Solar Eclipse Glasses

Does everybody have the glasses?

Re: Solar Eclipse Glasses

Probably Fred /

Welding helmet or You could use your phone or tablet's camera or just watch it on TV because it's not gonna be a full eclipse where you or I are anyway Terry.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I work for a welding gas company and alot of dudes have been asking about shade 14 welding lens. Most claim to be heading down to southern KY or TN.

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

Terry Gerker /

Wonder how many will go blind from this. There has been plenty of warnings.

Paul Boyer (OFMC) /

Don't fuck around looking at the eclipse. I had a high school teacher who went blind back in the '70's. He had read that it was ok to look at an eclipse threw 35mm negatives. Eeh!!! That's rough.

my welding auto darkening goes to 13. that's my plan

though it is a good point, people are dumb and theres gonna be a rash of blindings!

Terry Gerker /

Yea, there was one in 1918. They didn't know what we do now, so wonder how many went blind then?

Born to be WillD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> my welding auto darkening goes to 13. that's my

> plan

Me too. But I'm not going to stare at it for any length of time. Sounds like it's not going to be all that impressive here anyway.

Bunch of inferior eyeglasses being sold. BEWARE!Don't be a victim.

It's not that big of a deal,like Halley's Comet was.

These eclipses happen a lot,just not across the continental US that often. don-ohio

Last time a saw a full solar eclipse i used some cheap photofilm glasses, me and the rest of the continent didnt go blind.

No need to put on welding masks.

Volvo wins though... In order to allow owners to view the solar eclipse on August 21 without leaving the vehicle, Volvo created the straightforwardly named XC60 Panoramic Moonroof Eclipse Viewer. Essentially, the viewer is a sun shade that uses magnets to clip itself on top of the 2018 XC60's panoramic moonroof. It's ISO-certified 12312-2, letting you watch the eclipse happen without glasses or, you know, going blind. Since the moonroof is rather large, it'll allow all five vehicle occupants to watch the eclipse at once. Sooo rad.

IMG_8311.JPG
IMG_8312.JPG
IMG_8313.PNG

Andrew Squiggman /

Terry Gerker Wrote:

> Yea, there was one in 1918. They didn't know what

> we do now, so wonder how many went blind then?

the blinded ones also grew hairy palms

Heading down near Jackson Hole, Wyoming to view the total. We had an amazing total eclipse here in Lewistown, back in 1979. Perfect all the way through, cloudless sky. Here's my brothers and me in 1979... I'm in the middle. Oh, and we have #11 welding glass for this one. I'd love to find our old masks!

Eclipse.jpg

Bas Autowas Wrote:

> Last time a saw a full solar eclipse i used some

> cheap photofilm glasses, me and the rest of the

> continent didnt go blind.

> No need to put on welding masks.

Error on the safe side,Kids............this guy may be steering you wrong. You shouldn't be dissing the danger,Bas. You might've just been fortunate.

don-ohio

Agreed, I remember one,when I was a kid, it may well have been in '79, that seems right, we watched it at school, not a total I don't think, but so long ago, we made the viewers and no one was allowed to look, we were supervised by teachers and the science teachers were all geeked out, but it was cool. The radiation from the sun is nothing to f with. I even remember them telling us when the next one was and it was in 2000 something, I bet it was 2017, and I remember thinking how far away that was...be careful.

Re: Solar Eclipse Close-up

I am going for the close-up view

Binocsun.jpg

'79 seems about right. I remember the front page of the newspaper had the instructions to make the viewer box one day. A lot of kids made the viewer but were not allowed outside. From what I can remember they split the school up between the auditorium and the cafeteria and had TV's to watch it on one of the news channels.

Re: Solar Eclipse Close-up

Actually you can use a gun sight, binoculars or telescope to view the eclipse

solareclipsebinocular.jpg

So I have the local news on the TV. I'm just listening and doing something else. The two anchors are doing that bit where they read a viewers Email on air concerning the upcoming Eclipse then mouth out an answer in that serious voice they use.

The Question read was: "Is there any protection available for my pets during the eclipse?" "should I be concerned?"

The news anchor replied, "yes, you don't want your pets staring at the eclipse and should keep them indoors during the event"

Swear to god this was what was said.

Sometimes I think America unwittingly begs for all the Jihad they get.

This was on Yahoo a while ago.Guy lost his vision years ago by looking at one

https://www.yahoo.com/style/man-warning-people-not-look-192034334.html

don-ohio

A guy goes off his meds and he's bound to lose it anyway.

(edited)

Russell Greene /

We're supposed to get half an eclipse. Already seen that, but I brought my welding hood for anyone that wants to check it out at work.

cheetahchrome . Wrote:

> So I have the local news on the TV. I'm just

> listening and doing something else. The two

> anchors are doing that bit where they read a

> viewers Email on air concerning the upcoming

> Eclipse then mouth out an answer in that serious

> voice they use.

> The Question read was: "Is there any protection

> available for my pets during the eclipse?" "should

> I be concerned?"

> The news anchor replied, "yes, you don't want your

> pets staring at the eclipse and should keep them

> indoors during the event"

> Swear to god this was what was said.

> Sometimes I think America unwittingly begs for

> all the Jihad they get.

So true....

no one of covfefe /

so i can weld in eclipse glasses. they might be too dark even, i think i rock like a 9 or 10...i don't weld much.

So how did the nonsensical mass hysteria work out? Millions blinded?

there was a shitload of traffic.

it was neat. I think for people in the line it was very neat. it's a pretty unique experience, and one most everyone had access too. in the FOMO culture of social media the "mass hysteria" is pretty warranted

the morons like "hah I'm better than this eclipse, im not gonna buy some dumb glasses" really missed out on awesome by trying to be too cool for the eclipse. hah - oops on y'all

it's like the Christmas haters. or sports haters. it's way more fun to get swept up in the excitement and flow with the river than sit there fussy like a stick in the mud.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

so i can weld in eclipse glasses. they might be too dark even, i think i rock like a 9 or 10...i don't weld much

I think a 10 is the lowest shade they recommend for welders. I personally like something darker like an 11 or 12.

the morons like "hah I'm better than this eclipse, im not gonna buy some dumb glasses" really missed out on awesome by trying to be too cool for the eclipse. hah - oops on y'all

i didnt prep for it at all but while at work i busted out some welding lenses and looked at it. Im sorry to say, but it was way over hyped. Some guy described missing this as never finding true love in life. I didnt get that feeling.

I got an adjustable autodarkening helmet that goes from like 4 to 13. I was watching the eclipse at 13, and went down to ~11 for a bit, but you didn't see much anyway. I also borrowed a coworkeds eclipse glasses and they were way darker than the 13. maybe not way darker, but darker for sure.

Jimmy Cincinnati Wrote:

> i didnt prep for it at all but while at work i

> busted out some welding lenses and looked at it.

> Im sorry to say, but it was way over hyped. Some

> guy described missing this as never finding true

> love in life. I didnt get that feeling.

we rigged up a mirror and projected it on the building for everyone without glasses, worked great. I don't disagree that some people over hyped it, my point is that the idiots who were "too cool" for the hype and just sat it out missed out on something neat, for no other reason than to poopoo the hype.

i'm not talking about the people who genuinely didn't care. I'm talking about the self-important asshats who go out of their way to brag about missing out on something awesome just to belittle it for others and be too cool for the hype.

such a shitty attitude

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account