I want my ped registered as a motorcycle! how?

Short story, I'm in california and I want my bike registered as a motorcycle so I can't be messed with. Like the rest of the people here I'm obviously not doing only 30mph, my bike is far from stock, lacks pedals, and stands out like a sore thumb. I just don't want my bike impounded by a cop just doing his job.

Long story, my bike was never a moped to begin with, it's a qt50. The day after I bought it I went to the dmv with every intention of registering as a motorcycle(scooter) only to take the motorcycle test and not the moped test, have my bike inspected like they would a motorcycle only to have the lady type away on her computer for what seemed like forever and tell me that she can't register it as a motorcycle because it was originally registered as a moped. Maybe that my bike was mistakenly originally registered as a moped may or may not help my situation idk. What do I do? Who do I talk to? Who do I have to pay off?

Re: I want my ped registered as a motorcycle! how?

I don't have an answer for you, but would love to see your bike!

I've been keeping up with your build. Look's crazy nice man, good work!

You'd think that if you explained that it's NOT a moped, they would work with you on it...you'd think. Good for you tho for trying to cover your ass.

I dont know Calis Laws but just Get your MC endorsement and get Insured and wear a helmet.? Then you are well covered.

Totally normal JBOT /

If you go to the DMV and ask to speak with a manager,

And tell them that the bike was originally misclassified

I bet they can change it's status...

Tell them a cop told you it wasn't considered a moped.

Has anyone here in CA got their moped impounded

for going over 30?

I could see impounding for no insurance or plates

And no license, but do cops really inforce the 30mph thing?

i just keep a doughnut handy and i give that to the cop with a wink and they leave me alone

I went to the DMV the other day to register my ped and they said that they don't even register them at the local offices anymore. You have to print out the forms online and mail them to sacramento. Maybe you can do that, but fill out the motorcycle forms instead.

You might take it down to the CHP office downtown. They should be able to sign off saying that it's not "qualified" to be a moped. The CHP is the one who is supposed to do all vehicle inspections...not the DMV.

According to DMV.org, for a custom built car you would need:

A completed Application for Title or Registration. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.pdf

A filled-out Statement of Construction. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg5036.pdf

Proof-of-ownership documents, like receipts and bills of sale. A motor vehicle bond will be required if proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued at $5,000 or more.

A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol. Make your DMV registration appointment before scheduling the CHP vehicle verification.

Official brake and light adjustment certificate, unless your custom vehicle is an off-highway vehicle or a trailer weighing less than 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.

A smog check certificate completed by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Station. Since custom-built cars do not have a year-of-origin designated by a manufacturer, they must be inspected by a BAR Referee Station instead of a regular smog check facility (call (800) 622-7733 for an appointment).

* Any and all titling, sales tax, and registration fees due.

I would assume the requirements for a custom motorcycle is the same....minus the smog check and the brake and light certificate. People register custom built motorcycles all the time. Maybe check a custom chopper forum.

I know my bike is a little off the wall but I don't want to go through a custom build type of registration.

Everything scrap said I'm planing on doing but all that wont stop a cop from impounding a noped when it's registered as a moped. My only other option is using a different neck from a different qt frame I have laying around(that came with a motorcycle plate)but that is just a pain to reweld everything dead straight.

hasn't anyone registered a moped as a motorcycle in cali?

I agree with Scrapmaster, have a motorcycle endorcement on your dl, have current plates, insurance. I would say that would cover you, but not familiar with Cali laws, also ride sane when cops are about, you were not planning to ride that on the highway were you? In MN a qt-50 is a moped. I have seen people get big scooters 150cc or 80cc, registered as mopeds but never the other way around. As long as you are all legal and insured I can't see you getting more than a speeding ticket. It is an interesting quandry, let us know how it works out. Best of luck!

BryAn eurism /

At Myrons I once heard the unfortunate tale of somebody that bought a Tomos that the original owner reg'd as a motorcycle. Think getting caught up on a plated ped is a headache? Having the ped plate on a mokick is like being the HS sophomore with the smoking hot teacher for a moll.

If the frame and engine # match what's on the paper that has the plate # why sweat it? If you ever did get rolled they can't argue the evidence. Only way a by-the-book cop is gonna leave you walking is if the bike is an obvious safety hazard: flames coming out of the gas tank or no brakes going downhill in the rain

I'm not a total anarchist but the idea of paying $80 every year for something you can't take on the freeway doesn't strike me as sound judgment. I don't mind doing it on my 1100 but why throw good $ away by calling it a mc when it can't do everything a mc does? It's a tax without a vote

If you stand by your principle you're going to have color inside the lines on one position or the other; jump through the same hoops that Jesse James and other builders do, ie CHP inspect, CARB approval and possibly some homologation criteria. Or just live with it being plated as a moped and don't go over 40

I didn't think of it that way. So you think even if I cut and hack the spare neck to it or get it straightened out at the dmv they are gonna call me out for being a "custom" and have me jump through all sorts of hoops?

You'll find yourself in even more trouble if you start moving vin info around from frame to frame. That's the sort of action that will get you introduced to your new boyfriend Bubba at the state pen.

