Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

> Andrew Squiggman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jarod V. Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Definitely air-cooled VW's. They're the simplest car engines ever,

>

> > nearly everything is interchangeable between engines and they were

>

> > produced for ~70 years.

>

> Type 1 and 4, not interchangeable at all. Except some nuts

Well duh, I was talking about VW's that actually came to the U.S. in any sizeable amount. Not niche air-cooled engines.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Here's one that one of you guys, stateside, could buy today: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192563780971?rmvSB=true

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Andrew Squiggman /

> Jarod V. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Andrew Squiggman Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Jarod V. Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > Definitely air-cooled VW's. They're the simplest car engines ever,

>

> >

>

> > > nearly everything is interchangeable between engines and they were

>

> >

>

> > > produced for ~70 years.

>

> >

>

> > Type 1 and 4, not interchangeable at all. Except some nuts

>

> Well duh, I was talking about VW's that actually came to the U.S. in any

> sizeable amount. Not niche air-cooled engines.

The type 1 engine and type 4 were both used in US busses. Hardly niche.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Datsun 510 bluebird

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

I agree with the og poster, plymouth valiant or dodge dart with a slant six. (edited)

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

> Avery M. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I agree with the og poster, plymouth valiant or dodge dart with a slant

> six.

although everyone's responses were legit and valid, i think a lot of folks missed the point. as much as i agree with the VW bug (and vintage japanese sedans) being moped-like in many ways, this vehicle unfortunately gets negated IMHO due to what the market here in the USA is commanding for them now.

even time-honored shitbox US cars--such as pintos and gremlins--tend to be worth more than non-collectable early mopar a-bodies (edited)

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Chryser products are strange in the sense that they are fantastic cars but are generally still the underdogs among the mainstream popular opinion.

This is even true regarding nich car/hotrod people.

I think too many people grew up amongst the ford/gm familys and just fallowed suit.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

true, but mopar muscle cars (factory 340, big-block, hemi, six-pack, 4-speeds) are now commanding big bucks.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

> Avery M. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Chryser products are strange in the sense that they are fantastic cars

> but are generally still the underdogs among the mainstream popular

> opinion.

>

> This is even true regarding nich car/hotrod people.

>

> I think too many people grew up amongst the ford/gm familys and just

> fallowed suit.

I think it depends a lot on where you live, in MN old Mopar stuff rusted away much faster than gm or Fords, so people did not get to have them long enough to know how long the engines would last.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

> Avery M. Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Chryser products are strange in the sense that they are fantastic cars

> but are generally still the underdogs among the mainstream popular

> opinion.

>

> This is even true regarding nich car/hotrod people.

>

> I think too many people grew up amongst the ford/gm familys and just

> fallowed suit.

The common Chrysler products of the 60s and 70s(NOT talking about the big Chryslers and Imperials here) had workmanship deficiencies in the interiors mainly.

Doors clanged, door knobs and other things didn't last, and the designs just weren't up to the standards of Ford and Chevy.

The plain fords and chevies were better built than the plain Dodges and plym ouths. That was MY perspective as a young man in the 60s.

don-ohio

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> The common Chrysler products of the 60s and 70s(NOT talking about the

> big Chryslers and Imperials here) had workmanship deficiencies in the

> interiors mainly.

>

> Doors clanged, door knobs and other things didn't last, and the

> he designs just weren't up to the standards of Ford and Chevy.

>

> The plain fords and chevies were better built than the plain Dodges

> es and plym ouths. That was MY perspective as a young man in the 60s.

>

> don-ohio

here's my original post, titled The Moped of Classic Cars:

my vote goes to early chrysler A-bodies. i'm not talking about barracudas, dart GTs, verts, and factory V8 4-speed cars. i'm talking about pre-'67 stodgy sedans with slant-sixes. even in really nice, drivable condition, they are relatively worthless in the world of classics.

that's my pick. there are others.

discuss.

here's my response to your recent, textbook, stupid, don-fucking-ohio reply:

once again, your fat, little pompous, know-it-all, sausage fingers had to chime in, completely straying from the topic, and making it all about you and your "perspective as a young man in the '60's".

