Tomos meets Vespa

Ataristyle /

Vepsas...they're back in the US. What better place to put a dealer than in Chicago! When I found out that Vespas were going back I liked that. When i found out that a location for a shop was going to be in downtown Chicago I knew I had to drive my moped there. I live in a suburb outside of Chicago, so this was going to be a little trip for me. I've been to Chicago with my moped but never downtown. I started work at 1pm Saturday (yesterday). I found out how to get to the Vespa dealer by finding a road that would run into Diversy(street the dealer is on). I left at 9am. I 've been on Harlem many of times and took that to Diversy and made a left on it. It was a long ride of stop and go traffic. I kept on looking at the addresses decreasing. It seemed like an eternity to get to 557. I got to the 500s after an hour and turned around. I found a scooter parked on the side of the street and decided to park next to it. There are few scooters and hell of alot less mopeds around where I live. I walked down the street and found the Vespa shop. It was closed!! They opened at 11am on Sat. With some extra time I walked around trying to find a place to eat breakfast. I found a Denny's type of resturant called "Granny's." Had 2 scrambled eggs, hash browns and 2 pancakes for $5.61. Not a bad deal. I scarfed the food down and headed back to the shop. It was 11:03 and the shop was open!! I waited in front of the store for 10 minutes. I didn't think anyone was going to come so I ripped off a flyer tapped on the window and got ready to go back home. I saw a man who started unlocking the store and I said to him "I was starting to lose hope!" He said "No, No, No." I went inside the shop, asked for flyers on the 50cc vespa and the 150cc and of course they were all out. The people there were very friendly and a couple of cute girls with the word "Vespa" across their shirts. The 50cc Vespa goes 40-45mph and gets at the lowest 50mpg. That is very very horrible for a 50cc. I thought the purpose of a scooter/moped is to save on gas. The 150cc Vespa gets 40mpg. Some cars are getting this equivalant gas mileage. The reason why Vespas stopped coming to the US is because of the emissions. Is it because they have to follow the strict emission rules that new Vespas get bad gas mileage? What do the older ones get(interested in getting one eventually). The price of a 50cc Vespa is $2999 plus $225 for shipping and prep for Italy and the 150cc is $1000 more. Nice price to pay for great quality. Oh, by the way the guys loved the Tomos. In Illinois there is no Tomos dealer. One of the guys asked about the gas mileage on it and I told him 100mpg. His eyes kinda of bugged out. I would expect a 50cc to get around this(normal one...not one off a Derbi GPR50). He liked the BiTurbo muffler on the moped. I let him ride it around the side street and then I had to go. On the way home i hit every red light in Chicago exept for two greens in row. You have to drive very aggressive and defensive in Chicago. It took about an hour and a half to get back. I didn't have time to go home so it was straight to work. I was five minutes late.

TomosVespa.jpg

Re: Tomos meets Vespa

Ataristyle /

2nd pic

VespaFnt.jpg

Ataristyle /

3rd pic

Vespas.jpg

Ataristyle /

4th pic

VespaShp.jpg

Ataristyle /

5th final pic(taken with $35 Digital)

Chris Robertson /

Good mileage doesn't mean good emissions.

Mopeds are pretty bad polluters by the gallon compared to modern cars.

Chris.

As far as I know mopeds should get between 100 and 200 miles pr gallon. The new Vespa's don't sound like to good a deal to me.

daveb

yeah, for that price on the vespas, you're paying more for the "glamour" of them than anything else. it's all image. i'm not a big scooter fan, but i can appreciate them. i like mostly the yamaha razz and honda elite or sprees. those gave a good bang for their buck.

Moped Mileage?

Chris Robertson /

I own five different, running, mopeds. None of them have ever gotten more than about 70 miles/gallon. Am I alone with my lower-than-100mpg mileage?

However, I have no problem believing that a modern moped (or scooter) should be able to get 100 miles/gallon. Maybe you're mileage opinion is tainted by your Tomos!

And here's a question that's been bothering me for a while. In Canada (where we use the metric system) we measure mileage in litres consumed per hundred kilometres travelled (the lower the better). Obviously <b>mile</b>age is a term based on the SAE measurement system. Is there a metric equivalent of the term <i>mileage</i>?

Chris.

Re: Moped Mileage?

Hmmmm

kilometerage? (sounds like crap)

kiloage? (still sounds like crap)

stingykilos? (not!)

How about

"Fuel Economy"?

No Chris... I don't think you are alone with your low mileage mopeds.

I do however think you might be a bit lonely in accurately measuring your mileage.

I measured the mileage years ago on my PA50I (the 21 mph stock model) and measured about 110 miles per gallon.

Remember I can pedal my bicycle 21MPH... and I get 75 miles per bowl of Cornflakes.

But that was before I modded it (PA50I) and have never checked it since. (with a slow leaking petcock there is not much point).

70mpg is pretty low. i think i get close to 100mpg (on my 1977 bianchi). i used my tacometer to check as i added gas. that kept me pretty acurate. sometimes a bit less (leaking petcock), but around 90-105 mpg was my average.

IMHO, it seems to me that if the new Vespas aren't getting great gas mileage anyway, why not just buy a motorcycle?

The Vespas are pretty, but like another writer said, they are mostly for image--and what better place to put a Vespa store--right by Lincoln Park which is aka Yuppieville in the Chicago area.

But if these Vespas will get the Yuppies to give up their SUV's, well I'm all for that!

Tim Taylor /

I've been watching my mileage very closely. I just bought a new Tomos 2001 Sprint and I put over 1000 kms on it in less than a month. I'm regularly getting around 110mpg with it. I ride to work around 15 miles each day and I ride with the throttle open most of the time. The mileage is probably best at full speed for prolonged times as opposed to lots of starts and stops. I way around 210 and carry about 25 pounds of gear with me each day. I have a bi-turbo exhaust and cruise around 40-45mph easily.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account