yo what kinda car is this??

anyone know what this is? looks to be late 80s? maybe japanese? school me plz i need some help identifying this picture.

Re: yo what kinda car is this??

It is a pontiac fiero. '80's (edited)

Morgan Aguayo /

Yes! thank you, rims were the give away.

Probably Fred /

^Yeah...not one of gm's greater efforts, looked cooler than they really were, HUGE blind spot in the b pillar. However some brave souls transplanted V8's into them... :)

4cyls were pooch supposedly and the v6 'pace cars were nothing special too.

but I must say...

When I rode in one 7 years ago I loved the interior!

You sit low and the shifter is above your waist on a huge console!

I wanted one so bad

Interchangeable plastic body parts were a neat sales gimmick. An owner could easily convert a standard Fire-Oh into a mini El Camino or station wagon. (edited)

I did for a while as well, until I worked with a guy who owed one, it was just awful in the snow...and it snows a LOT here. Not sure if it was the tires or just being so light but it went nowhere fast in the winter.

The 1st gen MR2 shits all over these, plus you don't have the whole catching on fire thing to worry about.

i watched one burn to the ground once

Bad Cadillac™ /

The 2.5L 4 cylinders where the engines that caused fires and that was in the beginning of the cars generation.

In the end, a 1987 GT with V6 was a really nice quick car. I have a friend that wanted one and finally got one 7 years ago, an 86 GT and he drives it just about every day.

The cars are still cool to this day and there are many people that drop V8's in them now.

The Japanese competitor at the time was the Toyota MR2.

^ What would really rock is to wad a Buick Grand National turbo 3.8 in there, heard gm thought about it...now that would have been something to see. :)

MR2's can catch on fire too. Friend went to test drive a 88 MR2, and she had to pull over real quick as the engine compartment caught on fire. The used car dealer lost that one.

HAH! I have those rims on my GMC sonoma! stripping and poolishing them mirror soon

I saw one of these with a jet-ski on trailer behind it parked at the bar by the lake once; I went into the bar to have a drink, when I hear this joker telling this old hag about his "sports car and jet boat" he has parked outside.

God I hate those things. I'd take an mk1 MR2 or a Porsche 914 over them any day.

There's a dude around here with a fiero converted into a trike. It's not even well done. It just looks like he hot-glued the back end of a fiero to a motorcycle front end.

^That sounds safe....lol!

A customer stopped into our shop years ago with a VW Bus that had a Fiero V-6 installed. It looked good/sounded good. He said it was a three year project his dad and he did. I didn't think to ask where the radiator was but have wondered about that since then. Some people are genius.

Waste of a Bus. At least a Fiero died too.

I had an '84 Fiero when I was younger. I miss that car.

i saw some show on youtube about a teenage girl re building one from the ground up.

mit mortso Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i saw some show on youtube about a teenage girl re

> building one from the ground up.

Was the show about her having something wrong with her head?

My parents bought one new in 1984, seats with speakers were nice, but 2.5 and a notchy 4 speed sucked. Trans liked to bend throw out bearing fork, clutch sucked and the front end geometry made it handle like pooh. Big hump in between seats (gas tank) made it no good to go on dates with either. Never caught fire though.

^front end on the early ones anyway was shared with chevette...so that explains the handling! Not sure about the later ones if it was changed?

Yeah the last two years they got the front end better and had the v6, but then it was too late. Oh, and the gears that flipped up the headlights were plastic and would strip, but it was a full circle gear that only used half the teeth, so you could flip it over. I didn't hate the car, but it could have been much better so easily. I did cram 4 people into it once, that was a feat.

Andrew Squiggman /

driving one of these is like downhill laying on a skateboard. you are almost horizontal when driving.

biggest fail was one with a ferarri body kit.

guy got kind of squinty when i called it a ferraro.

Huh, that looks like an '86. I had an '84 Fiero 2M4. It had some shortcomings, but I really liked it. The 4 speed was a bit out-dated at the time. The 4 cylinder engine was they old Iron Duke 2.5, but having that push-rod, spur-gear timed, engine behind your head made for a less than quiet ride. But shoot, it had a ton of leg room, the tight steering was fun, and it got decent economy. After '84 they re-routed the fuel line away from the exhaust manifold, and added extra ventilation to the engine compartment, which cleared up the fire issues. The car gets a lot of hate, but honestly, that happens every time a car maker does something out of the ordinary, then we all bitch about cars all looking the same. It's a real pitty that GM didn't have any decent small engines at the time to put in it.

Didn't these use the same engine as the S-10? I never heard of those engines catching fire in an S-10. Or was it some way the fuel line was routed?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account