If you are really concerned just do as Jbot suggested. If you leave it the way it is make sure to carry insurance - that shows the officer you've informed your insurance company as to what bike you have (in addition to the DMV), and that you are doing your best to be a stand up citizen.

Check with the dmv, qt-50 are mopeds almost everywhere, as long as numbers match title and you have the correct moped plate I don't see how they could impound your bike, just ride sane, and if you don't I still say the worst you could get is a speeding ticket. Perhaps consult an attorney?

im actually condsidering doing the same thing with a few of my bikes. since mopeds have to follow all the same registration/insurance rules as motorcycles here anyway its not like thered be a disadvantage.

I still don't see the advantage to this, the bike is still a moped, granted a fast one, as long as you are insured and have a mc endorcement don't see the problem.

California is the worst state in the union for this stuff. The only way to legally do it is by following Trouter's post. If you don't follow the rules, you might lose your ped. Keep it registered as a qt50 ped and take your chances with the speeding tickets. As long as it is registered as a qt50 and has the original engine and frame marking as was registered you will be ok.

Larry H BARKER advice

COP: What is this?!

You 1st Reply: Ah it's a moped that I'm fixing up for my Nephew.

He can't afford a car so I thought a little moped would be cool for him.

COP: You know you were going to XX fast? This is considered a motorcycle.

You 2nd Reply: Yes I am jumping through the hoops at the DMV to get the final paper work done.

-Honest... I'm not a Lawyer

Let us know. A license to ride 50+ relieves a burden. I'd rather merely worry that my shit will break down than worry that I could piss off a cop too.

I wouldn't think that you would have to go thru everything that trouter said although that is certainly an option. I suggest the following:

1. remove the pedals

2. remove the license plate

3. go to the DMV and get a one day permit to move for the purposes of inspection

4. take it to the DMV and have it inspected. Make sure that the inspector marks that it is a "motor-driven cycle" and not a "motorized bicycle"

5. take the paperwork that they give you inside and get it registered as a "motor-driven cycle

Then you can put the pedals back on if you want to.

A good place to start is probably by finding out what all of the requirements are for a motorcycle to pass registration inspection, because A) you need them, and B) if your bike has all of those then is should no longer qualify as a moped anyway. My experience with the DMV is that you have to keep dealing with different people until you find someone that knows what's what, whether that means asking to talk to a supervisor or just going to different branches. Here in Boston, if you go to the DMV (we call them RMVs) in Chinatown they'll tell you that you need a bill of sale, the previous owners registration, and that you have to pay excise tax on the sale price in order to register (those last two bits aren't written anywhere, btw). If you go to the one in Watertown you show them the bill of sale, give them 40 bucks, and they give you a sticker (which is all it says is required).

Use just the vin tag dude .

The vin is stamped into the neck.

In california a qt50 is not a moped and never was. On the sticker on the neck it says motor driven cycle or whatever. Basically the classification for motorcycles under 150cc. As such I should have to register it as a motorcycle but still I wouldn't be allowed on a interstate or anywhere otherwise posted(freeways/highways). This is all cool with me. I just worry that my bike wont pass inspection but from what I saw from them inspecting it before all they checked was that the engine number matched the frame number. I don't have the engine from the other neck but as I understand it if it doesn't match they make sure the engine wasn't reported stolen and that's all. I shouldn't have to go to the brakes and lights place or the chp as the sticker on the neck says it was made to conform to those laws. Stuck between cops and california laws...... Did I ever tell you guys about the time the cop had me pulled over for riding my electric bike, almost put me in cuffs because he thought I was lying to him, read his little law book, got schooled and then acted like my best friend..... I just want to be legit.

@SF

The bike he has is the Yamaha equivalent of the Honda Express - that is to say it never had pedals. Think of it as a stick with an engine stapled on it.

The issue he is having is that it was at some point registered as a moped and he is concerned that since it is a _motor driven vehicle_ and not, strictly speaking in CA, a _moped_, that the man will eventually come along and relieve him of the burden of ownership.

Because the bike has been registered it is in the system - when he goes to the DMV, he has been informed, that he may not change the bike's classification. This is untrue and Jbot explained many posts above how to go about re-classifing the bike.

@Mark - it is classified as a _Motor Driven Vehicle_ in CA.

@Nash, and folks with similar posts

There is a huge advantage to keeping it registered as a moped. In CA a moped may be parked on the sidewalk (much easier to lock up) - a motorcycle may not. In CA a moped may ride in the bike lane, a motorcycle may not.

Hey Ryan,

You might want to see if when it was new and sold in CA if at that time it qualified as a moped. Maybe the laws have changed since then and it would be grandfathered in.

oops I meant Motor Driven Cycle. :P

zeke-bule gila /

what if i have this problem in Mi? with a passport?

i've often wondered if 70's california moped law defined any bike, with or without pedals, under 50cc as a moped. But..... a lot of CVC's, california vehicle codes, that have changed over the years have a reference to when they were changed and what is grandfathered in. For example the CVC about how all motorcycles must have a day time running light goes on to say that if you bike was made before 1973(i think) it doesn't have to have one. The CVC about mopeds references nothing about a .... before such and such date.... under 50cc.... blah blah blah doesn't have to have pedals. So I think in california a moped needs pedals and always has needed them to be defined as such.

Qt never had pedals!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account