performance puch

Mike Skinner /

I have a Puch Maxi K, and it does 30mph.

What are my options for adding parts to increase speed?

I don't really want to increase the engine capacity, as it'll annoy my insurance company and the police! - (I'm restricted to 50 cc while I'm 16). Could you tell me what the new expected speeds will be? I've seen the Biturbo and some other exhaust, but still unsure which will be best for the money. Will a new exhaust generally require a bigger carb? I heard this somewhere. - cheers.

Re: performance puch

Mike:

I have a 76' Puch Maxi and put a EuroKit on it (70cc, new carb, & biturbo). There is a big difference! The stock engine only had 160 mile (kilometers??) on it. It would run like a top, but it couldn't pull me (235#) or a girlfriend (120#) up some of the steep hills surrounding my town.It would max out 30-34 mph on level ground. However after the switch (jug,rings,piston,carb & biturbo) it will do 40-45 at three quarter throttle. (I won't open her up all the way until I get 300 miles on the new engine). Also it will pull the steep hills at 30-35. Right now I'm running a 4 to 1 mixture of gas (high test) to oil (synthetic - - I found this doesn't smoke). The only down side of this switch I've encountered is you burn a heck of a lot more gas than stock. Making all of the parts fit together is a bear (it takes a lot of "hey watch this"). Is it worth it?? You'll have to be the judge (the kit run around $300, you increase the displacement of the engine about 45% and you run 35-40% faster). Depending on state laws, above 50cc your ped suddently became a motorcycle (i.e., licenses(plates&special motorcycle lic) insurance($94/yr for me). Oh yeah, the 1st panic stop will be a pants cleaning experience, you should beef up your brakes. Good luck guy.

Hi,Rich! Be careful about running synthetic oil on break-in.You rings may take a long time to seat at that ratio of gas to oil.You'd really be better off to run regular 2-cycle oil until it's broken in,gradually increasing your ratio toward 40:1 and then after a couple hundred miles on the correct mix,go to synthetic if you wish.It's the same principle that car manufacturers use when they put a break-in type oil in your new car and then say change it at 1000 mi.Break-in oils let the rings seat properly and gives you more compression,gas mileage and durability.BYE!

I must be the exception. I saw Rich's exact same post somewhere else. (Word for word I think) Didya cut & paste Rich? :) I did get alloy mags to lighten my Puch and at the same time replaced the brake shoes. When I am topped out at ~40mph and grab them both I darn near get thrown over the handle bars and I have the heavier Magnum. How did you "beef up" your brakes Rich? You only have ~35 lbs on me unless you are talking about you and your girlfriend as the weight you are trying to slow down. 355lbs plus the moped if my math is right.

Nick

Thanks Don. I'll go back to regular 2 Cycle Oil.

Thanks Don. I'll go back to regular 2 Cycle Oil.

Nick:

Perhaps I was not as explicit as you are. First, only 1 person at a time can ride this ped. So, the stock engine on my PUCH maxi couldn't pull my lady friend up the hill nor could it pull me (separately) up the same hill. After putting a jug, piston, and carb on the ped it will pull either of us (separately) up the hill with mo problem.

Sorry about the misconception.

I never was any good in math, the dang stuff never did add up. As for cut & paste, I gave that up years ago in kindergarten, you know, back when computer were housed on several floors in big buildings. Also I think I "splained" this to you in my personal e-mail to your reply

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account