What books do you like

This into the wild thread got me thinking about books. I haven't read anything in awhile the last couple of books I got were a dissapointment. Just wondering what others like,why,and would you recomend it?

Re: What books do you like

War and Peace. I've read 2 translations of it, get the version by Ann Dunnigan. The other translation I read had been badly anglofied. Seriously, Andeyevich = Andrew?

Hehe. This is such a nerd thing to say, but there is nothing worse than a bad Russian-to-English translation. Ruined a lot of Dostoyevsky for me. Fortunately, I lucked out on a couple good translations of Bulgakov and Solzhenitsyn. Love me some Russian lit.

Speaking of Russians and current reads, I'm right in the middle of Ivan's War break>

Great if you're into trying to understand the present foundation of Russian culture. Or if you're into the Red Army. Or military stuff.

book

read

huh

that's why Lolita is great, written by a Russian in english.

I've said for years, that the little prince should be required reading for human beings.

It's ironic that you would ask, 'CaptainNemo', because lately I've been working my way through all the Verne works.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Check it.

hatchet. or david sedaris...

ain't i deep?

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

I listened to David Sedaris read his "I like guys" story on This American Life today and i laughed till it hurt.

Lately, I've been slowly working my way through Moby Dick, for light reading I've been reading A.J. Jacobs' _The Year of Living Biblically_. For sociopolitical overanalysis I've been ruminating on Carlo Collodi's _Pinocchio_.

§ćŗάτçλmªřċ • /

Sedaris' stuff about being an elf at the mall for xmas was an entertaining listen (on that same NPR show) while i was driving to VA, i haven't read his stuff but i'm sure it's good, too.

used to read voraciously when i was a lad and younger man, but have let that slide past few years. i do remember Dostoyevsky translated by... Garnet (?) being very compelling, "The Idiot" especially.

some author names that come to mind: Gunter Grass, Hermann Hesse, Aldous Huxley, Flannery O'Connor, Gabriel Garcia Marquez... Tolkien, uh, Vonnegut... oh yeah, Salinger... that's all i can think of for now.

~marc

I defiantly like the classics. Right now im rereading Zen and the Art of motorcycle Maintenance. One of my favorite books of all time.

odds are good if you're into the lifestyle associated with moped rallies, and you're also the type that can endure the aimless ramblings of this forum; you would really enjoy Jack Kerouac.

If you're a big lit. snob and you wanna feel like one, read some Thomas Pynchon. _Gravity's Rainbow_ is probably a good introduction but _V_ is amazing.

The last book I've read is Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis. When he wants he can be a very twisted and messed up author, but in a good way. He is mostly known for graphic novels, I guess he has done a lot for X-men and some others. This isn't a graphic, I'm not really into too many of those. Great book nonetheless.

for comic books i can never get enough of Walt Kelly, Alan Moore, Dave Sim, Jeff Smith, Mark Millar, or Jeph Loeb.

R. Crumb and

Zap Comix

Crumb _and_ Zap Comix? ugh. way to cite a great cartoonist for all the wrong reasons.

I was going to add to the list until someone mentioned graphic novels. :P

ha. whatevz dudette, Watchmen is a bazillion times better than half the shit they make us read in college.

Spartafoxilover /

Stephen king baby aint nothing like getting the shit scared outta ya by one of his books

You mean hooked on phonics don't ya sparta :)

My top must reads that I can think of right now:

The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees!)

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien (Hobbits and wizards and orks, oh my!)

Illusions by Richard Bach (Everything is as we imagine it.)

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut (His 40th birthday present to himself.)

Bastard out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (Almost too real.)

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (and they endured.)

CaptainNemo /

Anyone ever read Journey to the end of the night by Ferdinand Celine. Very pessemisitic but a great book?

20,000 Leagues is an instant classic

Spartafoxilover /

nope I mean stephen fucking king you inbred little cockmuncher

nate,

please

All of Vonnegut's works. (I've read Welcome to the Monkey House, at least ten times We debated "Harrison Bergeron" to death in school)

"Desert Solitaire" by Edward Abbey

"The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury

"The Art of Living" a collection of Epictitus's teachings.

"The Mote in God's Eye" and its sequel "The Gripping Hand" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

and a lot of non-fiction, lately,

"Back To Basics - A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills" edited by Abigail R. Gehring

"On The Road" with Charles Kuralt

"And So It Goes" by Linda Ellerbee

"The Hero and the Blues" by Albert Murray

I definitely consider the graphic novel as literature. I have definitely had to come to the defence of Watchmen as an epic piece of contemporary political and social criticism on more than one occasion. Maus by Art Spiegelman? Probably the most accessible and comprehensive account above all other accounts of the Holocaust.

"The Best Loved Poems of James Whitcomb Riley"

no groms no blasters /

how to cook for forty humans

I love novels but honestly by favorite medium might be short stories. If anyone wants to check out a great collection of short stories that's witty and quirky, try "My Date With Satan" by Stacy Richter.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account