How does PayPal Work?

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

So I am about to buy some parts off a dude in the buy/sell forum. I was wondering if someone can fill me in on how paypal works.

The seller wants me to send the money via a "personal" money transfer because it costs him extra if you send money via the "purchase". Is that a bad idea? I can't tell if I would have any recourse if the seller "forgets"

I've seen too many people get ripped off on this site so I am understandably a bit weary.

Re: How does PayPal Work?

Don't send as a gift or personal unless you personally know the seller. Too many shady sellers ask for money that way and you have no recourse. If they throw a fit, pay the extra 2% or what ever the fee is, and consider it insurance that they do what they are supposed to.

That would be the _responsible_ thing to do. huh?

Thanks

search the forums for the dude's name and forum name and see what comes up. Not everyone on here is a scammer.... just Josh Hickman and Dave C. in South Dakota.

or throw his name up in this thread and see if anyone will vouche for him. Even if you're gonna send $$ as a purchase, you might do some research on the seller. Or, learn the hard way. Don't automatically assume that paypal will have your back...you may get all your money back or just some or none. Having to deal with an irresponsible seller is a pain even with paypal's guarantee.

I don't use pay-pal, so cant't help you there, but a Postal money order is a god bet, cashable at any US post office, those have worked for me. I have had very good luck buying from people on MA. Way more good than bad. I did this once as well, had a guy call me at work, gave me his visa # ran it on the credit card machine, then took the amount from the till, (with my boss's permission and recipts provided.) Then mailed the parts. Where there is a will there is a way. If all else fails see if you can find the parts locally, then you can just pay cash!

Well I know the dude is pretty legit. He is a actual member of an MA branch. So I know it aint that darn taco kid.

It figures that we see a really nice week of weather in February, in Minnesota, and I have my moped in a million pieces. Boo!

Yeah, I pulled apart my sebring on Sunday to fix my tail light, and then sheared my clutch cable. Luckily I had spares, but I lost the whole day too.

I got my case in half, replacing my e50 bearings tonight. So as you would guess my moped, shes a mess.

Check "For Goods"

use this; http://www.rolbe.com/paypal.htm

enter the final amount in paypal.

Write in the box at the bottom what the payment is for.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account