quiet non engine sounding things so as not to distract them from

> their precious phones and internet interactions, so a car like a Prius

> is non-threatening to them, but the lack of attention paid to the act of

> driving is threatening to us all, no matter what they are driving, or

> attempting to anyway. I wish the public transportation system in my

> state was more comprehensive, I would sell all but one car, and lay it

> up but for once a week grocery shopping, it would be safer to ride the

> bus than to drive. I hated on the idea of self driving cars for a while,

> but after the last 10 yrs of watching people who are sober drive worse

> than drunk people, maybe it is not such a bad idea?

Well, distracted driving should be a pet peeve of the police. Instead of letting people stare at their phones and tablets while driving,or even sitting at red lights, people

should be pulled over for inattention BEFORE they get someone hurt or killed.

Earphones/buds on people driving bother me.

I can tell you why. Personal experience. I used to have to read `step by step' procedures in the nuclear plants and almost all areas were noisy so ear plugs had to be used.

I always told the `verifier', second person, to do the reading because when I put those earplugs in, my IQ (awareness) seemed to drop dramatically. I would do the actual manipulation of valving or removing locks,etc. but the paperwork was someone else's to do.

So I wonder how many people have this drop in awareness besides myself? Remember we're driving or doing something critical.

Driving a prius is a little disorienting. Most new cars have big blind spots and big computer screens. Modern design and aesthetic really made new cars feel like they went through the crusher first. I daily a small moto or moped, but when I need a car I drive a 300d and its a damn tank, feels really safe despite not having anything but seat belts. Riding is usually at least a little terrifying and most drivers Litterally don't look or even stop at 2 way stop signs when I'm on a bike. I have to ride so defensively during the day its not even fun.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account