58 sears allstate moped

Been trying to put together for the last year. I think 58 because of internal coil. Looking for pipes for the exhaust, just acquired a used one w/o pipes. Looking for some clutch parts as well. Becoming a weird obsession to get this one going. Motor apart, bought as a salvage, previous owner spun bearing. New to site, love it. Thank you.

Re: 58 sears allstate moped

Know much about them, and been into them for years. email me. I don't have the muffler tips. I have manual if you need it. I know where to shop for parts. Here's the place in the states...

http://www.motorwestmotorcycles.com/shop/

Call them, they'll know exactly what they have in stock. They probably have alot of the clutch parts if not all.

here's my email too. I like answering questions about these when I can. And discussing them.

rilly_deezy@yahoo.com

Since I do have a set of muffler tips of my wife's to go by. I could possibly make a pretty close copy. If I had the incentive I could make them.

woops... here's a clickable link to Motor West

Tim Delehanty /

Thank you. Been trying to figure out the air filter set-up. Also wondering if 54-58 since coil is internal. Everyone I show this to is intrigued by its looks and build quality. Weird seat though. Did post 58s have brake light? Mine is red/cream. What color is yours?

hmmm if yours is red/cream, thenyou just might have an older style motor... the ones that went on red/cream bikes were nearly all outer coil ones. Ya might even have a later motor. I'd have to see it. The motor shrouding is one of the easiest ways to tell, if it's original. You're probably pretty close on the year, but it is probably just a couple years newer. I'm pretty sure they came out with the red/cream bikes late 1959. Before that, they were solid maroon, smaller rear shocks, smaller rear rack. Little bit smaller gas tank.

Every bike with the bubble-topped tail light had brake lights. In fact, every bike after the first 2 years I think. So every red/cream bike probably came with brake lights, and a switch that hooks up to the rear brake arm.

Does yours have the extra air box? If not (which hardly any had) it only takes the round screen filter. I think Motor West may have them.

I'd like to see yours if ya got any pictures. I could tell you more that way. I have 3 maroon style ones, if you include my wife's DeLuxe. My brother also has a maroon one. I have one red/cream one that I normally ride. This is it's lucky winter, as I'm gonna rebuild a motor completely for it.

After the red/cream style came the blue/white. Those I think had internal coils too. A little squarer transmission case, and no dipstick.

The older style (maroon) had the thinner-made motor shrouding, usually a decompressor valve, and a longer pedal stride inside. It also has a circular fan cover, where the later ones after the maroon ones all have the little larger fan cover, with the little bite out where it's nearthe pedal shaft.

Motor West may sell seats... if you can handle riding on thise things! They do have a tutorial on how to change the saddles out. Here's Page One and Page Two

I haven't checked my email yet. I just got home. Here is my baby.

And below, is my wife's.

It had the most ever-rare original legshields that ONLY came on those DeLuxes, that one year. 1958. Notice her rear larger chrome rack, but the older smaller rear shocks. Also the fender skirting. The chrome-topped tank that is also the red/cream style shape; but it's got the older motor.

I need to find a lower brace for her leg shields. We have them off right now. That pic back there was the day we brought it home. I went all the way through it since, and we got to ride most all this summer together, as we just found that bike early this past summer.

Tim Delehanty /

Nice mopeds. especially like the '58 Deluxe (chrome tank is cool). Thank you for the info. The frame numbers match the engine number. Here is a pic w/o motor. Saw youtube about exhaust burnoff in fire, excellent idea. My wife is into the moped as well since I think she'll be very comfortable on and easy to ride. I have an old vespa she just can't get use to. Love the legshields on the '58. Nice to communicate w/ someone who knows about these cool rides. My brothers and I have always liked the different stuff, working on old Benelli Hurricane too.

1292780355_img_2452.jpg

Yep, email me if ya want the manual on CD.

I'd need to see the motor to know more. Those frame numbers and motor numbers will always match, if it's still got the original motor. Those don't tell ya much. The main number is that number on the Sears rivitted tag. The last 3 numbers in particular. They shared the same numer for 2 years at a time for many of the mopeds.

