Who has the fastest Puch !

I have a puch maxi and i`m wondering how fast people on this board are. I have a 70 cc kit and pipe and other mods and i am starting to tune my bike. I had a 50 mph maxi years ago and with the lastest parts i would think you could go a little faster. I am looking for combinations like what i have so if you post give a run down of your mods and gearing . Laz

Re: Who has the fastest Puch !

I totally re did my puch over the winter... And right now I have 70cc eurocylindro with a speed crank 15mm amal carb and Proma circuit exhaust. But right now I am having problems with the clutch so i cannot run it yet

I have a 77' Puch Maxi but its pretty much stock, the only thing i changed is the sprockets 18/36....it goes like 32 but who cares..theres this 80 Puch Maxi on mopedsonlnine.com it has a top speed of 65-68mph!!..and it lists some of the modifications done to it

heres the link

http://www.mopedsonline.com/m-o-l/photos/gallery1.htm

Lazaro Velunza /

Hey thank`s guys, i had a 1.5hp 1980 maxi that went 26 stock. I ported the cylinder milled the head and installed a used proto pipe after those mods it would go 34 maybe 36 mph . I had a kit installed with a 19mm dellorto and it went 45 with the stock 14-45 gearing. I have been working on my latest 77 maxi and want to get it going before i gear it . I was thinking about 18 36 but i remember hating the take off when i tryed it years ago .

Tab Patterson /

I had a 50+mph Magnum 1 speed, but I pulled the engine for another project. My stock Maxi-Luxe will pull to around 30 and peak at 35 with a bike speedo on it. The Magnum with the stock 2-speed will run comfortably (and quietly) at 33 all day long.

Lazaro Velunza /

Tabpat what mods do you have on the 1 speed magnum that goes 50+ . I would like too know how you like the 2 speed puch vs. the 1 speed as far as rideability and take off power .

Tab Patterson /

Mine was built by Chris at MWH. It has the Polini kit on it, race crank and bearings and Proma circuit. 15mm BING. Geared at 18/40 it was weak on pulling until about 20mph, then it ran and ran. I'm 220 pounds, though and the Magnum is heavy. I'm sure it could go faster, but I was running it 1 jet too rich to prevent blowing it up. Mitch Farley can tell you about how it ran.

The 2 speed is slightly stronger on pulling than the 1 speed when stock. It's not nearly as reliable and harder to make parts fit to if it has oil injection. Best left as stock.

Luke Evans /

aye

i have a puch m3 sports moped (built before the restriction laws) not bad 35mph an a gradient to my advantage bout 30 on the flat but the best thing about it is the 3 gears id neva go back to a single speed

Jeffrey Strichart /

My friends and I all made very fast mopeds back in the late 70s/early 80s. What we did was drill out the ports as big as we could, bore out the intake manifold and carburetor as big as we could (although I put a YZ80 carb on my Negrini), put in the biggest jet we could get, cut the piston so it would clear the new larger port, remove the air filter, remove the exhaust pipe entirely (more on that later) and of course we changed the gearing to whatever sprockets we could find. You must remember that there were NO performance parts back then and I mean NONE. We worked with what we had. No kits, they were all 50cc. That is all we did. We did not even know that they had timing to adjust! I would adjust the points to start opening a hair earlier than tdc. Now about the pipe. After a while somebody started to make a chamber pipe called a Proto Pipe. It was a slip on but we used to cut the exhaust manifold about halfway under the engine and clamp it there so the chamber was upswept. It exited around the seat height and looked cool as hell. Now the moment you have all been waiting for. These were all verified numerous times. I had a Negrini. They are vastly underrated. The frame and suspension were vastly superior the the Maxi's. I was clocked at 58. My friend Howard had first gen one speed Newport. I clocked him at 65 more than once. My friend Richard's Maxi looked bone stock but exceeded 60. Another friend Dirty Donnie claimed 70 but was never verified. All told at least ten of us went 55-65 and we rode in packs and passed cars. Of course off the line they were slow with those gears but the power helped once you started moving. All of this is true.

This is why I do not understand why, with all of the performance parts available today, we have mopeds that have been tricked out not even reaching what we used to get to. Of course some are but with WAY more performance that we could only dream of.

PS I just picked up a clean 1978 Maxi 1,5 and am in the process of making it go as fast as I can get it to so you will probably see me around here. And I want to thank you all for the huge amount of information that you put up. It is very helpful!

Mine is a 1980 Puch Maxi e50 with 70cc Kstar, boss pipe, 15mm Bing, 16/42 gearing. Does a solid 50 mph

74mph is about the fastest puch in the states.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 74mph is about the fastest puch in the states.

That seems slow! I can hit 60mph with barly even trying, I can hit 50 trying the mess up. I feel like with 74cc kit And not much work I could touch that 74..that being said I hope for 80mph.

Really 74mph?

> Rocco Taco Wrote:

> > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > 74mph is about the fastest puch in the states.

>

> That seems slow! I can hit 60mph with barly even trying, I can hit 50

> trying the mess up. I feel like with 74cc kit And not much work I could

> touch that 74..that being said I hope for 80mph.

>

> Really 74mph?

no you are not going 80.

im pretty sure eric holds the currently operational record at 72 on a maxi

Hahah what is operational? That thing can’t keep a clutch together. I’m happy with a 50/50 that works all the time and I don’t have to worry about blowing it up.

> alex . Wrote:

> > Rocco Taco Wrote:

>

>

> > > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > 74mph is about the fastest puch in the states.

>

> >

>

> > That seems slow! I can hit 60mph with barly even trying, I can hit 50

>

> > trying the mess up. I feel like with 74cc kit And not much work I

> could

>

> > touch that 74..that being said I hope for 80mph.

