PSA: Welding Sunburn

Normally good about wearing protection (gloves, long sleeves, thick shirt, etc.), but it was late and had my gloves off for only about 10 mins before I noticed. Burned the hell outta' my salaryman skin.

15372037216841641915898.jpg

Burns are unpleasant; remember to cover up.

Re: PSA: Welding Sunburn

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Hmmmff. I've been welding for over 35 years and i never wear gloves. I've never had anything like that happen either. Weird.

Maybe my fingers are more prone to burn since they spend their days perched above keyboard? Also heard that MIGing / TIGing aluminum releases more UV light due to brighter arc + less diffusion through argon compared to stick (not sure how true that part is - just some gossip I read, but I was doing MIG Aluminum).

In any case, if you sunburn easily (I do), just something to keep top-of-mind.

Looks painful.

Aloe Vera plants around the house are useful for burns.

Andrew Squiggman /

Pretty common knowledge. Why do they sell gloves and masks and aprons?

totally welded in my boxers. got some peelies on my belly...

I've had a few bad burns on the arms but never so bad as to need help.

When I first learned tig I learned from this Irish guy pale as paper wearing shorts and a t shirt and only one glove. Silly me figured maybe tig doesn't generate UV rays like mig in the same way it doesn't generate spatter. I tig'd for an hour in my tank top and got some nasty burns up my arms and inside my armpits- definitely a first for a burn there.

I still regularly tig in my riding gloves and a t shirt but only for quick jobs. You can get away without gloves for quick jobs too but I wouldn't do it every day- plus the gloves give you one tiny extra amount of protection when you accidentally grab the hot end of the filler rod. (edited)

Wait til you have a hot spark or ember get down your shirt, glove or sleeve.

> Pacer Racer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wait til you have a hot spark or ember get down your shirt, glove or

> sleeve.

I was stick welding one time at work and had a slag pop and burn thru my pants-underwear and land on john tomas.

> Jeff Parr Wrote:

> > Pacer Racer Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Wait til you have a hot spark or ember get down your shirt, glove or

>

> > sleeve.

>

> I was stick welding one time at work and had a slag pop and burn thru my

> pants-underwear and land on john tomas.

It'll take a layer of skin off no matter where it lands cause you cant just brush em off.

I weld every day in my usual riding gear/work gear(sandals shorts and t shirt) only use mask for mig and stick but not for oxy acetylene welding

> Moped Jay Wrote:

> I weld every day in my usual riding gear/work gear(sandals shorts and t

> shirt) only use mask for mig and stick but not for oxy acetylene

> welding

Welding helmets usually have a number 10 screen (some have adjustable screens up to 14 or more).

Oxy/Ac goggles typically use number 5 screens.

my welds have improved since i switched to a 9 a few years ago. I can see whats going on so much better.

Edit: i think this is another one of those damn "getting old sucks" things. But whatever, it sure beats the alternative... (edited)

Fuck the goggles the spots go away after a while

Yeah, those goggles suck. A pair of sunglasses work great for oxy/ace. No spots afterwards and you look cool while you're doing it.

So I should take the glasses I need to see with to put sun glasses on then weld blind

When I was welding up that safari subframe motormount idiot project I was in a T shirt, I got a trucker tan

> Moped Jay Wrote:

> So I should take the glasses I need to see with to put sun glasses on

> then weld blind

Yep. Slips right over top. That's what i do.

Nah fuck that

download2.jpeg

Andrew Squiggman /

> Sam Axe (OFMC) Wrote:

> fucking pussy ass mommas boy take 2 midols put in a fresh tampon and

> call me in the morning

Ever get that riding mower going, Nate?

> Moped Jay Wrote:

> So I should take the glasses I need to see with to put sun glasses on

> then weld blind

prescription sunglasses :)

AD6F4442-9916-44E3-8F70-DE22564118C6.jpeg

I just welded together a small tall bike and had crazy trucker tan. I even had splatter burns around my inside of my elbow where I was welding head high and it looked like a sharks bite. Should have taken a picture..... I am pasty AF and always burn from welding unless I cover up.

Ruffains 6 to midnight. Me fixin pipe in parking lot.

20181022_083725.jpg

Hahaha, burn any?

Liam Henderson /

Ohhh man, that looks really nasty actually. Why did you actually take the protection of? I mean the gloves. In case you are experienced in welding, then what has actually caused you to take the gloves off? Seriously, you should understand the importance of the security issues regarding welding and everything related to it. Honestly, I do not really like welding, however in case you there is a need, I am doing it. I actually learned a lot about welding, and all he protection in here https://afterpaints.com/best-welding-helmets-reviews/ . Actually I bought the welding helmet due to the reviews I read in there.

Thats not too bad, you'll live. I have had way worse than that and I am much darker skinned. Usually happens to me in the summer when I can't stand gearing up. hope you have a good helmet though. I know my eyesight suffers from all those tacks where I was too lazy to throw the helmet on and just closed my eyes and turned to the side a bit. I have had both eardrums burned through by welding spatter... now that is unpleasent.

> Norris Hall Wrote:

>I have had both eardrums burned through by welding spatter... now that is unpleasent.

Seconded, keep on welding whilst listening to your flesh sizzle away😳.

I've only burnt myself badly once and that was maxing out a 350A kit and doing a vertical up weld just for shits and giggles, just forgot to put my left glove on.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account