Are Kinetics any good?

What's the general opinion on Kinetics? Where are they from? found one on CL. Guy is evasive with details. pic is good. he is local.

Re: Are Kinetics any good?

yes buy it. they're like a better version of a vespa. if you don't buy it i will

Where are they from?

america they are one of the best and fastest stock mopeds. Definitely get one i`ve got three of them.

best moped you can buy hands down!!

campeona del mundo /

i don't care much for kinetics...i got a free one once then whored the good parts off of it (cdi and flywheel..i just learned the rear brake pads are way bigger which is cool so i should have taken those too). the frame is ok, the forks are sketch, and the metallurgy on the engine is shitty. they rust abnormally fast too...but that might just be because i live 2 miles away from the ocean...yet all my other bike seem to be holding up fine.

however i love all mopeds! if it runs and is cheap buy it. just don't expect the best moped ever.

this thread is funny. my answer to your question is both yes and no.

yes: good brakes, CDI, parts availability and compatibility, capability to modify, keyed ignition, vespa technology, reliability in stock form.

no: crappy metallurgy, suspension, stock performance, stock curb appeal, all-around jankiness (made in india).

that being said, i have had two that i received as non-ops, and fixed them up to sell. one i got with 3400 miles on it. the guy who just bought it from the guy i sold it to and who beat it up got it running again. it was beat to shit, has 5200 hard miles on it, has a bent subframe, a worn-out suspension, but otherwise runs just fine.

i'm going to pick one up this weekend. i'm considering kitting it with the same set-up as in the pic below (minus the seat--i would use the stock pan with a much lower cushion, as i want it to look as good as possible). if i do it, i would beef up the subframe.

these bikes aren't as bad as everyone says, yet they are. i have a penchant for shit that other people don't like so much (my first bike was a jawa--i loved it).

if you plan on running this bike stock, and you don't mind a slow (28 mph) bike with little power off the line, you will have a reliable bike if you don't beat on it, and tighten and lube everything regularly. if you want to do upgrades, the possibilities are there just like vespas, as most all parts fit. all the carbs, pipes, clutch and vario parts (on bikes pre-2004), kits, etc, are interchangeable.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/78/11837/

Pushrod Fifty /

I'e seen the newer ones and they looked and sounded horrible, but I saw an older one that looked pretty well made.

They're good for stoking the fire.

Pushrod Fifty /

Oh so that's how to decarb a pipe in a fire.

I'm a little hurt.

Personally I'm gonna go with a no. I'd much rather avoid a kinetic if possible. Also people tend to think they're worth more than they actually are. A true old vespa's gonna be alot better

I've seen kinetics do all kinds of janky shit, tears in the subframe, creases, all sorts of wierd variator fails

but then again every moped's gonna be a fuckwad of failure til you work the kinks out.

This is the pic that he has posted. says it ran 6 yrs ago when he stored it. Currently does not run. I offered $100. He doesn't want any less than $200. Is this a good deal?

1290453167_kinetic.jpg

not really.

Yeah this guy seems attached> Looks like the ped is all there...Which is a better situation than the last one i bought. I think i can bring it to life fairly easily; if it has just been sitting. Can this guy sell this for $200? I guess anything can happen. What is a fair price to pay?

i just bought one yesterday running for $200. needs a crank arm, a speedo drive, and a tail light bulb.

i bought one a couple months ago for $150. running. it had a badly-bent rear wheel that i was able to straighten to a serviceable condition.

i had one given to me that did not run, was ugly, and hammered. i got it to run in under an hour.

looks like $100. bike you showed, and if it were me, i'd walk.

if you do get it, though, you should be able to get it to work w/ no problems. i don't care what the masses say, kinetics are bullet-proof, and have better drive trains than a lot of bikes that everyone gets all excited about, like those made in austria.

to put the price tag in perspective, _most_ of these kinetics came from a deal through cosmotors in 2004-2005. people paid $400 shipped for these bikes.

not all of them, but thousands of these bikes came from that deal. i wouldn't pay more than $100 for one.

theyre basically the "shitty chinese scooter" of the moped world. whether or not they are reliable, they are still shittily made. the frames feel like garbage.

Found a peugot. Asking for details. will find out make and model. Price is good- fixer upper. Is this a better direction than Kinetic?

yes, but depending on the model the kinetic might be more fun to mess with. if its a 102 single speed then youd probably have more fun modding the kinetic, but the peugeot would be a much better built bike. if its a 103 or 103SP or even better a TSM then FUCK the kinetic altogether and get the peugeot. 103s seem to be a lot more common than 102s anyway, so its pretty likely.

what he said. ^^^^^

i had a 102SP. parts are not too readily available for these, but they are beautiful, nice-riding, well-built bikes (there is one 50cc kit for this bike, and you would have to modify a pipe for it). if it is a 103, they are variated, and parts are everywhere. french bikes are a little more intricate than a bike like a kinetic, but if it is a 103, it would be worth it in the long run. 103's are one of the more desirable of the common, massed-produced bikes for looks and for the ability to modify.

on peugeots, they made a 25 and a 30 MPH model. the 25 MPH version was designated "U2", and the 30 MPH version was designated "U3". this would be marked on the VIN plate.

if you find a 103, and plan to mod it (carb, pipe, kit, port, etc), it doesn't matter so much. however, if you find a 102, and/or you just plan on using your moped in it's stock form, you may want to check this out. leastwise, use it as a bargaining tool. at such low speeds, there is a big difference in those 5 MPH.

that being said, the kinetic is advertised to do 26 MPH in stock form.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account