Well, I now have a "new" ignition condensor and the ped fired right up. Of course, it did that before I started so we shall see.
I mounted the condensor on the big engine mount bolt on the left side of the motor, crimped a male spade lug with an extra wire in it, to the end of the condensor wire and a female spade to the end of the extra wire. I used the spade lugs to connect the kill switch wire to the coil pigtail which gets the condensor in the circuit where I need it.
I put the two screws that used to mount the condensor back in the magneto, put a small rubber gromet in the old hole where the wire used to go and plugged the grommet hole. All to keep dirt and water out of the mag.
I polished the points, installed them and re-set the timing.
I am now going to take my usual 40 mile test trip and see what happens. Last time I did this, the ped quit 5 times so it should be a good test. The fact that my favorit breakfast place is on the outbound leg, my local micro-brewery (I'll only have one Miguel) is the destination and the weather is great, are just some things I guess I will have to suffer through.
I am assuming my next post will be Eureka! and not Oh S**t.