im getting f'd in the a by my rental company

rock finally shredding pow /

so apparently you have to give 30 days notice before you plan to move out, even if it was agreed at the beginning that you were moving out on may 31st. so i just put in my 30 days, now i have to pay for the extra 23 days that over lap past my lease. which equates to around 600 bucks. which i was planning on using to get home, which is across the country, which is 4300 miles with the route we are going. so, best case scenario somebody moves in immediatley and we get refunded our 600 bucks. if not, its gone.

FML

Re: im getting f'd in the a by my rental company

no groms no blasters /

just walk away without paying. let them take it out of your deposit/last month's rent. fuck them; they're landlords.

become a squatter

30 days notice is pretty standard...as in it's on every lease in the country. Landlords don't want to find tenants b/c it really sucks. Sublet the place for the month. $300 is better than no dollars.

But if he told the landlord before that that he was moving out. The landlord got More than 30 days notice. And should have been showing the place.

Is that the case rock?

Re: im getting f\'d in the a by my rental company

Aaron, that sounds right to me. Mike, did you have a signed lease? If so, the lease expiring is all the notice the landlord needs, and if not, then he\'s got no case. No lease = no obligation.

Mike, you coming back!?

Sullivan & Sullivan,llp /

ask them for the account statement for the escrow account they put your security deposit in. Most landlords won't do this although it is the law (at least in MA anyways). If they fail to do it they could owe you triple whatever you put in there; I've used this scare tactic on many landlords to get what I want, and it's worked every time.

no groms no blasters /

That's the spirit, Corey!

yeah i signed the lease and it says clearly on the front page "30 days notice must be given before vacating" It was my fault, plain and simple, just didnt check when i should have. im over it, i took a "200 dollar realtor class" as my girlfriends mother said.

for some reason i just figured i was moving out may 31st, and thats it. but it wasnt, and its my fault i didnt check up on it. lesson learned.

and yes mars im coming back!

I'd still try the security deposit trick, from the landlords perspective it might be easier to just let you leave than go through the hassle of taking you to court for the 30 days rent, where you could potentially countersue for the interest on your security deposit.

either way it'll be nice to have ya back.

PS the irony here is now I'm a landlord.

a hem, i think you mean "f'd in the B"

lets not talk nasty here.

yeah the whole thing if i did that corey, id probably have to stick around here. and i already have hotels booked in SF and vegas.

and youre the landlord at that place in malden was it?

I have never got my refund back... So I no long bust my ass cleaning a place spotless when leaving.

West Medford muthafucka!

The landlord doesn't know you're skipping town right away does he? It's all about bluffing. My last landlord tried to get me to rewire the apartment in exchange for my full security deposit because he "knew I was good with tools." I told him I expected my full security deposit with interest and if not I'd be filing papers in the morning. I got the full deposit back but with no interest. I called him again and asked if he could fax me the bank statement, when he refused I again told him I would be filing papers in the morning (even though I really could have cared less about the 26 bucks or whatever it was and literally had no intention of ever taking him to court). Within 2 days he sent me another check for 10% of my deposit.

Give it a shot, the worst that can happen is you have to pay for that month. I'd at least try to get a few more bucks for your travels.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account