50v or 103

Re: 50

worst thread/ thread title ever.

arty party /

Wow. Fuck my phone.

Ok, given the choice between a 50v and a 103, which would you choose?

E50's are rad and all, but I really want to try my hand at something with a CVT. Paul's PMFM really have me stoked on mobys, but I know 103's can be fucking fast. Thoughts?

arty party /

Yeah, sorry Nash... It's just kinda hard to post from my phone while getting a hummer from your mom/sister. Thanks for understanding buddy.

no problem dude, i totally understand, that happens to me daily. it is very hard to differentiate between a mom and a sister so good thing you included both with a slash. or did you want me to feel sorry for you because you hit "post" even though you could see how horrible it was? i highly doubt any of this was your phones "fault".

but enough about that. personally i'd go with a hobbit if i was gonna pick my first variated bike. its not like 50v and 103 are the only options. vespas and hobbits are good bikes too, and have less finnicky stupid french electronics to deal with. hobbit is arguably the most "modern" of the 4 right off the bat with lots of room immediately for upgrades.

if you only have the option of a french bike though, i feel like its a ford vs. chevy thing, where neither is truly better than the other, its just a matter of personal preference.

aghh was i being a dick? stupid phone!!! i apologize...my phone does this sometimes.

ok now i am actually apologizing, i was in a bad mood

i must say, if youve been working exclusively with E50s so far, working with something variated will be a breath of fresh air. i was pretty much exclusively an E50 kinda guy from like mid-2008 till mid-2010 and i was getting SO fucking sick of working on them. now i have basically two hobbits, a motron (V1), a robin (G2), a moby (AV7), a pacer (M01) and a Si, so i have lots of exciting new engines to play with and its pretty exciting to get your hands into something new. its like starting all over again, but with enough logic and skills gained previously where the whole learning process is just a matter of taking the engine apart and putting it back together again, then making it fast.

the hobbit is a great engine, as are all the other ones. ALL the variated bikes can be made insanely fast, like SUPER fast. aside from vespas ive seen pretty much all of them break 70. (is there a 70+ vespa moped yet?) and ive seen all of them wheelie off the line.

variated bikes are pretty much the end of moped tuning. if you wanna have a bike that is satisfying throughout the entire range, go variated or go home. 1 and 2 speeds can be made to be really fast, but theres always comprimises. theres basically no comprimising on a variated bike.

that said, any of them are good choices. theres tons of performance parts available for all of them. they can all be made to do 40+ with almost entirely stock setups, and they get there quick too.

basically you cant go wrong, the choice is yours, youll be satisfied pretty much no matter what you go with.

arty party /

Nah, it's cool man. I just have no experience with french bikes, only what I read on here, so I didn't know if there was a big difference in performance between the av7 and the 103. Likewise, I don't have a lot of experience with people from east of the rockies but west of the appalachians, so I just assumed all your moms and sisters were the same person. My bad.

Seriously though, I've got a line on one or both these bikes, and as much as I'd like to get both, I just hate having to eat ramen all the time.

arty party /

No apologies necessary dude. You were just flipping shit, I got that and was just returning the volley. Thanks for the insight though. I think yiur stuff is pretty rad so it means a lot.

Fish tits Krauthamer /

haha, id pick mopeds over being able to eat good food any day, but maybe thats just me.

i feel like a lot of dudes prefer the 103 route, but moby racing goes way back too. either can be made super fast, and they are actually pretty similar bikes all around anyway.

people will chime in im sure, but from my own experience some of the fastest bikes ive ridden were 103s. i rode johno's 68mph 103 and that thing was fucking sick. in SF i was at a red light in my BMW and jimmy next to me. he fucking DESTROYED me on his 103, and i was in a CAR. im kinda biased towards 103s. they are just cool bikes, and personally i kinda like the lines a little more than mobys. more squared off and 60s/70s looking.

i guess if i had to choose i'd go with a 103. but if i also had to choose, id go with both, and build up both to be super fast.

mobys are too big, and peugeot has a lion for their logo and lions r tuff. that should answer your question right there.

also, I think all the really nice stuff for motobecanes might be a little more expensive than peugeot stuff? not sure.

if you get into 103's batavus made a couple bike with 103 motors that are pretty damn cool. i have a mondial that im working on, and its pretty much the shit. its gold, ugly, has a 103 motor and says 'batavus' on the side. oretty much everything you could want out of a moped.

yeah the choices for bike models are pretty easy. while every engine was mounted on a billion rad bikes in europe, here in america the pickins are slim.

