Suzuki FA50/ a good soldier for mopes army?

Wanted an old school Puch or Tomos but came across a Suzuki FA50 for sale. 1300 miles and fresh out of storage with cleaned carb, all lubed up and ready to go. Super clean condition......

Time to talk $$$ with the owner.....

What's it worth Moped Army regulars.....

Regards, Hugh

Re: Suzuki FA50/ a good soldier for mopes army?

I sold a 9/10 condition FA50 in Michigan for $240.

It's not worth that.

They are very slow bikes that are a pain in the ass / expensive to make go any faster.

PROs:

1. Reliable

2. Compact

3. Extremely smooth running

4. Awesome luggage rack

5. good oil injection

6. Good seat (the foam is very dense)

CONs:

1. Dead end for performance (get used to 25-30mph)

2. No Pedals

3. Unstable handling (kinda fun though)

4. Parts can be tough to get

Not a bad bike at all, if you plan to keep it stock. If you are a larger person, you'll find it to be uncomfortable, I think. The foot pegs are very flimsy, and the rear wheel bares most of the load so be gentle with it. Make sure it's complete as parts for it are expensive.

nice name...

Heywood Jablome /

sorry, different computer, i was out of character!

Hugh Jasshole /

Thanks for the detailed response Wiffle, its appreciated. What do you think a minty 1983 FA50 is worth??? -Hugh

zeke-bule gila /

good reliable , decent speed , good mpg , light , nice rack, and an oil injection that never fails, and no one likes them so they go for dirt cheap.

cons short wheel base +light = unstable. and they have a gas tank the size of a pea , the carb is in he worst place ever. and not many people like them so only 10 bikes have been tuned up. 14 inch tires and gearing is hard to change.

as for parts idk wtf u guys are on about. performance parts well here is a list of kits and setups u can do

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/957200/957200/

granted they are harder than puch but come on what isn't.

every stock part can be found at <bikebandit.com>

zeke-bule gila /

bikebandit.com didn't show up it's a motorcycle store with all motorbike parts made currently

yeah man, FA50's are fun little bikes. I had one for 3 or 4 years. Parts aren't that hard to get, they are just a bit expensive, and as Zeke put it, there are some upgrades for it. Sparse would be an understatement though.

I had mine going 30-25 stock. That was about that fastest I've ever seen one go that wasn't upgraded at all.

I sold mine for $150

Have heard good things about them, hard to kill among them, always a good thing! About the size of a QT-50, if you are a bigger guy it might not be real comfortable for long rides. 30mph is about all the faster I would want to go on something of that size, but that is just me.

Hugh Jasshole /

Thanks for the input everybody. It's purpose is a neighborhood cruiser and fun old school ride. Mods are not in its future. I struck the deal over the phone and will post pics when I pick it up tomm.........

Moped Army is a good forum, I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

- Hugh

Can't wait to see it!

Always good to see another FA50 rider around here.

ɯɐpɐ ʞunʞs /

I owned one as a loaner bike. Got it complete and clean for $100, fixed a flat rear tube, and that was it. Never had an issue, lent it out to friends who wanted to ride with us. Sold it when I had to move, otherwise I'd still have it around for a loaner.

I like mine, of course I scored it for free which sweetens the deal but it runs good and it's easy to work on.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account