How to run AV7 in reverse?

Has anyone tried running an AV7 in the opposite direction than it's supposed to? If yes how can this be achieved? Any one way bearings I should know about?

Re: How to run AV7 in reverse?

No one way bearings in the AV7, but why in reverse direction?

reverse land speed record of course!

You'd have to mess with the timing, primarily. that, and turn it over in the opposite direction to start it (obviously).

Many reasons to do this. If ya don't know...

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

it is so easy to run one of these motors in reverse that people do it on accident sometimes. there's no magic reasons for wanting to do it, though.

all timing related, make it real retarded or fire right at tdc then start in reverse, its a cool parlor trick to ride ur moby in circles backwards at a rally, ain't that reason enough?!!

I would guess the clutches would not like it much, but yes, it works.

I don't think the clutch would care too much.

Are you making a dual engine bike?

campeona del mundo /

oh god mopeds are gonna turn into fixed gears and people are going to be doing backwards circles and fakies!!!

Vova Fett /
ven OP

Actually I joined the circus a few months ago but my act's getting old so I figured I'd ride my moped backwards :P

Aaron's right about a few things though, the clutch won't care too much as it'll be sitting in a box somewhere. It won't be a dual engine bike but it will be a dual something bike (gosh what could it be...) I don't want to get ahead of myself and say too much because the design isn't even on paper yet, but I'm toying around with the idea of adding some Italian touch to the moby.

Thanks for the help! Back to the drawing board and I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. Just wanted to know if it's possible.

^^^ See. I know what he is up to :)

HEY VEN IVE TRIED THIS TOO AND LET ME SAY WHAT A PAIN IN THE NECK!! YEEEOOOWWW!!!

The dual variated models like the 99z and the AV92 ran an av7 backwards. Or maybe it was av14 engine which is almost the same thing. I don't know. I'm not good with specific model names.

AV92 does not run backwards

AV92 does run backwards, I have 2 here it has the dual variated set up with the rear box

My AV92 with an SP98(AV7)runs reverse rotation.

All of the relay box Motobecanes run backwards, the CG/BG and CG43/BG43 galets turn in the opposite direction, also the C52/D52 with the 5 speed crash box is also a 'gauche'.

The primary and secondary clutches indeed do not like to operate in the opposite direction and the ball retainer in the variator is also different.

Set your timing the same as the regular motors as 1,5-2,0mm BTDC but remember the before is coming from the opposite direction.

OK watching this space to see what Ven is up to now...

Phil N. [MMP] /

Reverse was the way I first got my AV7 to fire!

Vova Fett /
ven OP

I can't start machining anything until the first week of January when I go back to school, so that's when this thread will probably be revived. Just figuring out minor details right now and then off to Solidworks.

flip it upside down.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account