STFU, don ohio.

if i make a post that asks users to discuss something, understand that it's implied that i mean everyone but you who is invited to post responses on my threads. (edited)

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

You are definitely ruining your own thread with your close-mindedness. I replied to Avery and Steve's posts. YOUR hostile posts NEVER deserve a serious reply. LOL!

don-ohio

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>YOUR hostile posts NEVER deserve a

> serious reply. LOL!

>

> don-ohio

then stop posting replies to my posts, dumbass.

“LOL!”

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Andrew Squiggman /

Kevin 99

Don-ohio 0. Still.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

> Andrew Squiggman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Kevin 99

>

> Don-ohio 0. Still.

it's just unfortunate that dipshit dum ohio never, ever knows when to STFU and stop posting.

EDIT: i almost forgot..."LOL!" (edited)

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

memebetter.com-20180624165723.jpg

(edited)

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Josiah Radebaugh /

Oh yeah! I forgot all about King Midgets. As it is that I live in the home of them. Every year they have a King Midget car show. I've always wanted one to put a small Briggs in as a cool gokart. But they're a bit hard to find.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Oh yeah! I forgot all about King Midgets. As it is that I live in the

> home of them. Every year they have a King Midget car show. I've always

> wanted one to put a small Briggs in as a cool gokart. But they're a bit

> hard to find.

I think it's possible to buy enough parts to build your own replica: http://midgetmotors.com

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Jimmy Cincinnati /

The VW bug is a good vote, tons produced, sold world wide, air-cooled, and cantankerous! They are getting expensive though, seen half ass examples sold for 3-4 grand...they barely cost that new! But then some Magnums are going for close to 2 grand, so maybe not that far off?

I think VW Bug wins this one.

The Yugo is another good one, but you can't find them anymore, at least not where I live, not that I would own one, would rather take my chances with a Bug than an old Fiat design!

Ive learned that Yugos get no respect. Cool looking cars in my opinion but then again my taste in autos sucks to most people. I hear they arent worth much but ive yet to ever actually see one forsale and i go to alot of junkyards.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

bug—no, no, no!! and it’s all due to the price. we who buy mopeds wouldn’t do so if they were 2k. bugs are not cheap, and therefore not moped-like. that, and they get tons of respect from non-VW peeps.

yugo—yes, because you can get them cheap, and they get zero respect outside of the few people brave enough to get one. that’s a moped of a car, whereas the bug falls short. (edited)

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Josiah Radebaugh /

"bug—no, no, no!! and it’s all due to the price. we who buy mopeds wouldn’t do so if they were 2k. bugs are not cheap, and therefore not moped-like. that, and they get tons of respect from non-VW peeps." That's true. 'Oh look it's a scooter!' says the average wanker.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

i never understood why anyone at this point would want to purchase a malaise-era car, let alone collect them.

i owned one—a 1975 dart sport (in 1980). worst car ever, and i have never owned another US car built between 1973 abd 1983. though many GM’s of this era weren’t quite as atrocious, mopars, fords, and AMCs were all shitboxes.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Overpriced Parts /

> revvin' kevin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i never understood why anyone at this point would want to purchase a

> malaise-era car, let alone collect them.

>

> i owned one—a 1975 dart sport (in 1980). worst car ever, and i have

> never owned another US car built between 1973 abd 1983. though many

> GM’s of this era weren’t quite as atrocious, mopars, fords, and AMCs

> were all shitboxes.

Ya but if it was 340 or 360 powered A body it would be quite collectible

296DC5A2-0771-4440-9BDF-B656FEED2F38.jpeg

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-1974-1976-dart-sport-360-plymouth.html

and quite fast ,

The 1974 360 duster set and held the small block (stock rules) drag racing time

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

440 powered police furys/monacos were regarded as some of the best squad cars available in many regards throughout the 1970's.

