94 Blazer Catalytic Converter

So ours is fuel injected. The catalytic converter is so plugged we're lucky to get 8 miles to the gallon. We don't have emission control laws in MT. I just want the stupid thing off there. I know it'll probably make the engine light come on, but it already does quite often. Not worried about that.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it'll mess with the fuel injection at all. I was never educated in fuel injection, and I know there's many types, etc... but if anyone has experience with these gmc motors like this, please share your knowledge with me. Ours is a V6. I forgot the size.

I'm even wondering if I could possibly burn it out like a moped muffler, or if anyone has experience with that.

Re: 94 Blazer Catalytic Converter

Probably Fred /

Take it off you should be fine

First generation were simple throttle body injector not each cylinder

I had several 90s Chevy vans with throttle body injector that were missing converter and no check engine light

Bad Cadillac™ /

Are you sure it's not your oxygen sensors?

You should really pull the codes and see what the heck is going on with the engine before replacing any parts.

Probably Fred /

Bad Cadillac™ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are you sure it's not your oxygen sensors?

>

> You should really pull the codes and see what the

> heck is going on with the engine before replacing

> any parts.

He didn't say any check engine lights were on,

Sensor is in front of convertor anyway.

Pretty sure with that old age (23 years) converters blocked but ya it all needs a tune up, Throttlebody cleaned, new plugs, wires cap, rotor, run diagnostics heck yeah specially if it hasn't been done for a while.

Give it the treatment

Bad Cadillac™ /

Ken Roff Wrote:

> Bad Cadillac™ Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Are you sure it's not your oxygen sensors?

> >

> > You should really pull the codes and see what

> the

> > heck is going on with the engine before

> replacing

> > any parts.

>

> He didn't say any check engine lights were on,

> Sensor is in front of convertor anyway.

> Pretty sure with that old age (23 years)

> converters blocked but ya it all needs a tune up,

> Throttlebody cleaned, new plugs, wires cap, rotor,

> run diagnostics heck yeah specially if it hasn't

> been done for a while.

> Give it the treatment

He did say the check engine light was on: "I know it'll probably make the engine light come on, but it already does quite often. Not worried about that."

The O2 sensor may also be 23 years old. Bad O2 typically kill MPG too.

Pull the codes before cutting off the converter to be sure that is def your issue.

Don Wayne (Ofmc) /

Wasn't the 94 GM still equipped with the stupid simple obd port you can jump with a paper clip and count the flashes on the Check Engine light?

A clogged converter is bad news...excise it immediately...check for any recycle value, some were worth it

Had a clogged converter...the exhaust manifold was glowing cherry red (edited)

Bad Cadillac™ /

Don Wayne (Ofmc) Wrote:

> Wasn't the 94 GM still equipped with the stupid

> simple obd port you can jump with a paper clip and

> count the flashes on the Check Engine light?

> A clogged converter is bad news...excise it

> immediately...check for any recycle value, some

> were worth it

> Had a clogged converter...the exhaust manifold was

> glowing cherry red

That's what I do not know, if it's OBD or OBD2. It's in the in-between years kind of thing.

If you can get access to one of those laser thermal digital guns, warm up the car to normal and check the temp of the pipe where it goes in and comes out of the Cat. If flowing and working the temps will be two to three times higher on the output of the converter. If restricted, the temps will be higher on the input side and the same or cooler on the output side.

If you decide it is plugged you can take it off and shove a lenght of rebar and just chip out all the element till you can see through it then bolt it back on. (edited)

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

94 V6, so it's a 4.3L S-10 blazer. It could be a central fuel injected motor or a multi-port fuel injection(10th digit Z in the vin)

Neither had an O2 sensor after the cat, so the computer does not monitor cat efficiency and doing away with the cat will not put the light on.

A clogged cat will screw with it more than no cat would, hence the poor fuel economy. I'd drop the pipe down behind the cat and poke a bar in there and break up the internals and gut it. Start it with the pipe off then and rev it to blow out all remaining pieces so it doesn't end up down stream and become a clogged muffler. Just don't tell the feds that you performed surgery on your converter. ;)

Disclaimer:

The above proceedure is for test purposes only. All emissions related equipment should be present on your vehicle to comply with federal regulations.

hahhaa the engine light is NOT my concern. If it was just flickering at times ad nothing else was happening, I couldn't care less... but no. It's bogging like crazy. Smells like a rotten egg factory and the catalytic converter is FULL.

