hubless Solex

Re: hubless Solex

cool, if only it had a huge cog on the back for pedaling

only if you didnt have to use your feet to push it to go over 1mph...lol

very cool looking though, like a solex on crack.

Oh for cool! Are all Solexes that loud? My Hobbit is quieter. (stock). Forgive my ignorance but have never seen a Solex in person.

He's had to make a custom muffler, and also I think the connection between the manifold and the muffler pipe is not so good...and it's not the best running Solex engine I've seen.

those wheels must have a lot of resistance to roll...or is that the new Chinese motor?

I wanna try to jump through it while he is riding!

It has some issues, but its a very cool bike.

That is really awesome. Because of the friction drive the Solex is obviously one of the only types of moped with which this modification is feasible (unless you only do hubless on the front).

Considering how long this concept has been around and never caught on in the mainstream, I imagine it'll probably never really become popular except for the novelty of it. The main issue is that bearings between the wheel and the non-moving rim on the inside. In a hubless design, these bearings roll almost at road speed because they are so close to the outside of the wheel. The whole point of having a hub is to locate the bearings very close to the centre so that they don't have to move that fast.

I imagine that the total friction from the bearings would also be much greater because of how more surface area there is between the moving and non-moving parts of the wheel.

I think I saw that on lebocoin.fr for 900 euros,,, rough

neat look- but - NO suspension, cornering issues too much stress could cause one of those bearings to pop out of their race, bearings wearing out do to overspeeding them, friction issues- loss of HP, - what happens if you bent a rim even slightly- no go jack, but i bet a standard spoked rim would get you home.

great parade bike, not good for long hauls.

does look really good though

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account