Moped buying technique, do you act really dumb?

I do.

I don't know why, but I usually act like I know nothing about mopeds.

I guess I like to make it seem like no one cares about what they are selling, and I'm a schmuck for giving them any money for it.

The other technique is to play the pro, then point out the reason that theirs is not worth so much.

I go the low status route

Thoughts?

Re: Moped buying technique, do you act really dumb

rock no longer shredding pow /

i do the pro thing. usually i know more about the bike than the person and can get a couple bucks off. cars i try to do it, but im usually the one with less knowledge.

When you buy, you have to sell. You really have to judge the person with the product you are trying to buy.

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

I've tried both. It's easier to be the know it all because you don't have to put up a front.

The best method is probably somewhere in between guru and grom. Show them that you're knowledgeable without coming across as a jerk.

Sellers in New England can be very suspicious of Cliff Clavins.

I play dumb.

Just got a Magnum for $200.

just have a list of stuff and know your price drop numbers for not running, bad tires, leaky carb, cracked headlight anything to knock um down on the price. and don;t be afraid to bring a compression gauge to look at a non-runner.

always bring tools. dont forget paper work & registration fees. mention how much it'd be for scrap. be honest and inform them on prices for aluminum, copper, etc. people like to feel informed and are always more comfortable once they feel that they know what they are dealing with.

i have had peds given to me after spending an hour showing the seller how it works, talking about good riding routes and rallys... even showing them treats and 77 from my phone... i show em pics of my own peds. whatever.

i donno. ive paid a lot... and ive paid very little. ive had to work hard for some and literally said "heres $50" and walked away with a ped listed as $300 OBO

honesty work.

Congrats Michah. I'm glad you got a deal after I snatched the hobbit from your paws.

I thought maybe you were the one that beat me to the $200 Vespa Grande in Biddeford.

Seriously I feel like a knock $100 off the price ever time I use my magic sentence.

"I doubt I will even be able to find a mechanic who will work on this."

Hey Tom, did you work hard for the General?lol

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

I'm pretty much always honest, say I have a few and talk about how they are fun. I've never been too great at getting prices down, but I won't be there in the first place if I don't think it's a deal.

With that said I don't think a Magnum suits you.

Flip that bitch and buy something with class

I take the simple earnest approach, I tell the person everything, while subtley implying that I won't pay much. I tell them exactly why their bike won't start if I can figure it out. I also tell them that I know everyone that would care about it and know how to fix it. I also tell them that old people basically give them to you. I tell them that my friends and I trade them like pokemon cards.

I have struck deals like, I'll give you x amount if I can get it running right now or x amount if I can't, and then give it a legitimate try. When a guy was asking too much I literally explained to him what was wrong and how to fix it, and he ended out keeping it. I guess what I'm saying is that you don't really need to play games to get deals, some people are just down to hear that you are enthused about it more than they ever imagined, and they are happy that it is going to you.

One of the reasons I even thought to bring this up is that the only time in my life where I feel like I really shift into a character is when moped shopping.

At all other times I pride myself on being a stand up dude.

There is something fun about going undercover as an ignorant doofus, especially when the prize is a piece of poorly designed 35 year old eurojunk that I am battling other nerdy, frothing at the mouth misfits for.

Game on!

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

it gets me nowhere- but i often just mumble to myself pointing out how much it's going to be to get it running. usually more than the asking price, and i use 400 as what it's worth running and good shape, because around here that's about true. alot of times people inform me of 'how much they're worth, because of their rarity" of a maxi or something then get pissed off when i have a picture of 20 of em, and mention not one was over 200$.

another thing that really gets me nowhere is saying that i never pay more than 200$ for a non running ped, which is true (except for the clunker monti sold me. purchased sight unseen, lesson learned!). many scoff at the thought of me not paying 400 or so for their non running moped, and i leave. i'm sure my bullish stance gets the person after me the ped alot cheaper. walking away is fun sometimes though.

the final thing i do that really never helps is offering to fix it if they're only selling it because no one will fix it. i like to think that they might still want to keep it if it works- this leads to all kinds of problems whether they have you fix it or not, because they now have your phone number, and TONS OF BROKEN SHIT THAT'S NOT MOPEDS.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Since cheap peds go so fast in this town, I tell them that there's an extra $20 in it for them, if I get to see it first. Got my first Puch that way, $220.00

It really depends if I'm trying to get a better deal on it... when I picked up a maxi for $50 and the owner told me it would do 50-60 when I got it running again, I just said, "oh yeah, no kiddin?"

Ϫ‡☄ಬ∞ ƀƖḬƝƊ ƤǂƿƎ ∞ಬ☄‡Ϫ - Hoke from Black Pipes Moped Gang /

you've gotta read the seller.

wave the keys

flash teh cash

be ready to walk at any moment.

lots of ways to skin this cat......

pawn star..

My favorite trick is bringing someone else along to play the part of the buyer, then I'm just "a mechanic friend". I look the bike over, give negative reviews of problems, since the seller isn't dealing with me, he wont argue. And since the "buyer" isn't the knowledgeable mechanic, he can't play off repairs as being no big deal. Talked a hundred dollars off of a $200 Garelli that only needed the clutch cable reattached.

I guess I'm the only one who doesnt always try to talk people out of mopeds. I tell them that I have most of the parts the bike would need and that they should restore it and come wrench and ride...when they give a shitty story about getting out of mopeds or nah I'm cool...then I offer them a reasonble but lower price than they ask because they obviously dont want it. If nothing else I meet a new friend, possibly a new moped'r and someone I can sell parts to.

I think you guys are doing it wrong.

hahaa, I should. Every moped I've ever bought, I've known far more about than the guy selling it. But I've never really over-paid for one anyway.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account