Okay... Scooter crush?

So I was at Wal-mart and saw a Honda Metropolitan... It had a Ruckus motor on it, which made it look stretched a tad, and it was lowered some. Custom led strip tail lights, and a fram brace...

It looked pretty fucking clean. The attention to detail was there. Bigger kiehn card and K&N filters... Yoshiamra pipe... It was pretty bad as for a scoot.

Anyway, the guy came out while I was looking at it, and he was stoked that someone noticed it wasn't just a Drunk mobile. He seemed really cool. Pointed out somethings that he did custom that I didn't even notce. (polished trany cover and clutch breather.)

The guy took pride in it, and it looked and sounded awesome. I couldn't help but think... "Maybe I should build a scoot??"

Any one else ever get a Scooter crush, or am I non-hetero for this?

Re: Okay... Scooter crush?

I just picked up a vespa v90 project for $200. Never had a scooter before. Never thought of owning one. The opportunity presented itself and I took the bait. Seems like it will be a fun project. I know of a few other MA members with scoots. I personally think any new scoot around is butt ugly, but the vintage scoots are not so bad. Haters gonna hate.

-Kevin

I own 5 scooters and I like them, they are fun to ride.

I am picking up a 06 ruckus tomorrow and doing the gy6 extension!

Will look pretty much like this when I'm finished except mine will be lowered with 600 ninja rims that will end up setting it at stock height

I am also mocking up fiberglass faring and a few other things

^that shit is crazy....I like it. Not sure if I could justify spending as much as that must cost for a scooter though, you could prob buy a nice fast motorcycle for what it cost to build that.

I'm getting my 2006 ruckus for $50 with a shot motor. I already have a GY6 that was wrecked so I have most of the parts already!!!! I'm stoked

i was going to transplant a gy6 long onto my express but ended up with a nx motor a lot cheaper plus i wanted a 2t not 4t

campeona del mundo /

please move this to ot

ruckus's are alright....i can't stand that stretched out shit though

never been a fan of the stretched ruckuses. im not much for super clean flashy builds generally, they arent good looking bikes, the parts cost $$$$$$$ and the gains are minimal. pretty much nothing about them is appealing to me.

if they were 2-stroke and actually fast i might at least like that aspect, but they dont even have that going for them.

as far as scooters go i'm a pretty large fan of smallframe vespas, older obscure steel scooters, and the 80s plastic shit. its all cool to me. but this new stuff has no soul at all.

I actually agree Nash, I really like my 93 Jog thing is so reliable

Although this ruckus will do 70mph all day with my 150 gy6.

Just trying something fun.. I will have 2 bikes neither worth a shit, might as well make one fun thing out of them!.

modern scooter performance parts are mad expensive. I've been eyeballing some old vespas and stuff... those things aren't cheap either.

kitted 2 stroke scooters = best low end of all time.

vino and jogs destroy!

i loved my ruckus as a basic, barebones, A to B mobile with a little more adventurous edge. all my mods were storage and practical (foot pegs on sides helped open up the floor for storage and balance the bike, windscreen actually did shave the top speed up a bit, etc)

i was a member of totalruckus.com and loved to see all the home made mods.

whenever i saw the crazy expensive, purely 'aesthetic' mods, and the over the top tacky blinged out mods, i'd get quite turned off.

i think honestmike is still over there, and he and a few others keep it real, but for the most part it's way too west coast urban bling styling going on with rucks right now, and i'm not interested.

also, i always wondered how the fuck people could afford those mods, and why you'd throw $10k in pure bling at a 50cc scooter when you could have a great highway legal bike for that price.

I would flip shit for a Vespa 150 GS longseat, or a Vespa 50 con pedali, wich actualy had pedals...

But I just love two wheels. I hate cheap chinese plastic like the other guy. But I can dig it when some one gets in there with their own two hand and builds a bike that looks cool, and they take pride in it... To me thats what its about.

Pushrod Fifty /

Pressed steel is my favorite. Workin' on my 1964 50 smallframe just like above, but w/o pedals. Putting a 70cc DR kit on it, I put new crank bearings in it, still have to replace the fork stem bearings.

I'm starting to develop a little Honda Metro crush myself. My buy one for my girl as an excuse to have one around. Might even sell one of my Puchs to get the Metro. Am I crazy?

not crazy.

the honda scoots are built to last (well, mechanically anyway)

the money you spend keeping the classic mopeds running will easily cover maintenance and mods on a metro.

the black and gray satin one is pretty slick. but i'd still make mine olive drab matte ;)

Not at all, Metro is dead reliable, modern bike that if you don't mess with it could and should last a really long time. Downside: completly soulless and small wheel handeling issues.

worked on a vino the other day = horizontal minarelli that will blow your face off

i had a 4 stroke vino (i know, i know) that i got for $300. 'murder, she rode.' i loved her for reliable transportation and overall comfort. Matt W has her now, fair trade for a minimag. I still miss riding that beast. here's a glamour shot elliott giffis took:

campeona del mundo /

4t vinos for lyfe! nothing like having a beater that fires up every single time. Mike, I did a little variator tuning like you said you did to your vino and its a rocket off the line now.

Sullivan & Sullivan,llp /

Submitting my '88 Hondeere for your approval

thats funny there is a john deere razz around in kansas.

I got a '85-ish Honda Aero for free, that I need to fix. It's pretty much like a slightly larger Spree with a "better" engine and a variator.

this boner that used to ride with us rocks a ruckus stretch swap on the sweet purple/black model spree

perhaps you remember the AV10 wet dream build? that was him. That build was never finished and he still rocks probably the sweetest scooter i've ever seen. too bad he's such a butt knocker.

Sullivan & Sullivan,llp /

I got mine for $200 on CL down the street from me. Coincidentally the dude sold a Motomarina to a girl I work with last summer so that broke the ice. He wanted $400 but he stripped the spark plug putting it in. I told him I couldn't helicoil it and it would probably need a new head. Then I went home and put a longer plug with some washers and have been rocking it ever since.

Mike I will seriously give you $10 if you can get a pic of that scooter and possibly the guy's information so I can start a multi state john deere scooter club.

I kinda really want an old vespa 150, like a primavera...

Confessions Of A Scooter Shop Employee

So I pick up hours at this scooter/auto repair shop. I originally started out fixing the old mopeds he had piled in the back that he hated to work on. fixed those up pretty quick. Then it was on to the scooters. ugh. the scooters. SO MUCH CRAP. Chinese scooters are the worst fucking pieces of shit. every screw strips.

I saw one incident where this dude brought in some smashed up chinese scooter where the triple tree on his front forks had actually snapped in half, bending his forks out and sending him flying over his bike. wtf? Yet people don't fucking do their research and keep buying this stupid chinese shit.

On a happier note. I have worked on a ton of sick as 2 and 4 stroke engines at this shop. the sickest 2 stroke benelli with a 90cc kit and the works. thing was radradrad! But in the end, they all look like glorified fucking toilets. I'll stick with my vintage peds thank you.

^I love it!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account