Things you had as a kid that are now inexplicably popular again

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /

It's one of the signs of aging. What are your best non-moped examples?

My pick would have to be Oakley Frogskins. I got them 20 some years ago for $40 and now they fetch 3 or 4x that. I never would have predicted it. I wish I'd kept better track of them.

Re: Things you had as a kid that are now inexplicably popular again

Vinyl records. I kept all my albums from my younger years, including every Beatle album ever made.

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /
olav OP

Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Vinyl records. I kept all my albums from my

> younger years, including every Beatle album ever

> made.

Did you really expect them to go out of style? I noticed a resurgence in the late '90s that clued me in.

Tomy wind-up robots.. The "Rascal Robots." 5 years ago or so, I could buy them all day long for a few dollars each. Now, they're fetching 60-70 dollars each! It's insane. I do have a couple. I gave one away a few years ago as a birthday present. Wish I woulda bought up a bunch of'em when they were still cheap.

Shark Shark game for the ol' Intellivision. Same thing, almost same dollars. And my original Shark Shark game went bad many years ago. It was one of the best games for Intellivision ever.

Spartus Cat clocks...

Harambe-shaped Cheetohs.

But if I had a Fisher Price Nifty Station Wagon, I'd be rolling in it!

My Monza Jr. go-kart's worth a ton these days, but I sure don't wanna sell that!

Yep... Certain ones can bring in top dollar, but they aren't too awfully bad for the most part.. yet. I been watching Leonard Nimoy records go up steadily though, and I been wanting to collect those for about 20 years now. Sadly, I just got my ebay account up and going last year.

I wouldn't mind one of those original picture-albums of Saturnalia.

I've never not had a record player; well, since I was about 4, and had my own little plastic portable. Loved that little thing to death!

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /
olav OP

I basically made this thread just for DeeZy.

Everyone else can go home!

Hey remember the wind up "records" for kids that worked a bit like your fisher price radio? They basically had little pegs that would make the song as they passed the "needle"

no one of covfefe /

so why not PM him?

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /
olav OP

These things! I bet you could 3DeeZ print or otherwise make some interesting custom modern discs for them.

(edited)

no one of covfefe /

Yep... very popular for FP collectors. I never liked them much, even as a kid, so I never got into them. They're plentiful. They also made re-makes of those just recently.

I'm still needing a few of the old Fisher Price and Disney Action Films little movie cartridges. I'm also going to re-do some of those with other super 8's.. Like Jetsons, Aristocats, Woody Woodpecker, etc. Replacing and looping the new reel, but I have to also shorten them down.

Pedal Cars

Andrew Squiggman /

no one of covfefe /

^willD?

no one of covfefe /

anyone remember girders and panels?

I think I had girders and panels. What I remember was something like a plastic erector set but plastic and futuristic. Some panels looked brick and others had clear yellow or blue. This was 1966?

no one of covfefe /

yup. the panels were about the size of a playing card

Probably Fred /

Mopeds

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /
olav OP

I'd love to see these make a comeback

Yep... had them... with the cool bubble windows and other colored windows and cool pressed tiles. If it's what I'm thinking... there were the ones with thin printed "building" prints, with black girders and stuff... asbestos bases, it seems... and then an older version that were white square and rectangle, and triangle frames. Those were the ones with the way cool clear colored stuff. Wow. Totally forgot.

I was just looking at viewmasters on ebay last night. The "talking" viewmaster. hahahaa funny stuff. I have some older ones. I almost bid on a Land of the Lost meets the Abominable Snowman reels. I still want to.

Yep.. the playing card sized panels were more 70's.

Andrew Squiggman /

Count Olav Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd love to see these make a comeback

>

yeah. capsella. I had those. they were fun for about a day.

Andrew Squiggman /

no one of covfefe /

yes, and I'd love some growing rocks!

My girders were all white and panels about 2.5x2.5 inches.

Yep... real sharp edged? Cool bubble windows for some, and all the flat colored plexiglass pieces too... I wonder whatever happened to ours, or what those ones were actually called.

Those building sets...

Here's the one I mainly grew up with, and then as my younger brothers got more into this type of thing, we got the Girders & Panels, like the last photo below.

Super City... (took me forever to find'em on line)

SuperCity.JPG
SuperCitypieces.jpg
girder-and-panel02.jpg

Oh, and those old "Magic Mirror" sand art oval window things are worth a bunch now! My Grandma had 2... the original, and one that glowed in the dark. I think my aunt still might have both somewhere.

Rick Bergsma /

I had one of these Cox cars as a kid . You could still pick one up for around $30 a couple years ago .

Now the prices are ridiculous.

Re: Those building sets...

Ѭ ɞŦЯʚOluv Ѫѫ /
olav OP

The shrike reminds me of the traveling lawn tractor sprinkler which I always wanted

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account