Any Love For Vintage Garden Tractors?

For the last year or two I've been finding myself getting all hot and bothered over these old 80's riding mowers.

It turns out that much like mopeds in the 90's you can pick these up for around $100 to $200 and spend a weekend fixing them up to use or resell.

I have two older ones now that I use on my farm, and have fixed up and resold 3 others.

Anyone else into these things? You can also swap a few pulleys and make them scoot along at around 15mph. That doesn't sound like much, but when there is no suspension, poor steering response and limited braking it can get pretty exciting!

Anyway, I thought I'd share my latest gas powered hobby.

00q0q_2IgMoQ5liqO_600x450.jpg
Image4.jpg
Image2.jpg

Re: Any Love For Vintage Garden Tractors?

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

15mph? Try 60mph on a dirt track.

image.jpg

Overpriced Parts /

Put throttle cable directly to carb throttle butterfly bypassing the spring governor bull crap and those tractors fly

I want the one with the little front end bucket.....

Looks useful.

Edit: Does it have enough ass to scoop earth? (edited)

Aaron Ward /

Not sure why but I've got the bug for old Snowblowers!

IMG_20171030_195329.jpg

^ there is money in those if you live in the great white north, one of the security guys at my work buys them up all summer for next to nothing, gets them all running and keeps 2 in his truck all winter, drives around in snow storms and finds people shoveling or stuck and sells every last one at a very nice profit. (edited)

Aaron Ward /

My personal one is the exact same model that I rebuilt a few years back. There tanks, all metal. I picked the above one up last weekend for 30 bucks. Good carb clean, fresh gas and oil change and she started up. New auger bushings and skids next and I'll be 300bucks richer.

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

I like vintage snowblowers. Also I'm quite fond of these:

Do they pass the speed of sound? Or was that just the old fat driver farting?

Overpriced Parts /

> Yucka Plant Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Do they pass the speed of sound? Or am I nuts?

You are nuts!

That Craftsman with the bucket on the front and all of it's handles and controls, also sports a pair of armrests to give your arms a break on the ride back to the barn. Nice.

Did they even make any other attachments for them besides a mowing deck and a Tonka bucket?

Not sure about that model, but some tractors had plow blades or snow thrower attachments. Rear wheel weights and chains recommend.

Oh heck yes.

Back in the day these old sears tractors were sold as genuine farm tractors. As such they had tons of add-ons like rear box blades, front dozer blades, disc harrows, plows, cultivators, tiller attachments, snow blowers, there were even some really odd attachments like generators, and potato seeders.

I've got quite a few of these attachments and many of them still work.

When I go out hunting for these little beasts, I try and get ones that have a few "attachments" to go with it.

I've used a few of them including the scoop in the picture and they do the job nicely.

Don't get me wrong, they are no Kubota or "Real" tractor, but if you work slowly and realize their limits you can dig a giant hole, or plow a large field. It just takes longer to get it done.

Are you saying all of those attachments were available for a Craftsman in the 80's?

"Back in the day" was the 1960's for me. I have a tough time labeling anything from the 80's as vintage, but i guess it's time is growing near.

I mow my yard every week with a 1961 401 "Suburban" Wheel Horse. I have a 1962 702 Wheel Horse that i had all of the tires foam filled. Not sure why they call it foam because they're heavy as hell. The "foam" reminds me of the same thing superballs are made of. I made some wheel weights for it by lead filling some vented Taurus rotors too.

I had a single stage snowblower attachment for it but i traded it for a mower deck. The blower was heavy, loud, and with the little 7hp on the 702, i could only throw show about 6-8ft, and if it was more than 4-5 inches deep, 1st gear was too fast.

I picked up a late 60's 10hp Wheel Horse last year that has the high-low range. I forget the model number(1056?) but it is a true "garden tractor". No stamped frame on these old tractors. It has a one or two year only primitive CDI, that has no spark. Need to find all the doo-dads to convert it to points.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /
IMG_20171025_173344.jpg

I like my new toy better.

And it looks just like a modern scooter (edited)

^ I hate new toilets. When i drop the kids off at the pool, 1.28 gallons isn't enough to get the job done.

885F491A-CA0F-4155-B485-C27D15C9B524.jpeg

Y’all got me searching Craigslist... found this AMF, about 2 hours away, that’s been for sale for over a month @ $250.

B980A803-14B5-4FAD-8449-E5F60029E15A.jpeg

Spotted this 'bute over the summer.

Kubota.jpg

That AMF has a 600 series tecumseh trans. Bombproof if it's a full bearing unit vs bushings. Even the bushing versions will take a beating.

the old wheelhorse tractors are already collectors. The are heavy duty and look like scale model tractors.

Don't think it would scoop much unless you added weight to back. Those Craftsman were kinda light. If you want a heavy hitter get a 1972 JD 112 witch weighed in at over 650lbs. I had one for over 15years, it was a beast.

Haha fuck yea so rad but they take up like twice or more the garage space. I always oogle em at the local motor shows and shit

There was one I remember really liking but can't find a pic

Whatabout this tho- best of both worlds?

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

I had a Cub Cadet.

It had a hydrostatic drive unit on it and a snowblower the thing would just crawl in lower range Infinate Gearing.

It also had the weights that went into the back wheels.

image.jpg

This is pic of my first Wheel Horse with a Small Block Ford V-8 on it. ;)

8hp, 6spd, 1967 model. 867. Sold it back in the 90's....like a dumbass.

I guess I consider any garden tractor made before 2000 or so to be vintage at this point.

These tractors were built to have a 10 year life span at most, so that makes an 00 almost twice that span.

Truthfully there are only a few generations of these critters. 60's monsters with full frames, small motors and lots of weight. 70's where they got more useful, but also lost some of their charm. 80's to mid 90's where I feel the best true garden tractors are.

Most of these still have full frames, but some had morphed into c channel or one piece frames. The good news is that even those still were made with 10 or 11 gauge steel and most of them came with either a stout hydrostat auto trans, or the Hi/Lo 6 speed that is tough as nail.

These 80's units can be found dirt cheap and if they come with a sleeve hitch on the back they can do just about everything a small farmer needs to do, short of back-ho work.

The better news is that you can still buy attachments for these things new, even though they are not built as well as the oldies.

My 1994 Craftsman II GT6000 has the Hi/Lo trans, Ag tires filled with fluid for extra traction, a sleeve hitch for the cultivator it came with, and that cool little scoop.

The scoop is good up to about 250lbs per scoop, so its quite useful on my little homestead.

Heck even a 2000's garden tractor is still cool, but I feel they are still overpriced, and tend to suffer more trans issues.

I know the 120V generator add on was available on the 80's model craftsmans. but I think they discontinued it when they went to vertical shaft engines in the mid 90's.

Great thread! Thanx for sharing!

Rick Bergsma /

I still use a 1988 Bolens H16XL lawn tractor to cut and sweep my lawn . It's hydrostatic with a forward / reverse pedal which is great for mowing around bushes and trees .

IMG_1356.JPG

Midsize. Butt So much wAnt.

D9030F0B-BFC0-4F25-AF09-9BF507C4D837.jpeg

And then there’s this relevant hotness.....

E535E9E6-9CB9-4A08-8D1B-B8B49775F976.jpeg

(edited)

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account