Autonomous scooters

Apparently Uber is exploring autonomous scooters that could drive themselves back to charging stations. I live in Pittsburgh, which is ground zero for autonomous vehicles, and I've been waiting to hear if anyone is exploring 2-wheeled vehicles.

Re: Autonomous scooters

Overpriced Parts /
80D8A9E1-22BA-46D8-8646-A7EA0C9E7911.jpeg

Re: Autonomous scooters

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

LOL! Great teaching illustration,Ken! HaHaHaaaaa!

Re: Autonomous scooters

Jimmy Cincinnati /

LOL! Great teaching illustration,Ken! HaHaHaaaaa!

Its like companies that go paperless... the amount of energy they are consuming to have anything digitally sent / saved is crazy.

If uber wants to go green perhaps they should consider the other new form of transportation... horse and buggy?

Autonomous scooters

So whats the thought here? Forgive me i know nothing about these but is it a bike that you take to where you going then it takes itself back to a station??

Re: Autonomous scooters

1) this has nothing to do with electric vehicles.

2) it's a simple concept to understand that there is a period before the payback is realized. it becomes advantageous if we also adopt more renewable energy sources, but in order to do that we need the demand, chicken/egg, building the infrastructure and technology is moving in the right direction, versus stagnating and saying it's not clean enough now so we might as well not even try.

also the comparison between paperless and printed mailers, are you kidding? there can be no way it's more environmentally or economically reasonable to print everything.

autonomous scooters is building off of their autonomous cars. the idea with the cars is they have driveless uber taxi service - theyre already in use in pittsburg. My brother in law was a test engineer but has since moved to Argo AI, another autonomous car company in Pittsburgh. Sortof trying to cash in on the lime/bird scooter market without needing the collectors (very similar in principle to removing the drivers from the current uber model)

could be interesting but the cost of the technology and computing power to make sure they're not plowing into people or things or destroying themselves means it is not near term.

I mean I'm trying to imagine a estimate lowest budget maybe a very simplified $3k AI, tracking IR/Lidar and wireless system in a scooter or ebike that some disgruntled city dweller might throw off a bridge (see bird scooters)

Re: Autonomous scooters

^ This...for sure. Besides, why do we want the AI doing everything? We will just get lazier and fatter, faster. I can see a driver-less Uber car, but a bike, come on people.

Re: Autonomous scooters

Will wrote: `2) it's a simple concept to understand that there is a period before the payback is realized.'

Yeah,right……………..we've been suffering thru scientists mistakes forever. I guess they are like Doctors and get to BURY their mistakes,right? LOL!

Re: Autonomous scooters

Overpriced Parts /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Ken Roff Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> LOL! Great teaching illustration,Ken! HaHaHaaaaa!

If people think nuclear power is any cleaner they have a lot to learn!

producing usable fuel for reactors is disastrously polluting and uses a lot of fossil fuel in the process, then when fuel rods are used up there is contamination for centuries

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/dec/05/nuclear-greenpolitics

Remember energy cannot be produced from nothing It can only be changed from one form to another.

Water power and wind power have their own issues as far as killing wildlife and ruining environment as well as the cost to produce and maintain turbines, solar panels ect.

Maybe dilithium crystals are the answer? “beam me up Scotty”

Re: Autonomous scooters

Rand Jacobson /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Will wrote: `2) it's a simple concept to understand that there is a

> period before the payback is realized.'

>

> Yeah,right……………..we've been suffering thru scientists mistakes forever.

> I guess they are like Doctors and get to BURY their mistakes,right?

> LOL!

Don's over here like

Re: Autonomous scooters

Ken. Litterally no one thinks that nuclear energy is clean, sustainable or safe.

Re: Autonomous scooters

The latest lie...…………..they say JUST NOW we're seeing lots of black holes 13 billion years old. LOL!

A few months or years from now they'll say, Nah, it wasn't black holes, it's something else we've invented,like `dark matter'.

It's dark `brain matter' in their case.

They'll just keep slingin stuff so we'll all think they're smart. HahaHaHaaaa!

Re: Autonomous scooters

I can get behind nuclear energy. it's pretty damned amazing. but my support definitely comes less from a practical view and more about scientific curiosity. wind and solar have problems sure but theyre diminishing as the technology becomes more widespread. and people are coming up with more and more ways to lessen the impact of coal too - its a lot easier to contain emmissions from a single source like a power plant than from millions of individual engines, not to mention you can approach much better efficiencies of energy conversion in dedicated turbines, even considering losses in powerlines. There's plenty more to do in all regards, no doubt but I think electric vehicles is a pretty realistic future.

Autonomous driving I've always pictured it being limited, with many people preferring typical driving experiences. but maybe it becomes like automatic transmissions today, where the manual is a less common option that a large number of people can't even use. I had always used motorcycles as an example - more people ride motorcycles now than ever, and while electric bikes are becoming more prominent I don't see anyone being willing to give up the freedom and thrill of being in control of your wn bike.

