Torque Wrench on Head Bolts

The head seal on my malossi 70cc 103 kit is pretty damn tight. Smoothed out the bottom of the head, using a metal gasket that came with the kit (do you need to replace these every time?). Carb cleaners does nothing at idle, but when I turn it over by hand I can still hear _little_ squeaks, so I got a torque wrench, but damn can you really put that much torque on these things without stripping them?

I see all these people saying like "11 foot lbs" and stuff, but I get the feeling that would strip the fuck out of a bolt or nut or something.

Thoughts?

Re: Torque Wrench on Head Bolts

Maybe I bought too cheap a wrench. The needle doesn't even move at all.

Dick Tortuga /

Just got through torquing the head bolts on my A35. I think it was originally 20 or 25 nm but I converted to 106 inch pounds. No problem... click. That's 9 foot pounds...

Yeah, I can't find a store in SF with a torque wrench that measures accurately below 10 ft pounds. Gonna need an inch pound torque wrench, but the only ones in all of fucking SF apparently start at 120 inch pounds.... which is too heavy for my application.

And they say you're never supposed to use the lower weight setting on a torque wrench, not too accurate.

The old fashioned beam type has never done me wrong, and they're common in low ft-lb increments.

You mean needle-type? I bought one of those first... said accurate from 0-150 ft lbs, BS. Needle did nothing, and it was looking like if I torqued any more I'd be in strip city.

I don't think there's one shop in all of SF that stocks a torque wrench that accurately measures b/w 3-10 ft pounds.

The one I have is made by S&K and reads 0 - 50 ft. lbs.

If that's helpful...

I use 9 ft lbs on a harbor freight cheepo one. I think if you want reliable accuracy you have to shell $

If it's not accurate what's the f**ing point, right? Isn't the point that they're all even and no air leaks? I can do that myself without one.

#CrazyWayne™ rocks. #CrazyWayne /

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200263474_200263474

I just got this one and it seems too work pretty well. Good reviews on it too.

Dick Tortuga /

I always re-torque the head after it cools down from the first good run.

I've always used one of these for building engines: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944978000P?vName=Tool%20Catalog&cName=AutoSpecialtyTools&sName=Auto%20Hand%20Tools&sid=IAx20090815x000001&aff=Y

The type that you set and it clicks to let up pressure when you reach the torque you want is great for suspension components on cars where you may not be able to get a good angle to read the gauge while torquing, but I don't really like them for something I can set on a bench.

I have a 1/4" click type that I bought at a flea market NIB for $15. Made in Taiwan, but at least not made in China. It has always worked fine. Look for a 1/4", they'll be much easier to find in the lower torque range you need. Til then you can get by with a 1/4 ratchet. Hold the head with your thumb and forefinger, put your pinky on the end of the handle, turn til you cant; thats most likely 8-10 ft-lbs. Re-torque after the first ride, but NOT while it's still hot, and then ocne more maybe the 5th ride after that.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account