Moped Speed

I noticed the moped speed poll indicated about 27 percent go between 40 and 55 MPH. I am interested in what mopeds and how they are modified to achieve those speeds. I currently have a Tomos Sprint which will do about 33 MPH. I have been looking at a KYMCO scooter lately. Not sure what to buy. I might be interested in something that I can modify without too much expense.

Harold

Re: Moped Speed

waynebroderick /

Easiest way to boost power is with a bi-turbo. I've been told engine mods can cause a lot of trouble (excess wear and tear...)

I put a Bi-turbo on my targa and it kicks ass.

What is a Bi-turbo? Where do I get one? How much do they cost? And if my Tomos Sprint goes 33 MPH now, how fast will it go with the Bi-turbo?

waynebroderick /

A bi-turbo is a performance exhaust. Costa about 100$.

Like 4 bolts to install, you'll need to buy a new kickstand too. (The center mounted gets in the way of the pipe.

It's a HUGE pipe, when you see it on the moped-- chrome, with gold baffle on the end.

I have a lot of gear on my ped, (stereo, air horns, prototype rear defense system).

I saw my targa go from the shy side of thirty to "buried" on slight downhills. That's got to be like 45 or 50.

on level ground, I think it will hit 40-45. That's with a LOT of gear, and I'm not exactly light. I figure between me and my gear it's about 250 pounds. I betcha some skinny kid with no gear would hit 50 easy.

I was told that I wouldn't need to upgrade the carb, because my bike was so new (2000 targa). I read in this forum that not upgrading the Carb could seize the piston due to too little oil flow. (Comments from the experts on Biturbo/Carb upgrade/piston lube, please!!) I'm not sure how you can determine if you'll need one or not.

There are lots of other ways, like jacking it up to 80cc, upgrading the carb, fine tuning....

I've had great service from Mark's Mopeds.

good luck!

SteelToad /

My 2000 Sprint would do 30-33 from the dealer, with a BiTurbo and 27 tooth

sprocket, it would do just about 40 (pushing) with the addition of the 70cc kit

it does just over 50 (55 with a tail wind)

the problem w/ the poll has to do w/ some people who may not have accurate speedometers. also, they may have been doing 40-55 KILOMETERS per hour. that's also a difference.

but ... w/ a bigger carburetor, modified exhaust, some other modifications (including an oversize piston kit) a moped could hit above 40 mph.

Well now I probably won't be doing anything with my Tomos Sprint. I just got a Kymco ZX 50 scooter and will be selling my Tomos. But thinks anyway the thought of squeezing more speed out of mopeds is very intriguing.

Harold

Is it possible to put a bi-turbo on a 1974 Batavus moped?

Thanks.

I have a 98 tomos targa lx. I weigh 160lbs. I can do 40 on a day with no wind, and with wind I hit 33-36 mph. The only problem I hate is the fact that it's an automatic, the fucker needs a clutch. It's great on hills and it will haul two people, It really is a good ped. My only compliant is the tires, they need bigger treads. I've put 400 miles on mine since i got it. How much would a bi-turbo increase speed on a targa lx anyway? I'm a bit curious. Later on~

Hey, Harold, Do you still have your Tomos Sprint for sale? Email me thanx

d

help i need to know if the biturbo exhaust they have for puch mopeds will fit my 1980 Puch MK II thanks

please let me know if the biturbo exhaust they have for puch mopeds will fit my 1980 puch MK II email knaper14@aol.com thanks

XBrandon EdgeX /

It WILL fit the Maxi, Maxi MKII, Newport, Newport II, Maxi Sport, Maxi Sport MKII, Kromag, Free Spirit, and a few others. It will NOT fit the Magnum (top tank motorcycle style puch) Magnum MKII, or the Maxi Luxe ( I don't think it fits the maxi luxe anyway). If yours is the step-thru style frame MKII, it should fit.

there are other performance exhaust manufacturers ... polini and leo vinci come to mind (i have a polini on my bianchi).

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account