However, this article does call even that assumption into question. it'll be interesting

Re: Autonomous scooters

I'm all about nuclear, if it's done *right.* The way we go through uranium in the US is ridiculously inefficient and produces tons of nasty waste, but the Russians, they've got some nice reactors that run on the shit we leave sitting around in radioactive ponds or buried in tunnels. And they sure learned the hard way about nuclear safety...

Wind is awesome. Solar might be awesome, I mean, I use it, but we've got a massive problem looming about what to do with the millions of solar panels that are going to be wearing out. There need to be plans in place to recycle or refurbish them before that happens, or else we're going to have a shittonne of silicon headed for our landfills real quick. I mean, not as bad of a problem as we've created in the atmosphere and oceans, but still.

Anyway, electric cars I can definitely see being the future., or hydrogen cars. But bikes? Sure we can theorise that some green technology might come along that would be compact enough to give a bike decent range and power, but I haven't heard of anything that really does it.

Re: Autonomous scooters

Here in Hamburg we have already 6 hydrogene busses and since this winter, several hydrogene cell trains which travel to the North Sea coast.

And about a dozen electric busses too.

Re: Autonomous scooters

Overpriced Parts /

> Lia the Raven Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm all about nuclear, if it's done *right.* The way we go through

> uranium in the US is ridiculously inefficient and produces tons of nasty

> waste, but the Russians, they've got some nice reactors that run on the

> shit we leave sitting around in radioactive ponds or buried in tunnels.

> And they sure learned the hard way about nuclear safety...

>

> Wind is awesome. Solar might be awesome, I mean, I use it, but we've

> got a massive problem looming about what to do with the millions of

> solar panels that are going to be wearing out. There need to be plans

> in place to recycle or refurbish them before that happens, or else we're

> going to have a shittonne of silicon headed for our landfills real

> quick. I mean, not as bad of a problem as we've created in the

> atmosphere and oceans, but still.

>

> Anyway, electric cars I can definitely see being the future., or

> hydrogen cars. But bikes? Sure we can theorise that some green

> technology might come along that would be compact enough to give a bike

> decent range and power, but I haven't heard of anything that really does

> it.

Nuclear can never be done Right

https://www.brainz.org/ten-most-radioactive-places-earth/

Re: Autonomous scooters

See, while tragic, those are all a lot of good lessons to learn from: Don't use water-cooled reactors! EVER! Just look what happens when you try and do that. Molten salt is where it's at.

Re: Autonomous scooters

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nuclear can never be done Right

>

> https://www.brainz.org/ten-most-radioactive-places-earth/

Leave it up to Ken to cite a source called "www.bRaInZ.org"

That articles contains no factual evidence or data, it might as well be a BuzzFeed ad.

Re: Autonomous scooters

Jimmy Cincinnati /

That articles contains no factual evidence or data, it might as well be a BuzzFeed ad.

While that may be all well and good, stating someone is not using any facts while you arent using any actual facts is a bad argument. Post up some of your own sources so we can know if you are credible.

Ken: "Nuclear can never be done Right"

You: "Thats dumb, your dumb. Everyone mob him!"

Everyone else: "Yeah! Grab the pitch fork & torches!"

Re: Autonomous scooters

Mining the material used to make magnets in wind turbines creates vast amounts of toxic gasses, but hey they mine it in China so why should we care.

Re: Autonomous scooters

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That articles contains no factual evidence or data, it might as well be

> a BuzzFeed ad.

>

> While that may be all well and good, stating someone is not using any

> facts while you arent using any actual facts is a bad argument. Post up

> some of your own sources so we can know if you are credible.

>

> Ken: "Nuclear can never be done Right"

>

> You: "Thats dumb, your dumb. Everyone mob him!"

>

> Everyone else: "Yeah! Grab the pitch fork & torches!"

Good job,Jimmy! Seems like everyone likes to pick on Ken. MOB mentality. Hang in there,Ken!

Re: Autonomous scooters

Overpriced Parts /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > That articles contains no factual evidence or data, it might as well

> be

>

> > a BuzzFeed ad.

>

> >

>

> > While that may be all well and good, stating someone is not using any

>

> > facts while you arent using any actual facts is a bad argument. Post

> up

>

> > some of your own sources so we can know if you are credible.

>

> >

>

> > Ken: "Nuclear can never be done Right"

>

> >

>

> > You: "Thats dumb, your dumb. Everyone mob him!"

>

> >

>

> > Everyone else: "Yeah! Grab the pitch fork & torches!"

>

> Good job,Jimmy! Seems like everyone likes to pick on Ken. MOB mentality.

> Hang in there,Ken!

I don’t care what anybody says about me I just laugh !

I lived in some of the best decades of the United States

Everything else is downhill from here on,

Participation trophies for everybody!

free shit for everybody! no one pulling their weight! 5 to 8 years from now we’re going to be another Venezuela with these nut cases that are coming out now! no one wants to work! no one wants to pull their weight,

If everybody in the USA pulled their weight we would blow the whole world away,

All is not lost if we all stay together we could still be the best nation in the world!

United we stand divided we fall !