BOTH of these however were released to the american market, BOTH have 103 engines stock. consider it:

what was motobecane's american top tank offering? a stupid bike that didnt even have a motobecane engine on it.

HAHA of couse i post the one grand prix that has a sachs engine on it. whoops.

103 all the way, almost unlimited kits including water cooled, new frames out there, rims, pipes, CDI racing stuff, cranks,

unless you get a AV10 motor the 103 will walk all over the 50V

103sp...by far the most solid stock ped I've ever owned

Get em both. Kidding. Sort of. I feel like my 103 makes a little more sense overall and sturdier frame and fork with better engineering but they are both great bikes.

I have 2 Moby 50v's and a 103. If I had to get rid of one it would be a Moby because I would still have both. If 2 mopeds had to go well it would be the Mobys. No fucking way I'm getting rid of my 103. there has been too much work in it for me to ever let it go.

Ok check this. Moby/Pug are almost the same.

~Moby has the clutch/vario weight on the end of the crank (looks good) but a clutched pulley can pretty much take all that weight off of the crank.

~Pug has the mass of the vario weight closer to the case so maybe a little less strain on the end of the crank (also clutched pulley avail.)

~Pug has the stupid subframe surrounding the motor which makes carb options a little harder to fit.

~Moby pretty much has open space for the carb, but bigger carbs are still a bitch because the AV7 is closer to the frame work and in variation most carbs will hit the frame.

~Moby has those stupid rubber motor mounts and the motor likes to vibrate the shit out of everything.

~Pug has solid mount variation (no rubber shit)

I love the way my Moby can bank on a curve and lean low, but the Pug rides better and smoother. I would vote for a 103 all day long between the two.

TSM is so pretty!

I forgot to mention about the fact the 103's have bolt on EBRs that are a perfecto fit.

Get the 103. Plenty of easy free speed mods to do and not as much porting to be done on the stock cylinder to go fast. Also there is some secret tuner shit with the 103's that will have you ripping for free if you can figure it out, but most just buy a kit.

arty party /

Rad. Thanks for the heads up broskis. I think I'm gonna swoop on the 103, dude wants more for it, but it's in overall better condition.

I think I'm gonna try to keep it pretty stockish and try to pull power out of it as I gain more experience. I put kits on my e50's and they blast pretty good for only having some light porting, but it seems like vario bikes offer a lot more return on investment (in terms of skill and effort involved at least).

A corrolary variator question: Is it possible to tune a PA50II with a stock cylinder to do 50 like a champ? I was talking to a guy with a TSA at a party the other week and he seemed pretty doubtful it could be done.

its totally possible. with the right porting and parts you can do 50 on just about any stock cylinder.

Mobys seem to be more common and the frames are juat a little prettier, imho. Also, the dramatic difference from porting makes it a lot of fun to tune on. 103 is a better bike in almost every respect though.

See if the other guy will hold the Moby for you then you can get both.

Pauls PMFM was fast as hell but he had a lot of time into it

i dont think he considers it a PMFM anymore cause its kitted and has expensive parts in it now

i just got a peugeot and i can tell ya they are a lot easier to work on than a moby and they are very simple even more simple than a jawa

what i like about french bikes is the fact that you can time them cause they have no keyway in the flywheel thats so much better than just being able to move the stator

^ Indeed.

Also on the 103 you can take the vario apart with one wrench. The flywheel comes off easy with the puller and the only thing in the case is the crank. Pure awesome.

i do like the IDEA of not having a keyway, however in practice it makes it way easier for your timing to slip which kinda blows.

arty party /

^ I sheared a woodruff key the first time I rebuilt my e50. I have been using lapping compound religiously ever since.

really? on the 20+ puch engined bikes ive owned ive NEVER sheared a woodruff key.

arty party /

Wow. Way to rub it in dude... Ha. No, I have no idea what happened, but I probably did something wrong. Maybe it wasn't seated right and the flywheel bolt didn't tighten right? Either way, I feel like lapping compound is a pretty good/cheap/easy insurance policy, especially for non-keyed tapers. Keeps everything nice and tight.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account