Gas cap logistics question...

Okay, I just realized the silliest thing about my 2000 targa lx while I was washing it a while ago...The gas cap has a lock that always requires the key to open it. I assumed it was to prevent people from siphoning out my gas. But then I noticed that the rubber fuel line is exposed for about 6 inches or so on it's way to the carb. Now, I admit that most people that stoop to stealing gas aren't all that blessed with brains, but I think most can figure out that they can either cut or yank this fuel line and just let the stuff run into a jug. Actually, it's better cuz you don't run the risk of getting any in your mouth as you siphon. Anyways, I gotta buzz and thought I'd share a lighter side of peds with you guys / gals...

Oh yea, anybody got a good idea for gettin chain oil off the back rim without melting the sealant on mag wheels?

Thanks and enjoy,

Lane

Re: Gas cap logistics question...

Ron Brown /

Lane,

At least it stops someone from putting something in the gas tank.

For the chain oil use Simple Green or an equivalent.

Ron

Chris Robertson /

Use whatever mechanic's hand cleaner you use to get the chain lube off of your rims.

Chris.

Wayne Broderick /

I was wondering about the Gas cap, as I have that same bike.

I assumed it was like Ron said-- intended to prevent some goon from putting syrup or dirt in there for cheap kicks.

no actually the thing behind the locking gas cap is: if people steal your ped and it runs out of gas then they cant put any in.....theyll probably just dump the bike somewhere.it is also used like you guys said,so people cant put shit in there. i guess the locking gas cap is a cheap theif deterent for mopeds

If i steal a bike tho, I'd just bust off the cap and stuff a plastic bag in for a replacement; not that I'd steal a bike. I thought about the point of keeping people from putting crap in the tank, but damn, not even I've been that bored before.

Lane

Chris Robertson /

Hi Lane:

You'd be surprised with what drunk people will do! I had a friend that used to ride around Vancouver on a Honda scooter back in the 80's. He'd lock his helmet to the bike with his chain. One night he got back to his machine to find his helmet full of piss!

He (obviously) refused to wear his helmet home, and got pulled over by a cop. When he told the cop what had happened the cop laughed his ass off and let him go.

Now I don't think it's too much of a stretch to go from whizzing in a helmet to whizzing in a gas tank...

Chris.

The lock could also keep some smart ass from stealing the cap.

its so people wont put stuff in your tank. i wish i had a locking cap on my Puch because someone put sugar in my gas tank and it clogged the fuel line and carb and i had to take off the gas tank and clean it out after i cleaned the carb and fuel line.

Well after reading these posts about the gas cap, I went ahead and ordered a locking gas cap to replace the plastic one on my moped. No sense taking chances with the idiots in this world.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account