Opine on Breakdown...

"Today I was out riding when my moped broke down. I had ridden full throttle for about 10 minutes in the 95 degree heat, and had ridden another 5 minutes on a sidewalk at about 1/4 throttle. The sidewalk had had some bumps, but nothing that seemed too big. However, I started losing speed and when I added throttle power, it died. I tried a few times to get it started; it would start, but die when I gave it gas. I parked and called my husband from a payphone; he suggested I try it again; same results. I said I would start walking it and meet him. When I met him, he gave it a try and it worked.<br>He says it was 'vapor lock', something that used to happen to a car of his when it got too hot. Is this right, or could there be another problem?"

How's it running today?

": Today I was out riding when my moped broke down. I had ridden full throttle for about 10 minutes in the 95 degree heat, and had ridden another 5 minutes on a sidewalk at about 1/4 throttle. The sidewalk had had some bumps, but nothing that seemed too bi"

Re: How's it running today?

"<br>: Kim:<br>: I've been riding mine in the Indiana heat all week, and it has been fine. Vapor lock is certainly possible, although unprobable. My suspicion is that you may have had some dirty gas, or water in the gas, or some crud in the carburetor. If the problem persists, it is most likely in the carb.<p>: P.S. - don't you wish you had some pedals on that thing?<p>: Steve.<p>Actually, I haven't taken it out again since; it would just break my little heart if it happened again :) I already thought that it gets way too hot when it's ridden hard, although there's no one around here to compare notes with. No, walking it wasn't that bad.. At the time I wasn't thinking ""Gee, I wish I had pedals."", I was thinking ""Gee, I wish it wasn't so hot."" It just had to be pushed, so I pushed it. I cannot imagine pedalling it! :)"

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account