Ridiculous auction

Chris Robertson /

Hi guys:

Check out <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=591830375&r=0&t=0">this auction</a>. I suspect the mopeds are made of solid gold.

Chris.

Re: Ridiculous auction

Ha! Those peds are sweet, but NOT worth 2200. That's a horrible price. I wouldn't sell my damn kidneys for that much.

-

Hellcat Carrie /

At this point, I'd sell my kidney for half that. But not for these mopeds. He should have done some research as to how much these little guys are worth. Right now he's just wasting his time.

Wayne Broderick /

That's the tough part about E-bay-- If you don't set the bar really high, you might have to sell cheap.

To us, that's a lot of loot. To some guy who drives a new lexus, thats not much cabbage.

Mopeds are becoming chic- I can picture two uncool yuppies on retro mopeds they paid way too much for.

If they can afford gas for an SUV....?

remember Robocop the original movie? T

he 6000 SUX? That's what I always think of when I see SUV's

jess_monster /

I agree with the mopeds and rich people. In my little town in South Dakota the rich kids all go an buy a brand new scooter and think they are the shit because the can be beat my ghetto peds. It's ridiculous. My peds look much better and have way more style, much as I try, they don't understand the moped.

Don't let it bother you Jess Monster! You're having way more fun than the little rich boys! I'm sure they secretly envy you because they know you're happy. BYE!

yeah, and lots of those new mopeds are all plastic. i like the older ones myself (though the new avantis are soooo tempting ....). but never let other people define you. i love that i've learned how to fix my moped. it's an extension of me now. i used to own a razz and new nothing about machines or engines or anything. but now i love that i can troubleshoot my bianchi and fix most things (though i still need help for the tough stuff).

btw, i just emailed the seller ... told him that a guy in kzoo just bought the exact same moped (as is riding it around) for $100.

Man,Miguel,you're heartless! But you're right!

You can buy a brand new, Vespa scooter (very fancy) in Chicago for that price. There's no way anyone will bid on those mopeds....people balk at paying around $500 for a brand new Kinetic TFR.

Simon King /

also with ebay - does anyone know if it still costs to post in the "ebay motors" section instead of the regular ebay section? i have this feeling that peple are pricing up auctions from the start to offset that cost they have to pay to ebay.

i don't even really like the qt50's, let alone for that price. maybe after the auction ends i'll offer him $250 for the pair.

Heh, I've noticed there seems to be a certain class of rich people who have no idea what things are actually worth. They'll be trying to sell a cracked flowerpot at a rummage sale for $5 one day, and a month later they will throw away a good working color TV because 'nobody wants it.' I suppose the price can't be a typo? :P

There was actually a dirty sock up for auction on Ebay, and someone bought it for like 5 cents or so. I kid you not.

Hellcat Carrie /

Proof that you can sell practically anything if you advertise it right. Who knows, maybe this deluded moped auctioneer will actually find some sucker to take the overpriced mopeds off his hands. I doubt it, mind you, but all it takes is one sucker. And Ebay does have the advantage of offering up a wide range of things (well, mopeds), since you can shop from any area of the country. (although driving to new jersey for a new moped sucked.)

i think this person has no idea. they replied to me (and i emailed them very very politely, even suggesting how they could get maybe half of what they asked for) that they weren't mine so my opinion didn't count. oh well. you try to help some people ...

maybe some kid will get lucky and these people will just throw them away. but it also doesn't help their cause that the add clearly states that they reserve the right to end the auction at any time, since they're also putting out local classified adds. they've gone out of their way to look like assholes.

Chris Robertson /

What is really stupid about the auction is that if the seller even bothered to try searching for "<i>moped</i>" on EBay he'd get a good idea of what mopeds are worth.

Sure they're in great condition and have barely been used, but no one is going to lay out that kind of dough for them.

I especially like the part on the ad where it is implied that there is no reserve to make it an especially good deal. The seller has no sense of salesmanship whatsoever.

It would make more sense to:

1) Sell the mopeds individually, putting the second one up for sale after the first one has sold.

2) Start with a low asking price and if need be, set a high reserve price.

3) Realize that the value of a used moped does not work the same way as the value of a used car (i.e. low mileage means you can ask sticker price).

Chris.

Ah, yes: eBay (the "e" stands for "enigma"). I do a moped search almost every day just because I'm curious and IMHO, the prices are outrageous. But you know what? Many times, the winning bidder doesn't come up with the cash. I have followed quite a few auctions that ended up being won by a kid with a negative feedback rating. A few weeks later, the "winner" has another negative feedback on his record: The seller has been hosed by a 12-year-old kid who just lost his paper route and had his lunch money stolen.

But just like the stooge who thinks his aunt and uncle's QT's are worth $1100 apiece, there are a lot of sellers out there who aren't quite up to speed on the concept of selling something at auction. Reserve prices are for SISSIES. High starting bids are for SISSIES. If you don't want 'em, either auction them or put them in the local classifieds...one or the other. Doing both, like this guy did, is a nasty bit of extortion that really deserves a cold slap in the face. At least. But hey, the poor devil prolly has a boat payment that's past due or a boil on his ass that needs lancing, or some other god-awful situation that's pushed him to the absolute brink of desparation. Well, screw him.

It has been my experience that even well-moneyed yuppie types don't really like to overpay, so when this auction ends with zero bids, Mr. Capt.Rye will be sitting alone in the Oregon wilderness with a couple mopeds that nobody wants. It's gonna SUCK to be him, ain't it?

Other than that, I don't have much of an opinion about it.

maybe someone should email him/her and offer $100 per moped or something reasonable. it might be the only offer they get ... and you might end up w/ a nice moped.

we had a person in town who wanted to sell a pair of puchs for $700. she didn't want to budge on the price and wouldn't sell them separeately. none of us would shell out that much money for two puchs (one needed extensive work). after about two months ... she's become more reasonable.

to be fair, it does the qt50s no good to sit when someone could be riding them and enjoying them. and even a few hundred $$ is better than nothing for the seller. some people just don't understand capitalism ...

Chris Robertson /

If your item doesn't sell, EBay will let you relist for free (or at least they used to).

When the auction runs out, expect to see these mopeds listed again at a lower price (maybe $2000 this time? --yeesh!).

Judging by the starting bid on this auction, the seller will probably take about four auctions before he starts asking a reasonable price, or gives up and tells his friends that it is impossible to sell mopeds.

Chris.

Reeperette /

Actual Kelly Blue Book Value for a 1981 Yamaha QT50 "Yamahopper"

Trade-in-value, Max $195.00

Suggested Retail/Resell, Max $420.00

An honest price would be $800 for the pair, with a reserve of $600

He's just being a jerk, really - and should have looked up and applied those values himself, had he any sense at all.

-Ree

mikey sparks /

Uhh, am I the only that noticed the text stating "The $Price$ on this auction is incorrect contact me for info on seeling Price"

yeah ... they want a higher ceiling price ... the thousands they want is for an opening bid ... they have their reserve set even higher ... they're totally insane.

Chris Robertson /

I think the seller changed the text of the ad. I believe you can do that up until the first bid is placed.

The seller has probably realized that no one is going to bid on his mopeds (13 hours to go), and that the message Miguel sent his was right.

Chris.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account