>

> >

>

> > Really 74mph?

>

> no you are not going 80.

>

> im pretty sure eric holds the currently operational record at 72 on a

> maxi

okay im not going 80. soo negative! i hope you don't talk yourself down. Ur a very talented young man alex

^^ this makes way more sense, these bikes were never designed to go that fast, just 'because you can, does not mean you should, to build a moped to go 70 costs far more than buying a bike capable of it stock. (edited)

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> Hahah what is operational? That thing can’t keep a clutch together. I’m

> happy with a 50/50 that works all the time and I don’t have to worry

> about blowing it up.

he finished our 70 mile rally ride. but i think that was also a personal record for that bike

> alex . Wrote:

> > Daniel '' Wrote:

>

>

> > Hahah what is operational? That thing can’t keep a clutch together.

> I’m

>

> > happy with a 50/50 that works all the time and I don’t have to worry

>

> > about blowing it up.

>

> he finished our 70 mile rally ride. but i think that was also a

> personal record for that bike

Hahaha I think right around 125mi on a clutch has been my personal best.

I have thought about throwing a ported stock kit on the bike so I can enjoy it more. It is fun to go super fast but you constantly breaking something. Hoping one day I’ll have a clutch solution I can enjoy.

I am pretty sure I destroyed my clutch on the Friday night ride in Detroit. Took it easy Saturday and still broke a spring 2 blocks from the end..... so ya I would say 50-100mi has been average on clutches with my worst being 2 blocks.

Moral of the story mild ripper is the way to go!

84B030E1-65DA-4475-9C9F-2DFB5EFA80E2.jpeg

Turquoise maxi does mid 50’s on a stock modded magnum pipe. Magnum did mod 60’s first time I built it but I sold it and bought it back and re-did it with powerdynamo and not a curved ignition as it had before. Still think it touches 60 but I don’t really gps them cuz I know there at least the fastest around, and I honestly don’t care. Just keep em running well. Both are reliable.

Probably Fred /

The Polini and Gila kit magnum and maxi bikes I have can low 60s mph easy with big pipe, higher rpm setup but I set them up to go slower 55-60 mph basically all were built/setup 11-12 or longer years ago,

I also had a mild rpm build small port metra 80, 19mm PHBG maxi that did 57mph that ran great for several years before I sold the bike,

All engines have original stock asbestos clutches (some with springs/mods done to them) pretty much (well I’ve changed a few), stock bells and gears inside and of course all engines have maintenance done to them,

Power Down Low and a Low RPM cap/limit you can still have a reasonably fast but very reliable bike, just 5-7 miles slower with around 1,500-2,000 less rpm increases the life dramatically on a puch engine and no extra expensive parts needed like HPI, straight cut gears, super clutches, special clutch bells, pull starts etc.

When I feel like having a speed run I’ll take the estoril/low rpm pipes off and put on a Motomatic, MLM pipe or other big pipe on (needle crank engines only), do a bit of tuning and go for a speed run:

134254C4-EA46-4602-9187-70BF0836C5D7.jpeg

But when I do go for a fast 10 mi run It feels like something wants to blow/is ready to blow, though it don’t,

6AB0D2DE-4E78-4FDF-8AD4-641AB556903C.jpeg

This maxi could spin a 40mph speedometer all the way around to zero on a stock 14 bing and air box. In 10 years I only changed the plug and transmission fluid 5 times. It became too fast for me so I sold it.

Probably Fred /

> Boot 2Thehead Wrote:

> >

image.jpeg

> This maxi could spin a 40mph speedometer all the way around to zero on a

> stock 14 bing and air box. In 10 years I only changed the plug and

> transmission fluid 5 times. It became too fast for me so I sold it.

I know that bike!

Ike from Ike's Bikes built it,

He was a good dude, good seller, and good moped mechanic !

Shame he died too young !

dan henkleman /

This dud Is pretty fast.

>>>taykoff [s2m] /

> TA Rolyat Wrote:

> This dud Is pretty fast.

That is Matt, MBM Customs, of Safety Second Mopeds in the first speed run. The second speed run melted the Teflon from the stuffed crank, it was awesome. We ended up putting that kit over a camp fire to melt the Teflon and scraped it off with a stick. He rebuilt the bottom end, installed that same Gila kit, and had 'Spike' do Speed Run 3, documented here:

Speed Run 3 74/74 club 77.6 mph

He has done several rallies and rides since Speed Run 3. That magnum and setup is still eating mopeds and vans alive on the streets.

Much appreciation for those that are pushing the limits on these toy motos. I believe Maize and Eric have also have documented runs over 70mph; fucking fantastic!

Mopeds first, Safety Second... (edited)

Roffman the new owner also has a black maxi with za50 that you sold to Dr. Matt. He’s now got 2 really fast maxis. Yes it’s ikes bike.

every time i get a moped over 50, i start wanting to put better forks and brakes and stuff on it and it just turns from a fast moped into a slow motorcycle....

give me 45 with good accel and i'm happy.

^ yeah this, all i build now is pretty basic ass reliable kitted bikes. low 50's with spotless reliability and dubs torque and i'm happy.

i think west seattle ryan was up there back in the day, 70's. maize was in the 70's with a polini. most of the true blasters don't post on MA because they are busy building fast mopeds. haha.

Fastest maxi on the east coast belongs to Onell in Orlando. Swapped hands through Human Steve from the Human Beans.

70 is slow! I’m sorry but I can hit definitely build a 70mph with all treats parts and I’m not the brights bulb on the shelf. I’m think more like high 80s for a pro tunner.

I’m so confused right now. Wow I expected way higher numbers.

Y’all Ever get out the the country side?

70mph? Your sure about this?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account