New at this

I'm going to be buying a moped for the spring/summer and I am thinking about going with a 1977 Motobecane, I'm not sure if its a 50V or a 50L (its one of the two). What are your thoughts on this model? I'm new at this!

Re: New at this

Not a good moped for new riders.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/First_moped

Recovering gas-a-holic /

^What he said, e50 puch fun times to come for sure.

That's debatable really... it's not a "not good" bike, but like any moped it WILL break down, and you will have to learn to fix it yourself. French bikes have a reputation of being more fussy than other bikes, but any bike will treat you right if you treat it right and keep it maintained.

The guy warned me that motobecane's are tricky to work on, but told me that the one he is selling was his "commuter bike" and is in good condition. My two brothers are Puch owners who I'm sure could lend me a hand if needed. I've heard good things about Motobecane's...but not sure if I should go ahead with the purchase just yet!

It does get tiring reading anti-Moby stuff. Don't buy a ratty bike that lived outside. That goes for any brand.

buy it anyway, even if it turns out to be a backburner project. A good brother would loan you a Puch while it gets checked out. Last summer, I arrived 10 minutes too late to get a $40 Motobecane that was posted on Craigslist for about 3 hours. I saw it in the back of a pickup driving away, so all I know about it was that it was yellow. It still haunts me.

Buy it! They're beautiful bikes. 50L isn't hard to convert to 50V either.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account