Re: Autonomous scooters

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Don Ohio Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > That articles contains no factual evidence or data, it might as well

>

> > be

>

> >

>

> > > a BuzzFeed ad.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > While that may be all well and good, stating someone is not using

> any

>

> >

>

> > > facts while you arent using any actual facts is a bad argument. Post

>

> > up

>

> >

>

> > > some of your own sources so we can know if you are credible.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Ken: "Nuclear can never be done Right"

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > You: "Thats dumb, your dumb. Everyone mob him!"

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Everyone else: "Yeah! Grab the pitch fork & torches!"

>

> >

>

> > Good job,Jimmy! Seems like everyone likes to pick on Ken. MOB

> mentality.

>

> > Hang in there,Ken!

>

> I don’t care what anybody says about me I just laugh !

>

> I lived in some of the best decades of the United States

>

> Everything else is downhill from here on,

>

> Participation trophies for everybody!

>

> free shit for everybody! no one pulling their weight! 5 to 8 years from

> now we’re going to be another Venezuela with these nut cases that are

> coming out now! no one wants to work! no one wants to pull their weight,

>

>

>

> If everybody in the USA pulled their weight we would blow the whole

> world away,

>

> All is not lost if we all stay together we could still be the best

> t nation in the world!

>

> United we stand divided we fall !

Truer words were never smoked,Ken! Hard to find work ethic or ANY ethics now, and the commies are taking over the you know who party. LOL!

Re: Autonomous scooters

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That articles contains no factual evidence or data, it might as well be

> a BuzzFeed ad.

>

> While that may be all well and good, stating someone is not using any

> facts while you arent using any actual facts is a bad argument. Post up

> some of your own sources so we can know if you are credible.

>

> Ken: "Nuclear can never be done Right"

>

> You: "Thats dumb, your dumb. Everyone mob him!"

>

> Literally nobody: "Yeah! Grab the pitch fork & torches!"

Re: Autonomous scooters

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Literally nobody: "Yeah! Grab the pitch fork & torches!"

It was a reference to how people react to others on this site in general, but you seemed to have missed the bigger point... which is sort of the point.

Re: Autonomous scooters

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Literally nobody: "Yeah! Grab the pitch fork & torches!"

>

> It was a reference to how people react to others on this site in

> general, but you seemed to have missed the bigger point... which is sort

> of the point.

Will? He never gets the point! That's the point! LOL!

Re: Autonomous scooters

you all just made up your own narrative in which ken was attacked and totally derailed from any actual discussion.

Here's reality - we need energy. it's never free and it's never perfect. Best way to reduce impact? reduce energy use!

besides that, no form of energy can possibly be perfectly clean. And while easily glossed over by casual advocates of "green" energy it's equally or more overstated by strident critics.

But fortunately we don't need to rely on the talking points of idealists or conservative defeatists - the truths are in the numbers, the numbers are easily accessible, and people have devoted enormous efforts into studying the fine details and published reports on cradle to grave including the manufacture costs and disposal costs, compiled from literal thousands of published works. Even when you consider the impact of manufacturing the "green" technologies; wind, solar and nuclear are vastly less polluting than coal. (for example: sure mining material for the batteries in a wind turbine generator are polluting, but how do you think coal plants get power from their steam turbines?)

I think nuclear can be a worthwhile solution, not the ultimate but demonstrably better than coal, there's the risk that it won't be completely contained, but in my opinion that's a better outcome than the pollution from power generation being knowingly and intentionally uncontained.

Re: Autonomous scooters

> Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Literally nobody: "Yeah! Grab the pitch fork & torches!"

>

> It was a reference to how people react to others on this site in

> general, but you seemed to have missed the bigger point... which is sort

> of the point.

Nah, my point is it's bullshit trying to dismiss all dissenting opinions by falsely casting it as a mob groupthing, when in reality, no people came to mob up on ken, in fact the opposite - multiple people came to "back him up" against this faux threat while casting flagrant bullshit generalizations against the perceived "enemy" and wholly unrelated crap about "lazy people" in America these days.

But on top of it all, the original "attack" which you so callously summed up as "you're dumb everybody mob him" was actually just calling out the FACT that brainz.org is NOT a credible source of information, it's pure nonscientific entertainment listicles including "top 10 board games" and to "15 ways to loose weight for summer"

Re: Autonomous scooters

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Brah, you not getting my point. Go take a stroll or something you seem all tense.

Re: Autonomous scooters

the point is ken roff and other morons like him that don't know how to use the internet use clickbait, russian trolling, trump tweets and other fake news as a source for their dumb beliefs and then we somehow elect a reality show star president who actually has real power to cause human suffering and wreck the country.

'ten commandments you should use to define your morality'

etc.

Re: Autonomous scooters

^ for the most part, well said, but to get back to the topic, what is the point of an electric scooter that can drive itself back to a charging station? Its range would be limited by how far back it had to go, it is just dumb and unnecessary. Not to mention if a self leveling 2 wheeler (they do exist) was seen working it's way down a sidewalk or street, do they not think people would not mess with it? Take the drive wheel off the ground, hit it with a car etc? Simply tun it upside down? Too much tech for a simple concept. So much $ into a low return device, it will never be feasible. That is all.

Want to reply to this thread?

We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first you'll need to login (or create an account).