Puch electrical question

How many electrical coils does a stock Puch have and what do they do?

There seems to be at least two.

I get confused with the 6 wires running from the stator.

One coil seems to have grey and yellow leads, grey to the tail lamp and yellow to the head lamp.

Another coil seems to supply power to the ignition, the brake lights and the horn?

Am I correct? Are there additional coils on the plate?

Thanks in advance for an explanation.

Re: Puch electrical question

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

diagram attached

1287693583_puchsm118.jpg

I have seen and studied the diagram. Are there four seperate coils? Two on top and two below? Am I misreading the diagram?

-Brian- The Ruffians STL /

Yep, One is for ignition, three are for lights. The small ones are your tail/brake lights.

one is brake

one is headlight

one is tail

one is ignition.

brake and ignition need to be grounded

if you want to simplify your wiring i highly recommend this

The treats 12v coils is an interesting option. How does it's use simplify the overall wiring of the Puch moped?

it turns the two bottom coils into one coil. and instead of 6v it pumps out 12v. the only way it would simplify your wiring would be if you removed the top/top coil, which runs brakelights and ground. then you'd only have 3 wires coming out of the engine instead of 5/6.

Shouldn't this have been in the repair section?

It was not a question about a moped repair. The question was meant generate a discussion about the operation of the Puch electrical system. This seemed to fit within the genera discussion section.

"the only way it would simplify your wiring would be if you removed the top/top coil, which runs brakelights"

yep that's exactly what i did. treats coil has two outputs - i connected yellow to headlight and green to brake/tail light

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account