Derbi Predator tuning

I have Derbi Predator 50cc LC. It has been de-restricted and will do 45mph on the flat no probs. Thing is, if i start to go downhill it will acelerate to around 50mph, (which sounds a good thing) but then the engine starts to 'cough' and everything goes bad from there. I ease off the throttle and the 'coughing' stops, then wen i slow back down to around 40mph, i wind the throttle back on slowly and the engine starts to 'cough' again. Is there n e ting i can do to stop this, im not sure whether its a rev limiter or if to much air is gettin into the engine at this point, mayb both? n e suggestions would b much appriciated. :-)

Also id really like to c 60mph on the flat, and have sumthing like:

Powerpipe, K&N Filter, CDi unit (if the problem is caused by a rev limiter) and im gonna check my belt n clutch,n e problems with those n ill replace them <- i bought my skUtr second hand from an auction i dont think it was given loving attention b4 i got it :-(

so if n e one has n e tuning tips for Derbi Predators they would also b much appreciated

Thanx!

Re: Derbi Predator tuning

Luke Steggles /

You've got a race exhaust m8 but u could try to find a race can, also u need to check if its CDI ignition cos it might not b. If u get a power filter u need a carb that goes with it, like a kit. So ure looking at expensive stuff m8. What u got to ask your self is..... Is it worth the expense? I think your plenty fast enough

Re: Steggz

The speed is fine i know, the 60mph thing is not a must do. But When the engine starts to bounce and i have to slow right down that can cause problems while on the road, thats why i wonna sort it out, of course any extra top speed and/or acceleration would b nice though

Luke Steggles /

Well you have a rev counter don't you? When it bounces what is it reading? If you dont is the engine just revving so high its struggling? I think its just revvin out m8

No i dont have a rev counter m8. Showz how much attention u pay to my skUtr ;). Well I just been on it and it feels like its revving out or something so if thats the case ill so sumthing with the limiter, i.e take it out. But thats why i came on this reat forum to ask ppls advice. So far u gave me none ;). C ya soon m8.

Go to http://www.scooterbbs.com

Then go to the "Twist and Go" BBS.

The people on scooterbbs, know a hell of a lot more about scooters than people on this site. You should find your answer there, fairly quickly. If not I know a guy who owns a scooter shop and he sell and races Derbi's and knows pretty much everything about them. I could relay the information to him and see what he thinks...

Luke Steggles /

I dont pay much attention to ure scooter m8 i admit, but then again u embarass me by parking on my drive;-) No but if the engines revving out m8 it might not be limited, that might just b its limit, as in the red line area. Or the area where it melts ure piston

Re:

Ive now found taht there may b another restrictor, ane the 'coughing' is the engine trying to give out more power but cant. Ill check up on the rpm tho cos wen i put the performance parts on it i may also get a piston that can rev faster, more expernce but def worth it me thinx. If im gonna do the job im gonna do it right

Luke Evans /

Derbi dealers sell a large bore exhaust down pipe, that removes the exhast restrictor, which is your only restriction on this scoot. but better still, if you get a Metra Kit race pipe and a Malossi variator, then the performace will be much better still, i read that the predator LC is one of the fastest 50cc scoots there is, and can do 55-60mph just de restricted, with no further tuning.

Hey Smiffie,

With respect to the Derbi Predator, sounds like mine runs just like yours, 45mph on the flats and 50 with the wind up ur arse and thats about all she wrote... I just bought mine and it has just over 600Miles on it. Its mint. No way in hell this thing will go 60 mph in stock form. Thats a crock! I haven't put tool to mine at all yet but it seems to have a really flat spot right between 25 and 30mph. does yours do this as well? When I get above like 35 it picks right up and will easily go 45, but the problem is on hills or with a strong head wind sometimes it can't overcone this flat spot and just putters along at until ithe road flatens out...

Any input would be helpful, Cheers!

ive got a derbi predator and wen i used to get to around 40mph it used to bounce about all i done was took out the carberetor and cleand in thouraley it now does 50mph an a straight

Old thread here but I would be interested in any info people can share with me about a 1998 Derbi Predator I bought a month ago. What engine is this? Hi-per2?

> Harry Crank Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Old thread here but I would be interested in any info people can share

> with me about a 1998 Derbi Predator I bought a month ago. What engine is

> this? Hi-per2?

Does it have that weird ass PHVA clone Weber carb on it?

I would have to look but I think it does. I think its a Morini LC engine same a the AE Suzuki

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account