1980 Motobecane Moby 50v

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Hello, I am looking to purchase a moped but wanted a bit of expert advice before I go and throw away 200$ of my hard earned dollars on a piece of junk moped.

First question, the seller says that the moped (a 1980 Motobecane Moby 50V) needs some work. He said it has a bad piston and he bought a replacement but hasn't reassemble it yet. Is this something a nooby such as myself should attempt to take on? keeping in mind that I have a couple friends that have really nice Puch Maxi IIs that they fixed up.

Also, If I want to get crazy with my moped in the future and add on performance parts. Is this a suitable moped for that? and what type of engine does the thing use?

Lastly, $ 200 for this Moped? A steal or a bad deal?

Any input would be greatly appreiciated.

Uncertain nooby,

Luke

Re: 1980 Motobecane Moby 50v

If your friends are mechanically inclined, you can swap out the piston in a motobecane engine in 20 minutes. It's SUPER easy, but I dont think I'd recommend a total noob to try and undertake that.

200 for a moby that only needs a piston to be installed is a steal in my area. However, you have no way to know for sure if that's the only problem. Moby's are pretty unique, and have eletrical demons - so if it has good spark, then I'd get it. If you have no way to verify that, I'd recommend taking a pass.

Luke “Funkenet” Hosfield /

Hey thanks a lot for the info. I think it will help me out when go to check it out.

Also, do you know if the bike is a good candidate if I want to make it go fast? In other words, is there stuff I can do to the engine to improve its performance? I can't figure out what kind of engine it uses so it is making it difficult for me to determine what kind of mods are available.

Thanks,

Funkenet

Tony montana /

yes, its a good canidate, its variated and theres a good selection of aftermarket parts. not the best engine for a noob, but ya gotta start somewhere. like nick said definately check for spark. wiring issues can be a nightmare.

Also check the condition of the inside of the fuel tank, very rusty=pass or greatly reduced price. If the engine is apart now would be a good time to replace the condensor, a common failure item on Mobys. Read this site :www.mabecanemobylette.com Best of luck!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account