Screw a drive shaft gear holder - HELP

Ok my honda... the kickstart is jamming. I've taken as much of the kickstart gears apart as possible and cleaned everything and it's come down to a problem of the drive shaft. See, I can turn the drive shaft by hand, but the gears wont turn it. Somehow it's jamming there. The only way I can figure out how to find the problem is to pull the drive shaft gear, but I don't have a drive shaft gear holder. MopedCam and I tried the ol' southern ingenuity wrap a belt around the drive shaft wheel to hold it while I undo the nut, but it shattered the buckle of the belt! Anyone with another idea? Someone here recommended locking down a pipe wrench on the drive face, but I don't want to damage it. In conclusion, whoever that guy is who invented a part that you can't remove without a tool with a 4 word name that no one seems to have, should be shot.

Thundercats Ho

swarm and destroy

Wyn

Re: Screw a drive shaft gear holder - HELP

Almost the same idea as your belt is a strap-wrench. I've got one made from a cloth straping (originally got it for oil filters on cars), And I've recently bought one with a rubber strap. Seems fairly handy, and strong. The rubber or strapping should'nt hurt the shaft......were you facing east as you applied force? :)

Good luck

Almost the same idea as your belt is a strap-wrench. I've got one made from a cloth straping (originally got it for oil filters on cars), And I've recently bought one with a rubber strap. Seems fairly handy, and strong. The rubber or strapping should'nt hurt the shaft......were you facing east as you applied force? :)

Good luck

Just thought any chance you can get an air impact gun into the picture? Somtimes the sudden jerk from the gun works wonders.

Hmm I'll try the whole oil filter tool idea tomorrow, and if I can catch my nephew I'll take it to his shop and just go berserk with an impact gun. Thanx for the ideas! BTW, anyone else who adds things, they'll most certainly be considered and tried if needed.

Wyn

Ron Brown /

Wyn,

I assume you have developed the skill of "bump starting" by now? :-)

Ron

Ron Brown /

Wyn,

I am not familiar with this model and I am sure you thought of this, but make sure of the thread, left or right, before beating on it with the impact.

The impact is an excellent idea, don't even bother to hold the gear too tight, the inertia should be enough to break it loose.

Ron

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account