1981 Honda Express NC50: This is wierd . . .

Adam Kollipara /

I searched 1981 Honda Express in the searchbox on Google, and found these picture from the previous owner of my moped, a member of the Michigan Moped Mafia (M.M.M) in Fraser, MI. It's pretty crazy what they did.

The pic attached is what it looked like when the previous owner, Sam Goldwater, bought it.

I found a video clip of it on YouTube also:

"Mopedman's new Honda Express":http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeAhraZD1iI&feature=related

1277177807_1981_honda_express_1.jpg

Re: 1981 Honda Express NC50: This is wierd . . .

Adam Kollipara /

Another view in the attached pic . . .

1277177843_1981_honda_express_2.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

Aftermarket air filter . . .

1277177873_1981_honda_express_3.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

BiTurbo muffler, still on it, and same moped sticker, P391C . . .

1277177912_1981_honda_express_4.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

Now with GPS and NOS (crazy) . . .

1277177954_1981_honda_express_7.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

The NOS . . .

1277178005_1981_honda_express_8.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

What the moped looked like when I got it, minus the GPS and NOS . . .

1277178042_1981_honda_express_9.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

My moped now, I have the carb cover but is isn't on it yet, got to fix the mounting hole (broken) . . .

1277178345_dsc03734.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

Here's the left side . . .

1277178389_dsc03733.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

What do you think of it?

I've gotten/done:

1) Mirrors

2) Rear tire

3) Rear fender + stay bracket

4) Fixed headlight bucket w/ epoxy (speedometer casing broken) and painted it

5) High beam lens

6) Airbox + carb cover

7) New battery

8) New turn signal flasher (from a Volvo w/ 6V system)

9) All new lightbulbs

10) Cleaned all chrome w/ chrome polish

11) Made BiTurbo exhaust stay bracket

12) Cleaned carb 5x and auto choke 2x

13) 2 keys made

. . . and maybe some other stuff I don't remember. I've put a lot of time into this moped since September 27th, 2008 when we brought it home from the person's house we bought it from.

I just want to show people what I've done and I ask for any suggestions you have for me so I can make this 29 year old moped look and run like new.

Thanks ! ! !

~Adam

adam_1295@yahoo.com

Adam Kollipara /

This is a pic of the left side that I took a few minutes after we pulled it out of Big Blue (our 1991 GMC Safari) . . .

1277217506_1981_honda_express_nc50_3.jpeg

Adam Kollipara /

Here's the right side . . .

1277217550_1981_honda_express_nc50_4.jpeg

Adam Kollipara /

This is a pic of the carb cover.

1277742490_dsc03958.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

This is a pic of the broken bolt/mounting hole on the carb cover. What do you think the best way is to fix it? I tried epoxy, filed it, sanded it and then painted it, but it broke when I put it on the moped. Any suggestions???

1277742593_dsc03946.jpg

dude just put it all in one post...

Seen this, shut the fuck up.

Nice job cleaning it up. How did you get the fenders so white?

Adam Kollipara /

Hey mthomas, the fenders aren't completely white. I think because it was so bright outside it made them look like that. But on both fenders, I used Mr. Clean magic erasers. The front fender is pretty clean and white, but the rear fender is yellowed a lot near the carb, and it has that worn spot under the stay bracket. Thanks for commenting.

Bill_O_MAtic, I can't put them all in one post because not all the pics are on the internet. If I can put them all in one post without them being on the internet, tell me. I've seen other people do it like this and no one's said a thing, so why do you?

And no, Willy D swoopsies, I put this on here on the 21st and never before. Why do you get so mad about something that never happened?

~Adam

Adam Kollipara /

I just got my carb cover fixed a few days ago (see pic). I just cut out the bottom of a dishwashing detergent bottle, cut it into a square, made a hole Krazy glued it to the broken part and then bolted it back on. Shouldn't break anymore now. I also changed the position of the muffler bracket so I could bolt the carb cover on. I cut a little piece of the metal and also bolted the fender bracket to the muffler instead of a wire holding it on.

~Adam

1279293954_1981_honda_express_nc50_complete_3.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

Just got another rear fender off of eBay because the other one wasn't for an '81 NC50, plus it has a worn part on it. The one I bought has a worn mark on it on the top behind the black plug things which I will epoxy. Then I'll put some kind of foam protector thing so the bolts under the gas tank won't wear it down again.

~Adam

1280249224_1981_honda_express_nc50_rear_fender.jpg

Adam Kollipara /

Just epoxied it . . .

Looks pretty nice and I've seen that you've sone a bunch of work on it. Don't get me wrong, but I think that Bi-Turbo's suck. Look way out of proportion to the ped and by the sheer size and configuration alone, I'm sure that it can't provide the best proformance for the bike. A tuned pipe is just that and a Bi- Turbo isn't tuned to an Express, it's just noise. You'd be better off with a stock pipe and it would be much quiter too. Or, go with a Promo or hack & weld somehting else that fits the bike better.

Just my $ .02.

Adam Kollipara /

I've been looking for the original muffler. I bought the moped with the Biturbo. The problem is that the original muffler is too expensive on eBay, especially shipping. Not that many people are selling them cheap. If anyone has an original muffler near me (Northville, MI), I might buy one (I don't want it to be shipped because of rates). The Biturbo doesn't sound that loud but it does wiggle and wobble even though I have a bracket holding it onto the frame and one holding it onto the fender bracket. It also sticks out too much, nearly 2 times the size of the original. I think it makes it look good, but it's just not mean for it (it's really for a Puch or something).

What do you think the difference in performance would be from Biturbo to stock? This is the only aftermarket thing on it. Have you had a Biturbo on one of your NC50s? I don't know the difference in performance because I bought it like this.

Anyone have a Biturbo on their NC50 to tell me the difference?

Thanks.

~Adam

Adam Kollipara /

Sanded down and ready for painting . . .

Adam Kollipara /

Almost done!

Adam Kollipara /

Finished product, ready to bolt on my NC50 . . .

Adam Kollipara /

New top speed over 35 mph downhill. I could only go 28 mph up that same hill, but it's pretty steep, hence the road's name _Summit_. Old one was 32.5 mph down a very small hill.

I've never seen someone post on their own post so much! lol. You must like to see yourself type.

Adam Kollipara /

Most of it isn't typing - they're all pretty much pics to show progress on my project. What makes you think I like to see myself type??? I've seen a bunch of people do this. No one else has commented like that. Someone just said put the pics in one post and that's all.

make a tumblr blog or something lol

tumblr.com

there you can post all these updates and people who care can follow your posts there

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account