I wasn't asking for a diagnosis. I already know it's the catalytic converter giving me restriction and piss-poo mileage. Just hoping someone had a suggestion, as I'm new to fuel injection. I'll remove it. Ken Roff listened to my first post. Thanks.

I have a great fix for the engine light. Opaque tape. I can always put it on a hand held computer for free to see what it's trying to tell me. I can usually tell something is wrong and what it is before that stupid light comes on.

Thank you former artist. It's what I was wanting to hear!

You can run it without, had an s-10 without it, and the light only came on after about 15-20 minutes of highway driving. Never came on in town. I would check the codes, but 8mpg sounds clogged to me. Once you get it off give it a tune up. They used to make a "test" pipe that would fit where the converter was, with flanges and all, not sure if those are still around? I drilled one out once, but even with a mask would not do that again, you should be able to get some money for it at a yard for the platinum.

Don Wayne (Ofmc) /

~ DeeZy Wrote:

> So ours is fuel injected. The catalytic converter

> is so plugged we're lucky to get 8 miles to the

> gallon. We don't have emission control laws in MT.

> I just want the stupid thing off there. I know

> it'll probably make the engine light come on, but

> it already does quite often. Not worried about

> that.

> I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it'll mess

> with the fuel injection at all. I was never

> educated in fuel injection, and I know there's

> many types, etc... but if anyone has experience

> with these gmc motors like this, please share your

> knowledge with me. Ours is a V6. I forgot the

> size.

> I'm even wondering if I could possibly burn it out

> like a moped muffler, or if anyone has experience

> with that.

If you have a second o2 sensor at the back end , like some other car makers have, then yes it will " mess with the injection"

Bad Cadillac™ /

Oh I listened to your first post for sure. I've removed cats before and the vehicle is more peppy and you can also get a little more exhaust smell. In ODB cars yes, no check engine because the O2 is before the cat but I also did not know if yours was OBD or OBD2. I was just asking you questions because you did not imply it is definately a clogged cat because the cat insides will not burn off like a moped exhaust and I did not want you to just start cutting parts off and such. So I did not know who was telling you it was a clogged cat.

I read you said the check engine was flickering on and were not worried about that. In my opinion, you should fix that as well so the engine performs it's best. Cover the light up and as more issues come up that would cause the light to come on, you will never know what the real issue is. Again, just my opinion. I once checked codes for a lady that had 7 different and she said the check engine light had been on for years!

It will continue to clog until it shuts the engine down or starts a fire.

Cut it off, straight pipe it and you are done. (edited)

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Don Wayne (Ofmc) Wrote:

>

> If you have a second o2 sensor at the back end ,

> like some other car makers have, then yes it will

> " mess with the injection"

^ This is not true. The downstream O2 sensor (after cat) is there to determine cat efficiency. Under normal driving, it's reading is normally flat line. If the downstream O2 sensor starts mimicking the readings of the upstream O2 sensor, this tells the computer that the cat is no longer doing it's job. (P0420 or P0430 for bank 2)

It's the upstream O2 that continuously monitors the oxygen in the exhaust to dictate fuel trims.

Most cat failures are a result of engine misfires being ignored. The raw fuel and air being dumped in to the cat increases temps as it's trying to do it's job and results in a meltdown. Usually for the price of a set of spark plug wires, the cat would have survived.

I see no sensors near it or after it. I'll be cutting it out, and leaving it out. I won't try burning it out, although I read on some forum that people have.

I don't need anyone to tell me it is plugged. I can tell myself that it is. Of course after I do it, I'll probably plug it in and see what it says. I'm not just guessing at things because the engine light sometimes comes on. That happened after I was already aware that the converter is plugging up.

Mainly I was hoping people with experience could tell me if it would run ok without it, being fuel injected. I found I should be able to, so thanks all!

Probably Fred /

Ya remove convertor but need to leave o2 sensor in

Straight pipe it for the environment

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account