Tire Recommendations?

Hey all --

I need new tires for my Hobbit (17x2.25) and Puch Maxi (17x2). I'm looking for good, all-around tires -- nothing too speed heavy or too grippy -- somewhere pretty general.

What do you recommend?

Jason

Re: Tire Recommendations?

sava b4 or michelin gazelles

I recommend searching.

For the 17x2.25, my vote is for the Gazelle. They're beefy and thick and last a long time, although they are kind of a pain to get on.

On the Maxi, you can definitely fit a 2.25" tire on the rear. It's close (particularly with a Gazelle) but it can be done. On the front, I think it depends on the fender, or at least that's how it is on one of mine (which is admittedly not a Maxi). Other than whatever pros/cons there are in general with getting a wider tire, the main point is that lots of tires come in 17x2.25, but very few come in 17x2. These are the only ones I've seen recently that come in 17x2.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

My wife has been happy with these. break> They're on a 103. A little narrower than stock, but better than the rotted ones she was running before.

campeona del mundo /

2.25 gazelles aren't worth it on a maxi or pinto or anything that isnt a freespirit or mag. if your wheel is slightly out of true they rub, and you basically can't run a front fender. Plus they are a bitch to get on. The rubber compound is mad decent and its awesome that you can run them with a flat tube, but yeah, they are nothing special... sava b4 or mc11. hutchinson spherus's are good if you don't plan on kitting or going above 31mph...just mounted a pair and they were pretty easy to get on. the bike they are on is a 40mph ported bike with a boss, and the tires are holding up just fine, just don't go super blaster on them.

also, for the maxi, run 2.25s not 2s all around...

Good to hear these. I have really, really old gazelles on my hobbit... and just bought a new pair. I think I might pick up the IRCs 17x2s because they are available locally. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Jason

vm100's

I don't often see shinko's recommended, but I have had good experiences with them. Also with the non-slick/semi slick IRCs.

Can VM100's still be had, in 17"?

Hehe

Get round ones. Those square ones are a bitch to install!

Re: Hehe

I don't know what you cats are smoking, Gazelles are hard to put on compared to what? When I swapped what were effectively new Gazelles from the Monza to the Magnum in took hardly any time at all and they beaded up nicely too.

For the style of riding mentioned the Gazelle is a great tire. That said I've had such an awesome experience with the heidenau K56 (a sticky fast tire) that if I were shopping for an all around tire I might try the heidenau K36.

"heidenau K36":http://www.treatland.tv/heidenau-K36-moped-tire-p/heidenau-k36-17x2.50.htm

IRC zaps are pretty nice. cheap and readily available. a little on the slick side but not so much that theyre too dangerous in the rain. those K36's mentioned above look nice, and i know gazelles are really nice in snow, dirt, and rain.

my next set are gonna be those K56's. they look like some pretty rad tires.

You will be an _UnholyHashMonsterExtraordinaire_ once you equip with the K56.

Now these are much harder to mount than the Gazelles, and I had to pump nearly 60psi to get the bead to seat. :P

"heidenau K56":http://www.treatland.tv/heidenau-K56-moped-racing-tire-p/heidenau-k56-17x2.75.htm

I know I already posted but I have to jock sava kran tires again, I'm not a strong guy by any means and I put them on with my hands, simply blew up the inner tube enough to hold its shape and wrestled them on. This means no problem doing roadside tube patches too! I've heard gazelles are a real pain, and do not clear maxi fenders or swingarms. No such troubles with the sava 17x2.25 tires, and they still stick to the road well even if you get caught in moderately wet conditions. 35 psi is perfect for all around day driving They also have a nice profile for blasting through traffic and barreling through tight corners.

Sava's are great, they go one like butter and are good quality! F&ck gazzelles there a bitch to mount, there heavy, there the cool guy trend last year and the only thing good about them is for is running flat on if you ride like a drunken ape and smash pot holes and hit curbs. I mounted 4 sets in 2 months in different bikes with 8" spoons and lube. There terrible, and if you pop one on the side of the rode your f*cked cuz you won't be able to change the tube. And It's not my first tire rodeo.

End gazzelle rant

Matt Mahloch -- MBM Customs /

Just to touch on the mounting of gazelles. The 2.25x17 on a 50v suck super bad. The 2.50x17 on free spirit snowflakes and magnum spokes go on by hand. From personal experience.

The 2.5 Gazelles went on easier than the 2.25's in my experience as well.

most maxis i see came with 2.25" all around. ive only had one ever that was stock with 2"s.

Anyone ever fitted 17x2.75 to a puch maxi mk2 (the one where the rear arch is part of the frame?) just ordered some Kenda 657 tyres in this size for mine - might be a bit snug at the back! Wondering if it's been done before?

Anyone done it?

too bad no more vm100s, gazelles are kind of chunky n heavy lots of drag for a stocker bike.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Mc11's only

i have 17x2.25" gazelles on 2 maxis, both have front fenders. one has a sport fender the other has a standard maxi fender. no clearance issues.

no groms no blasters /

why would you top a thread to answer a question asked a year ago?

old threads our like our bikes. the older ones are better. new ones suck. modify the old stuff! didn't ya know?!

Tony Gumble Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> why would you top a thread to answer a question

> asked a year ago?

Cause he wants some SteveR lovin. :>

For teh LULZ

Maybe hes just adding to the archives for the next person who is going to search the topic. Keeping the data fresh is not a bad idea.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account