Gearing and Button Questions

I have a couple of questions. To start with I have a 2010 Tomos ST with pedal start and it is my first moped ever.

I am interested in making pedaling easier for times when I have the motor off. I noticed on the wiki that someone posted a thing on how to change a punch freewheel which seemed really interesting. My wheels are different though. I have mag wheels instead of spoked wheels. Is there still a way I can improve pedaling even though I have mag wheels and if so does anyone know how I can go about doing it?

My next question... I have a red button right below my engine kill switch. The red button has what looks like a lightning bolt on it. I have played with the button many times under different situations but nothing seems to happen. Does anyone know what this button is for?

Re: Gearing and Button Questions

I don't believe you can change the gear ratio on the pedals of a Tomos, since the pedal crank assembly is inside the engine (no freewheel)

someone correct me if I'm wrong...

that button would be for your electric start. to change the pedal ratio you'd have to change the main drive ratio as well, i believe.

You cannot change the internals of the engine to pedal faster. If you want to be able to that get a moped with a freewheel, ie: puch motobecane etc.

If you want to make a higher top speed pedaling, you could get slightly shorter crank arms, or if you wanted easier pedaling at a slower speed, longer crank arms, but the internal gearing isn't easily changed, and there is no free wheel on a Tomos.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account