add a battery??

I'm thinking of adding a 6v battery to act as a voltage regulator for the lights to my Batavus HS-50. I could splice into the main 6v output from the generator but I don't want to cause a back feed into the generator and burn out a coil. I guess a simple diode would help. Any others done this before????

Richard

Re: add a battery??

Yes I am doing something like this right now. But I am hocking the lights up to a new seperate wirering system. I am now just using the coil to power the spark plug and not the lights as well. I have a 7 volt battery on the ped that powers only the lights. I found that if I used the motor to power my lights the engine would not run as good, and also when you slowed down the lights would dim. So I would say you should just use a new circut for the lighting system....

Hi,Richard! I'm very interested in doing the same thing to my 'peds and being myself(very lazy) I surely do hope somebody will give us the answer.It would be a great asset at traffic lights.Let's hope !!

I have given this a little (very little) more thought and I think that if I wire it in in parallel with the lights it 'should' act as a capacitor which would regulate the voltage as well as power the lights. The critical part is the capacity of the battery as too high will overload the generator and too low won't be of any use. I'm thinking a 6V 1000 - 1500mah battery should do fine.

Richard

I found a very simple way to get consistant lights for my Motobecane. Go to Wal-Mart and buy two (or one if you're lazy/cheap. But in that case, why bother?) of those bike lights powered by 2 C batteries. Works great. Save money + the planet and use Ni-Cd's. Just charge those every few days.

Hi,Guys! I've been thinking about this a little and I think I might just go with a double-pole switch,so that it totally separates the battery from the charging coil.I'm a little worried about backfeeding amperage into the charging coil.I ride a lot at night,and I wouldn't want to damage the lights I've got.This way if you're going to have to run at a slow speed or idle for an extended period you just flip the switch and you've got a bright set of lights.When you park the bike later ,just plug a trickle charger into the battery.I'd rather do it Richard's way but I'm unsure of myself.If it works ,Richard,let me know.O.K.?

Ron Brown /

Hey guys,

Moet peds w/o batteries use ac power for the lights. The lights don't care but a battery sure as hell would.

You can do this, and given the relatively low output of a ped's alternator, you most likely do not need a regulator. The alternator will not burn out, my Motobecane shorts mine to ground when not being used.

Find a book on simple charging circuits and a reasonable VOM and learn how to use it before you start.

Ron

Hi Richard,

This can be done. A zener diode of 6 volts is what you need. I will have to draw up a diagram of the circuit and send it to you. You use the brake light coil to charge your battery because that coil isn't doing anything most of the time while you are ridding. The way I have the system set up is that you switch between the battery or your regular system to power your headlight and tail light. During daylight ridding you are charging your battery and then at night if you are doing a lot of stop and go driving you can switch over to the battery to give you a constant headlight. Nothing more annoying then pulling up to a stop sign and having the lights go out on ya.

If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough.

Brian

Lamborn's Miniature Engines

Hey Ron,

I'm not sure if my Batavus produces AC or DC. I've got a great meter, so I'll check it out BEFORE I hook anything up. I was thinking that if it is AC I'll just add a simple full wave rectifier circuit with a small capacitor to filter the DC wave a bit. If I get the resistor right I should be able to limit the charge to the battery to around 50mah. This will trickle charge the battery and still leave enough juice for the lights and engine. As for as I can tell, my moped doesn't have a brake light specifically. Head and tails lights yes. But no light comes on or gets brighter when I hit the brakes. I can get a 2000mah 6V battery at the local hardware store for about $25 and I've already got all I need to build the charging circuit and to etch the board so I don't expect to spend more than $30 to get the whole thing up and running.

Richard

Richard,

Your Bat. should have a brakelight. Take the lens cover off the taillight and you will see two lightbulbs. A grey wire goes to the 6V 5W taillight bulb and a green/yellow wire goes to the 6V 10W brakelight bulb. Maybe your bulb is burnt out.

Brian

http://www.geocities.com/miniengine

Ron Brown /

Brian,

If you get around to drawing that diagram, I would like to see a copy.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron Brown /

Richard,

From Brian's post, I gather that your ped has two searate alternator coils, like my Motobecane.

If one end of each of these coils is grounded, as mine are, then you can only use a half wave rectifier and depending on the phasing of the two coils, perhaps only one of them. Given these restrictions, Brian's idea of charging with the brake lamp coil and switching to battery at night makes some sense. Ask him for the schematic and check it out.

Ron

Brian,

Nope. Just one 4W bulb with two filaments. Works fine though. Had it out and hooked it up to a 6V flashlight cell. Apparently this sucker only has head and tail lights. No specific brake light. I've got the original manual and wiring diagrams and they don't show any more than that.

Richard

Brakelight

What year of Batavus do you have? This is a new breed of animal for me and has me curious. My 76 Bat. VA and 77 Bat. HS-50 both have the same Bosch ignition system. Serves me right for assuming all Bats are the same. I'll try to get the wiring diagram posted on my web site this weekend, but it probably will need some modifications for your moped.

Right now I'm in the middle of modifying the rear wheel hub from the cup and cone bearings to sealed bearings. I'm taking pictues as I go and will have this modification on the web site also. Almost every rear wheel I've been able to locate has shown signs of the bad bearings on the drive sprocket side of the rear wheel. Wish me luck as I try to invent a better mouse trap.

Brian

http://www.geocities.com/miniengine

Hi! Would you please send me one also? Thanks!

Re: Brakelight

Hi,Brian! I just rebuilt the wheel bearings on my bike(it had the ball bearings with no retainer)and though I think the sealed bearings are o.k.,I think the open type will work fine if you replace the bearing races and use Molybdenum wheel bearing grease.If you replace them with sealed bearings ,you should also replace the main bolt and the spacing washers and grease them pretty well also but not enough where it could get into your brake drum.Remember too,that dirt is the enemy and water is the enemy,and you should get that hub clean of all grit before assembly.BYE!

Ron Brown /

Richard,

I am as confused as Brian. If your bulb has two fillaments, then I assume the base of the bulb has two connections. Are both of these wires from the tail lamp socket tied together, lighting both filaments at once?

Ron

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account