tomos 70cc won't idle

Jon Clement /

Hello;

I've got a new problem with my 70cc/biturbo, ~75km/h 2000 targa.

Whenever I come to a stopsign it stalls! It runs fine at high speeds, has a good spark, good compression and gas flow.

It doesn't idle, ie/ I can't run the engine unless the back tire is off the ground and spinning a bit.

Does this sound like timing? gap? Suggestions?

tomos 70cc won't idle

John Joedicke /

Adjust your idle up .jj

Re: tomos 70cc won't idle

Jon Clement /
reck OP

It dies even if I pump the throttle while the rear wheel isn't moving. (Unless I hold down full throttle)...

remember, it runs fine except at a stop sign.

Keith Wallace /

Check your brake light- sometimes Tomos uses the brake light as a resistor, if your brake light is loose or blown out, it could cause you to stall or idle poorly when the brakes are applied.

Mitchell Farley /

It sounds like you have an air leak somewhere in your intake. Its probably the area rigth where the carb mounts. That would cause the exact problem you describe. Especially if this only started when you kitted the bike. Just out of curiosity, what setup are you running?

P.S.-You can easily check air leaks with some carb cleaner. Spray that stuff around areas you would assume could leak air, and listen for the motor to either rev higher or bog down.

-Mitchell

my avanti did the same thing rigth before the clutch went out, less than 1000 km what a piece of shit, anyway if nothing else helps i would take it to ur dealer. if u push the bike will it roll or will it turn over the engine? how about backwards?

Sean

Okay,here's my guess .......it sounds kinda' like the clutch shoes have a problem,possibly a broken return spring or debris hung up not letting them return. It would probably not shift real well though,if this was the case and might overrev between shifts. just guessing,Jon! don-ohio (:^D

it could be the clutches and all. BUT when you put the kit on your supposed to drill your idle jet one size higher. I am having the same problems when i start it and stuff. (2000 targa also). Just a guess!!

FREAK

Re: tomos 70cc won't idle -review

Jon Clement /
reck OP

I'll try out these tips this week. Here's a quick review:

Problem:

I've got a new problem with my 70cc/biturbo, sprocket, ~75km/h 2000 targa... fast and loud!

Whenever I come to a stopsign it stalls! It runs fine at high speeds, has a good spark, good compression and gas flow.

It doesn't idle, ie/ I can't run the engine unless the back tire is off the ground and spinning a bit.

Keith: Check brake light.

Mitchell: Check for air leaks around carb.

(70cc worked fine for first couple hundred kms.)

Sean: Check clutch. Roll backwards/forwards...

Don: Clutch spring or clutch problems.

Sounds like it could be the clutch... I'll check it out. The 'ped seems to die as I decellerate. It pretty much putters down with the speed of the engine.

Thanks!

Jon.

Mitchell Farley /

Well, I have a strong feeling it could be the intake mounting screws. I've heard from a couple different people that if you use the stock screws, they have a tendency to vibrate loose, as the screws are not supplied with appropriate lockwashers to prevent them from backing out. With an air leak like that, the bike will seemingly run ok, put right as the RPMs drop, the bike just cuts out, as theirs way too much air vs. fuel.... Try the carb cleaner trick, or just check to see if they are loose, because it can and will happen.

-Mitch

That happen with my kit. I thought my engine siezed, and it was making a really loud and nasty whining noise. I was out riding, and then it started squealing and turned off. Opened the head, couldnt figure it out, it still made the noise. Then i got down whill they were trying to start it and air from the reed valve area was blowing me in the face! Turned out, one of the scres completly fell out, and the other 3 where almost out, and there were the allen bolts supplied with the kit!

Ohwell, got it fixed now, but boy was that a real scare......

-Freak

same thing happened to me but 3 of the bolts were out....and the last one was almost out....they were the ones for the kit and i didn't know what happened until i messed with my carb and then i saw the whole intake move....i had to call my mom and have her bring me tools so i could fix it right on the side of the road....and i have been checking them ever since and a couple days ago one of them were out again but i simply put it back in........

Don Pflueger /

i would put some loc-tite on those screws to keep them in place. if you use the loc-tite blue, the bolts can be removed at a later date if needed but the loc-tite red is permanent.

man it isnt the clutches it is most likely the intake is loose the the bolts came loose or it is your base gasket cuz that will make u shut off when u give it gas so check both of those

Don Pflueger /

crank seals will give you those same symptoms. but to me it really does sound like a clutch spring problem. they may look good but can be weak and cause the clutch to hang up at idle and stall the engine when you stop.

Re: tomos 70cc won't idle -clutch looks bad

Jon Clement /
reck OP

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

I popped open my transmission last night and discovered that my clutch was in bad shape.

It looks like my 1st speed clutch had locked/disintegrated... and caused the drive to be engaged at engine idle speeds... hence the stall. The clutch pads on my 2nd speed clutch where also a bit rusted and worn. I'll go ahead and replace them both..

any idea whether the clutches sell separately from the drum?

my local guy in Toronto will probably charge me a bunch... and suggestions for parts?

Even though I regularily changed my transmission fluid... it looks like the 70cc kit put a bit too much force on the clutch... o well... at least it'll be back on the road.

I'll also double check my intake manifold!

Jon via toronto.

Re: tomos 70cc won't idle -clutch looks bad

yes you can buy just the clutch shoes....they are a little tough to get on but its ok....at rehmerts here in piqua the clutch shoes cost anywhere from 50-70....somewhere in that area....and i think thats only for 1 set!!!(3 shoes)...its pretty expensive

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account