These cars are somewhat legendary if you talk to older officers...

Even the small block 318/360 units that held city patrol were very tuff.

I own a '76 coronet 9 pass. station wagon and love it.

That being said, I do agree quality and thus trust in American cars was at a low point overall in the 70's. (edited)

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

still a shitbox, and those who are lucky enough to be able to find one that isn’t completely rotted out wind up updating literally every component in order to de-shit-tize it.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Overpriced Parts /

> revvin' kevin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> still a shitbox, and those who are lucky enough to be able to find one

> that isn’t completely rotted out wind up updating literally every

> component in order to de-shit-tize it.

I’m not disagreeing with you if it’s been some time out in the Rust Belt but otherwise y

Theyre the greatest cars in the world! a 71 hemi Cuda convertible cost two or three Bugatti‘s!

I’ve been In many mopar cars! wing Daytonas, superbirds fury’s, cop Dodge Monaco‘s that I used to get for 300 bucks! The fastest and best American cars with but with no maintance ever or detail again depended on the make they were either a dog or the greatest cars! (edited)

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

my friend's dad collected yugos. I always loved em. but collectors are few and only because they are cheap and weird - which arguably might make them more appropriate to the mopediest cars. despite being under appreciated, there was Drowning Mona which featured a lotta yugos quite heavily

but yeah VW air cooled bugs probably still win it. cheap mass produced, bought and forgotten, and air cooled = dead simple to work on, also easily and frequently customizable.

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Overpriced Parts /

> Ken Roff Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > revvin' kevin Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > still a shitbox, and those who are lucky enough to be able to find one

>

> > that isn’t completely rotted out wind up updating literally every

>

> > component in order to de-shit-tize it.

>

> I’m not disagreeing with you if it’s been some time out in the Rust

> t Belt but otherwise y

>

> Theyre the greatest cars in the world! a 71 hemi Cuda convertible cost

> two or three Bugatti‘s!

>

> I’ve been In many mopar cars! wing Daytonas, superbirds fury’s, cop

> p Dodge Monaco‘s that I used to get for 300 bucks! The fastest and best

> American cars with but with no maintance ever or detail again depended

> on the make they were either a dog or the greatest cars!

It actually was maintenance and whoever on the line who made your car if it was a good car for a dog.

My father bought in mid year 1971 a Chrysler station wagon though it was not brand new it only had 2000 miles on it it had a 440 chi rated at 360 horse not 375 because it was a single exhaust not double,

The loaded Chrysler wagon was a rocketship (my father sold it or actually traded in 1972 for Pontiac Catalina p400 ci which was about the worst car ever and it actually blew up in three years) due to low axle ratio for towing a trailer and so was super fast fast off th line, and he didn’t like the way the Chrysler starter sounded even know he had a 66 Dodge Cornett that sounded the same way! that was stolen a year and a half after he bought it) and us kids played with electric windows!

Since I lived 2 mi from a Chrysler Plymouth dealership (and a Citroen car dealer ship that had Panteras) I was in a superbird, I was in a hemi Dodge Daytona I was in a 340 six pack arr Cuda and I almost bought a Dodge challenger TA, if I had those cars now if I would’ve had pabout two or $3 million bucks,

I knew what they were worth then (though the banks would give me nothing not finance anything on an old car because they were stupid) and I know what they are worth now, amongst the priciest American cars in that era bar none!

Mopar or no car in that era is in my opinion

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

Andrew Squiggman /

Ken is still triggered

Re: The Moped of Classic Cars

` Mopar or no car in that era is in my opinion' Ken said.

Gotta take issue with you on that,Ken. The `big three' ALL had great muscle cars if you could get the money together. The big Pontiacs of 72 were not good cars though,after they got some miles on them. The GTO was just fine. Hurst Olds and Mustangs galore!

don-ohio

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account