Yours probably had the brake light. I could show you a photo later on how those go.. the switch and all. If you're missing the tail light housing, they are usually VERY pricey when ya find one, BUT Motor West sells a really really nice version that is a copy of the old style... the first year style. They look more like miniature 50's VW Beetle tail lights. Real good for replacements, and affordable. My wife had a small challange with shifting at first, but she's got it down now, and we both can't stop smiling at each other while riding together.

It's kinda hard to see it enough, but I think your tail light stuff that IS there isn't original.

Your chrome looks great. That already looks like it's just screaming to be ridden! Also it does appear that it never did have an external coil mount either... so that is odd for a red/cream bike. Now I wanna see it. Makes me wonder... I'm pretty convinced that when the red/cream bikes came out that a few were made up of new parts of the older type model, til the parts ran out. Things I have seen, make me about convinced of this. It's weird that yours would have the chrome rear rack but have the older motor... Unless, it's RIGHT before the blue/white version, and you got the next type motor... Tag numbers would give me a better hint, but even the information on those conflict all over. But it'd give me a better idea of where it is in the sequence. Mine's a 010... They also made hardtails with the old rear rack, but red/cream color. Some of those even had painted rims instead of chrome. There's so many weird things about them, and how they sold... hahaa

I'm always happy to discuss these bikes.

nice bike! if you can't find the parts you're looking for in the states check out the wiki there are some euro allstates parts links i put in a whie ago i think. As for the pipes i know this guy that makes some nice fat ones in stainless steel if you want something a little different..

Maybe nice to make your own or get deezy to do it haha....

I'm not sure what kinda light is on your bike but as most of the original light types are hard to find/ expensive a decent alternative is one of these

http://www.kronanwinkel.nl/prod_show.php?maingroup=Onderdelen&secondgroup=leeg&thirdgroup=leeg&art_no=FIKR0111&afdeling=Onderdelen

Gety rid of the tubing around it, paint it and you have something similar to the original 'spanninga' light.They're originally for Kronan transport bycicles, i'm not sure if they were ever sold in the states...

Good luck!

Here's what we got Daan...

"Tail Light":http://www.motorwestmotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=230

I think he's still got them. I should actually buy a couple myself just to have on hand for that day they don't exist anymore. We need a headlight supply place here!

oh no.. it says he only has 4!

*get some more Matt! hahahaa I'm not showing these to anyone anymore!

Tim Delehanty /

Thanks for the excellent info. Would really like to get one of those talilights. Can't wait to ride, they look like a blast. Do you run w/o the exhaust tips? Does it affect performance? Thinking about making some nice ones out of aluminum, super cool little exhaust, from the ones I've seen on youtube, they sound pretty throaty for a 2-stroke. Any idea what the 2 white pieces of plastic on front fender are for? Dumb question, but just got some misc clutch cover screws, is the larger head screw for the oil drain plug? Finally got ahold of the elusive centering screw which took me forever to find. Also have an extra dipstick if anyone interested. Love this bike and I have yet to ride, hoping to piece together over xmas vacation. Will post more pics next week.

Tim Delehanty /

Thanks for the site, the tips look nice in stainless.

running without the tips just makes more noise....Doesn't affect performance really, i did it myself for a while....Not sure what screw goes where, i'd have to check, if it fit's a hole its ok...

hahaa, I actually lost a dipstick a few years ago, and sorta need one still... Yes run without the tips. It performs better without them. The loudness comes from the intake more than the exhaust. Not sure which larger head screw you are talking about, but there's a low screw, that is sort of like the case screws, that is the drain one.

Those plastic pieces are just to prevent wear of the paint, from the rubbing of cables. None of my bikes had those left anymore.

yep, the little tips mainly only slow the flow, but the look a little nicer with them on. I like those large tips!

Tim Delehanty /

Tell me where to send. I"ll put dipstick in mail. Very much appreciate the great info. you've provided. All I ask if you can measure the exhaust tips on your wife's deluxe, want to duplicate some originals of my own. Thank you.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account