is my columbia really that slow?

i bought a 1978 columbia commuter for 35 restored it completely....almost waiting on parts but im reading on it and lot of slow stuff on it.....can i buy some cheap parts to SOOP this bad boy up? if so what ones? thanks

-josh

Re: is my columbia really that slow?

big bore kit and bi turbo...

maybe something...cheap?

sorry aha just jet it correctly and put a hole in the exhast?

lol ill try anything

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Sachs or Solo? Pics?

sachs.. i dont have any pics of the motor but its a 505 or whatever

1280820316_cimg0256.jpg

Sell it to somebody who likes mopeds, and buy a motorcycle?

Look at the tag over the chrome cover. Should say 505/1 and then a letter B, A, C or D. B is the worse and D is the best in that order. One thing about stock Sachs bikes is that they are jetted rich from the factory so get a couple jets and experiment. Good gains to be found. Another thing you can do depending on the motor and or exhaust pipe is to cut the header back to where it just reaches into the baffle far enough to clamp them together. Some of these pipes are made in one piece so this isn't a possible mod with them. Get a new air filter.

Still need more. Get a bigger carb and a gianelli pipe.

greg nichols /

columbias usually have A engines, meaning that the exhaust header is the big thing holding you back. a bigger pipe is the best way to gain speed but you have to modify anything in order to make it work unless you can find a gianelli pipe

A engines have the large header. Its the B engine that has the small one. The b also has the smallest carb at 10mm. All around the worst starting point. Looks like he has the square cylinder. So a C or D engine. Which is good if thats what it is. But I might just be seeing it wrong.

My bad. I just blew that picture up. Its an A or B cylinder on that bike.

hmm

spray pained black moped

no rear tire.

who steals a columbia?

Its ride in the pickup was prob the fastest its ever gone.

is my columbia really that slow?

Is that the picture of it it "restored?"

Columbias have the tapered cylinder, a skinny header and a 12mm carb, and no ABCD on the label...

The Asil quich is a pretty good pipe for them, easy to install and makes them a bit faster.

no its not restored thats when i first got it..and for the retard that said its spraypainted........ are u really that stupid? its RUST

around here, we call it "patina"

no one buys a moped to go fast.

when you're willing to start dumping money, speed will come.

tons of wiki stuff on derestricting stock stuff, most mods will work on every ped.

free power = time spent finding it.

or you could pay someone to find it for you

i took 2mm of metal off a part, not expecting a dime more power, but now i expect it to break way sooner.

Hey Josh are you butthurt cause your moped sucks?

Slow down and live, its a fucking moped! Actually you should be able to mod that bike to hit 35mph pretty easy without a kit. Get a pipe, a nice free-flowing air filter, mild porting, and a re-jet. I wouldn't bother with a kit because the clutch is barely good enough to handle stock power.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account